• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging Accidents: And They Walked Away.........

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
It is a pass chain you wrap it around the line and hook the end back on to chain that leads to the grapple. And it chokes the line ,we use it all the time when pulling line with another line or pickup. IE pulling the guyline out with the strawline
Its holding , but something about it doesn't look right , some day's its better to be lucky than good . lol

dirty4fun

When I saw the yarder laying there I wondered how they would get it stood back up. Then the next set of pictures pretty much told the rest of the story. Amazing to see such a beast laying over, then brought back up by very little equipment. Great set of pictures showing so much, thanks.

TorkelH

Canoe Creek 120

Hello, Happy New Year to all! Camptramp, when did the accident with the Canoe Creek 120 happen? Hope everything went well with operator. I was up in Terrace visiting them summer 2009, very friendly and hard working people. This is Canoe Creek's second 120, the first one was in the winter picture on the Madill sales brochure.

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 938
  • CCL#1.jpg
    CCL#1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 952

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Camptramp. Happy New Tear. Did you know about the Star in 514,5,6. It is a clean looking unit. Do you know anything or only Oz?

camptramp

Occupation
Happy New Year Blk prince , that happened a couple of years ago , after I had retired from hauling logs in that part of the country . But Island Fiber do appear to keep their equipment in good shape. So no I don't know the particulars on that wreck .

camptramp

Occupation
Oz Nelson Another mishap on the Old Hillcrest M/L about 15 KM out of Mesachie Lake . This truck hauled Slate Rock out of K2's quarry on the Red Creek M/L .IMG 3269 resize.jpgIMG 3270 resize.jpgIMG 3271 resize.jpgIMG 3272 resize.jpg

mitch504

Going back to that chain to cable hookup in post 513:
the only passing chain I find on the net is chain with wide enough links so the links can pass each other and not tangle, but I only find it in little sizes.

I sure would like to know how that is done, because being able to hook a chain in the middle of a cable sure would be handy sometimes.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
All a pass chain is a chain about 4 or 5 feet long with a ring in one end and a open hook on the other . Most chains are 3/8 inch or bigger. You take the end with the hook on it and wrap it around the line 4 to 7 times. Away from the direction of pull leaving 4 or 6 inch's of slack at the hook end. You then take the ring end of the chain and pull it up and hook the hook over the ring end of chain and pull it tight. Then you take the ring and hook it to what ever you are going to pull with . Easy as pie . If I remember and its not raining crazy tomorrow will take a picture .

dunwurken

Going back to that chain to cable hookup in post 513:
the only passing chain I find on the net is chain with wide enough links so the links can pass each other and not tangle, but I only find it in little sizes.

I sure would like to know how that is done, because being able to hook a chain in the middle of a cable sure would be handy sometimes.

A west coast logger wouldn't be caught without a passline chain. It is just regular chain 6 ft long. I'm not sure but the links are probably 3/8" material. One one end is a ring about 6 inches in diameter and a slip hook on the other. To use it the ring end is what is pulled on whether a yarder, cat or pickup. The other end is wrapped 3-4 times away from the direction of pull then the slip hook is simply hooked back into the chain ahead of the wraps. I have never seen one slip. I have seem the chain break but the wraps never slip.

dunwurken

075, I guess we double posted. I've never wrapped more than 4 times and never had one slip. Maybe just lucky. A picture would sure be worth a thousand words.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
075, I guess we double posted. I've never wrapped more than 4 times and never had one slip. Maybe just lucky. A picture would sure be worth a thousand words.

Greasy Import line ,ugh but your right 4 times usually works .

mitch504

Thanks guys, I think I've got it, but a picture would be great.

I've swamp logged(cable skidder), worked heavy wreckers (currently own a medium duty one), and done a lot of other stuff, but never heard of this. I own a couple of chains like that, I'm going to give it a try.

kiwi450x

We use pass chains regularly here too, but I don't do it quite like that. I agree about the 4 wraps or more bit (I tend to do 5 or 6 for luck...) but I just bring the loose end of the chain back to the other end and put a couple of half hitches in it. As it happens I used the pass chain to send the skyline out yesterday but I didn't have my phone in my pocket to take a pic, although I remembered this thread as I was doing it...