• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging video made in the 1940's

dirty4fun

I saw this video made in the 1940's cutting Redwood trees off spring boards. All the way up to the saw mill. Lots of good old hard labor back then. Lowering the loaded rail car by cable, to the a train. Had wondered how they got a big log down to where a train could operate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_YNZn_kaQ

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
That's incredible. I can't imagine hacking away at a tree that big with an axe suspended by a belt. I don't know too many people would even think of working that hard at something these days.

big ben

Very cool, thanks for sharing ! Its videos like this I like to watch when I feel tired or like I worked my butt off but then realize its nothing compared to what these guys did for a living and for what they probably got paid !!!

cubanator

I wouldn't swing on a 20" let alone a 20'... Man have things changed!

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
awesome find thanks for sharing :)

pj

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
They showed just a glimpse of either a Lidgerwood or a Willamette loading boom at one point. Would have loved to see more of that beast.

hoechucker

There's another video on YouTube about headrick logging.probably in the 50-60 era.cat logging in orick,ca can't remember exactly what the name of it was but I found it by looking for headrick logging.definetly worth a look