• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Long term storage of 6v batteries?

skata

I have a scissor lift that I don't use too much, and it can sit for months at a time. Last time I went to use it the batteries were nearly dead and would not recover with a charger.
Can you put a maintainer on these batteries? And how would you connect?

skyking1

yes. how big is the pack and what is the voltage?
Most of them series up to a higher voltage.
You might just pull a few cables and make it a 12V series and use one maintainer. and then bolt it all back up when you intend to use it again.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I keep a 24VDC charger/maintainer on my dozer. It was less than $50.00 about a year ago. Does charge, float, maintain, and discharge to recharge automatically. Grabbed on Amazon but it was marked down. It works very well maintaining two 4D cells in series.

Delmer

Do you leave it plugged in with the charger it has? You could research, or just measure the voltage coming out of that, I'd really be surprised if it's not already an appropriate charger to keep on it full time. If it's not, NOCO or similar will have a 24V maintainer that will work, even if it says it's for a smaller pack, it will work fine as a maintainer for that large amp hour pack.

skata

Do you leave it plugged in with the charger it has? You could research, or just measure the voltage coming out of that, I'd really be surprised if it's not already an appropriate charger to keep on it full time. If it's not, NOCO or similar will have a 24V maintainer that will work, even if it says it's for a smaller pack, it will work fine as a maintainer for that large amp hour pack.
I was told the jlg charger turns off after charging. Decided to check manual.
It seems the charger will turn back on after 30 days or if voltage drops. I guess I should just leave it plugged in?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230922_213617_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230922_213617_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 2