• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Look who after getting in bed together!!!!!

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Cat and Wacker Neuson in 20 year mini digger deal

Wacker cat-thumb-468xauto-79962.jpg

Wacker Neuson and Caterpillar have signed an agreement which sees the Austrian company developing and building mini excavators up to 3t exclusively for Caterpillar. The 20 year agreement will see a new range of excavators designed and built to Caterpillar's specifications at Wacker Neuson's plant in Linz by mid 2011.
Currently Cat has three models of 3t and below but the new range will consist of up to seven machines, starting from 800kg, and will be clearly differentiated from comparable Wacker Neuson models (pictured). The machines will be exported to Cat's dealers world wide with the exception of Japan.
The move could double mini digger output at the Linz plant and will bring savings through economies of scale in the manufacturing and development process.

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Unusual pairing!! If it makes CAT mini's more competitively priced then it will be for the better!!

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Doesn't Gehl and Mustang rebrand Neuson mini excavators?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The cab on that mini-ex looks like Mork from Ork's Spaceship.:D:rolleyes:

Looks like Cat is going after the smaller end of the market to round out its excavator product line. For Cat's sake I hope they have a better design for the new mini cabs.

Hendrik

The cab on that mini-ex looks like Mork from Ork's Spaceship.:D:rolleyes:

Looks like Cat is going after the smaller end of the market to round out its excavator product line. For Cat's sake I hope they have a better design for the new mini cabs.
So you would rather have the square box design, long as it works and you have good visibility and air con and a radio..........

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Looks like Cat is going after the smaller end of the market........

You have to wonder why, CM. I was talking to a small contractor the other day, who has a Cat tracked skidsteer. He was talking to the owner of the Cat dealership here and he told him point blank, that they really weren't interest in the small stuff, because they were making much more money out of the mining equipment.

We had the same thing with Liebherr, made a big song and dance about their wheel loaders etc., as soon as the mining boom hit, management couldn't give two hoots about the small stuff. There were no parts in Australia, everything was two weeks out of Germany and they just weren't interested in our problems.

RnR.

Hendrik

You have to wonder why, CM. I was talking to a small contractor the other day, who has a Cat tracked skidsteer. He was talking to the owner of the Cat dealership here and he told him point blank, that they really weren't interest in the small stuff, because they were making much more money out of the mining equipment.
We'll that's the whole point, cat is not interested in designing small stuff and thus buys a ready made product and paints it yellow.
What Cat HQ decide and what the local dealer wants is not always the same thing, Cat is in the business of providing a complete line up of construction machines to their dealers, if a dealer decides they don't want the little stuff that is their decision. Things, I imagine, would be different in Europe, where the small stuff is most likely a big chunk of the Cat dealers income.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
So you would rather have the square box design, long as it works and you have good visibility and air con and a radio..........

Actually I would rather not have a cab on a mini at all. I have a Bobcat 334 and for what I use it for a cab would be a hindrance. In tight quarters with laborers around, an open cab mini is a safer machine IMO. Now I am sure other folks love their cabs on their mini's and it works well for them, just not for me.

As far as the looks of that mini, it's one only a mother could love...

You have to wonder why, CM.

Yeah it does RnR. I guess Cat is trying to diversify into as many markets and niches as possible. Now they have safety training and an auction house. With economic times such as these, it's probably a smart move on their part.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I guess Cat is trying to diversify into as many markets and niches as possible. Now they have safety training and an auction house. With economic times such as these, it's probably a smart move on their part.

I think your right about that CM. Cat would be smart just doing all things necessary to keep in business as ultimately this is good for all divisions of the company. And it may be that Cat is not interested in producing the smaller stuff, hire it out, and build the stuff they know to build...the big stuff. Maybe the same reason they have JLG build their telehandler forklift.

Hendrik

Actually I would rather not have a cab on a mini at all. I have a Bobcat 334 and for what I use it for a cab would be a hindrance. In tight quarters with laborers around, an open cab mini is a safer machine IMO. Now I am sure other folks love their cabs on their mini's and it works well for them, just not for me.

As far as the looks of that mini, it's one only a mother could love...
I don't have anything on my machines either because of access issues, we'll I got tired of putting the ROPS on and off to suit different jobs, so now it sits in the garden until I get my shed finished. Sure when it's hot or raining I wish I had a cab but that's the curse of the small excavation segment.
That ex does look..........modern........but I can see the advantage of the rounded cab for giving extra vision up high.