• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at a couple of 12 cat graders.

jeff 31

Occupation
I'm a heavy equipment operator for a large local e
I have a small grading business that I do on the side. Starting to get a few big customers and the old 104 Galion is ready for retirement. There is a couple cat 12 graders available in the area. There older machines but are parts readily available for them and what should I look for when I look at them. I have a machine shop and can fix alot. Is there anything I should know about the engines or transmissions I should look out for or anything else. I' nt not afraid to rebush or fix minor things. Just need some what of a dependable machine.

Last edited:

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Not sure what size a 104 Gallion is, but a 120G Cat would be my pick of small graders mainly for parts and backup and servive. Just my 2 cents worth. Cheers RDG.

Komatsu 150

I've never had any problem getting parts for our 1960 12 other than perhaps cab parts. I don't know what the parts supply is lately as I very rarely need to buy much as work is so low and the thing is about as dependable as it gets. I would say the electric start is preferable.

jeff 31

Occupation
I'm a heavy equipment operator for a large local e
Well thanks for the little bit of info you have given me. The reason I asked about cat 12 graders is there is a fellow locally that has about six or seven of them parked around the county and does pretty much all of the work around here and there does'nt seem to be much competition around except me. He's an old school cat boy and that's all he uses. Hell he just did a big lot that usually do. All I want to know is are these cat 12's as dependable as I hear most of them are with a guy who aint afraid of fixing minor things

Komatsu 150

Well of course they are all mechanical so it's just parts. You can fix just about anything on it without too much trouble. A few parts like the brake drums need heavy duty pullers etc. They are HEAVY parts and can be stunningly expensive. I remember wanting to buy a new water pump for it around 1980 and it was $1200.00 But reman was $300.00 and they sold all the parts to rebuild it for $80.00. We've had this machine for more than forty years and have really done very little to it that wasn't operator induced.