• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at buying a used excavator with a dead main hydraulic pump

John V

Hello, looking for advice on buying a used IHI 55UJ excavator with a bad main hydraulic pump. Seller said the machine has been sitting for a few years. Back when it died, he described it as a slow loss of power over an extended period of time, and finally on one job it completely stopped working. I'm wondering if that spells doom for basically the entire hydraulic system, i.e. all the valves and cylinders could have been damaged by debris, or is there a chance it didn't contaminate the system. What would you recommend checking in the system to see one way or the other?

Thanks,
John

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Just my opinion, but there's no way I'd purchase an inoperable machine going on an owners story of "it was operating until this happened". If the machine were operable, I could make judgements of the machine condition and wear and come up with a reasonable assessment if it's worth my time and money getting it back up to snuff. But an inoperable machine, way too many unanswered variables there.

skyking1

If I am not mistaken it is also a grey market machine, with that load of baggage. Run far away.

BluewaterLa

Occupation
Field Service Tech / Semi retired
Parts machine at best, I would not buy it with hopes of fixing it.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Easy enough to pull a pump and have it tested but if the owner let it run till failure you best pass as far too many variables and failures/wear not readily revealed.

Probably best a parts machine as referenced.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would just throw this out there. That machine is not grey market. I would contact CES in E-town, Ky. They are the distributor for IHI/KATO in the USA. I had an IHI years ago and CES was pretty amazing to deal with. I would take the time to call them and ask your questions before you walk away. You may still walk away but might be worth the time to have the conversation.

John V

Yeah I have a 55J2, which is not grey market either. They are pleasant to deal with for sure, but I do find their parts pricing to be high, and aftermarket parts are not nearly as easy to find as Kubota machines. I enjoy working on fixer uppers, as this 55J2 surely has been one. Fortunately the 55J2 didn't have much in the way of hydraulic damage (cylinders needed resealing), it mostly needed an engine dropped into it and pin/bore repairs. I imagine a couple damaged cylinders or valves on the 55UJ and I'd be looking at a real headache.