• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking at cranes for some cabin and shop projects

crane operator

On the 25ton, they made those trapezoid boom, hand lever machines virtually unchanged from 1973, until almost 2000. The winches are great, the booms tough, and they are smooth running simple rigs. The biggest problem is only 80' main, but maybe that's enough for what you have to do. Jibs are around if you wanted one, but that particular machine doesn't even have the stow mounts, so you would have to make those too.

skyking1

I had not spotted that, thank you for your eye :)
The jobs are ~45' square floorplans, so the 74' chart max is enough. That allows for 10' machine center plus 10' setback for any excavation, or just set up at the daylight basement end with no setback and higher boom angles.

skyking1

I think this link-belt has the optional dead section boom to 91 feet. That is what the chart inside has on it, but it also has the jib numbers. Maybe the jib went missing but I see 4 boom sections myself.
This would be plenty with the 91' boom. The seller lists it as the 70 but not the first time an ad was wrong.
https://www.cranetrader.com/listing/for-sale/205039957/link-belt-hsp-8022-rough-terrain-cranes

I found a 28 ton with the same boom and I see the 4 sections here
img.axd

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
What I was told years ago was since the bigger engines are idling so much, they all develop slobber in the exhaust as they never warm up. These were seen as an improvement? I never had any use for either of them and they both would slobber oil all over everything anyway.

skyking1

if it boiled down to engines that 25 ton with the 5.9 or the one in Denver with the 5.9, but I am showing my colors there. Always 6 in a row.

59 North

11' wide and close to 80,000lbs. They are heavy old pigs and nigh unto indestructible. You won't wear it out, and the 653 will wear you out. But then again, you aren't running it everyday. Early pat- looks like it works.

No rust, I don't see any serious problems. I would want to make sure the deadstick jack/stick is all working, and if you've never put deadstick in, don't break it from not knowing what you're doing. They are easy if you have someone to show you how to release tension on the pin, you can make a mess out of them if you do it wrong.

But honest answer- for what you've said you need to do- The jib and main would be enough to do everything you need to do with ease, and not messing with the dead stick if its not working right.
I don't see the T handle tool, to operate the latch, that I recall being attached to the bottom of the boom of some of the machines I was around. Maybe it's just the way the picture is, and is in a different location out of sight?

skyking1

11' wide and close to 80,000lbs. They are heavy old pigs and nigh unto indestructible. You won't wear it out, and the 653 will wear you out. But then again, you aren't running it everyday. Early pat- looks like it works.

No rust, I don't see any serious problems. I would want to make sure the deadstick jack/stick is all working, and if you've never put deadstick in, don't break it from not knowing what you're doing. They are easy if you have someone to show you how to release tension on the pin, you can make a mess out of them if you do it wrong.

But honest answer- for what you've said you need to do- The jib and main would be enough to do everything you need to do with ease, and not messing with the dead stick if its not working right.
That's what I was thinking. I have never messed with the dead stick but swinging jibs is simple. the 85' initial live boom would do the whole job, really.

Last edited:

crane operator

I don't see the T handle tool, to operate the latch, that I recall being attached to the bottom of the boom of some of the machines I was around. Maybe it's just the way the picture is, and is in a different location out of sight?

I have one in my tms300 that has always been in the lower cab behind the seat since I've had the crane. Its not the factory handle.

crane operator

35 ton Terex with cummins 5.9 power.
They're not bad cranes, but they are even worse for frame flex than the truck cranes in that size. I was on a jobsite a few years back with one, and you could actually watch the frame wobble around as he swung around, to get the next piece of iron. He did have all the jib in it and it was a wobbly goblin with all that stick.

When the terex were new, they were $50-100,000 cheaper than the same size grove or linkbelt, and you got what you paid for.

At a powerhouse project the company I was working for had a rt230 terex like that, and a 2000's ish grove rt 600e. There's night and day difference between those two (the grove was a far superior machine- but its also larger). I've also ran a terex rt450, which has like their 70 ton lower frame with only a 105' main boom. It wasn't fancy but it was a picking beast on main with that heavier undercarriage.

The rt230's are only a 8' wide carrier which is nice for transport, but it ends up being kind of light. I would actually take one of those with 5.9 power before I took the link belt with 8.2 if those were my choices for owning.

crane operator

This unit sold by me this fall, and it was a super clean crane with everything working. Its a 99 635c, I have a 700b model which is just a little bigger, and I don't have a use for two that size, but I still kind of wish I had bought it, it was that clean of a unit. Pilot hydraulics, the big 3/4" cable winches, 105' main plus two piece jib.

https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale...m|1,sort|d+asc,mf|1&rr=0.5&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

Knepptune

I don’t think you could give me a 65s or 75s grove. Boom heavy and I don’t like their swing brake setup. The 65s had very little counterweight so you have separate charts for over the front vs over the side. 75s is similar. They’ll pick heavy up close but at any kind of radius they fall off quick.

if it was my money I like that rt625. I’d find a jib for it, or find one with a jib. Those are a very good balance between physical size and useable chart. I’d bet it’s not far off from a 65s with a narrower chassis and lower weight.

that Lorain could be a nice option. You can still get the parts from load king.(the bought the terex truck crane and boom division). I’ve heard their prices are getting a little salty. The only downside is that it has the heavy lift counterweights, which gives it a 98% chance of having a crack either on the frame or the boom cylinder mount on the upper. The only terex I’ve ever seen that didn’t have a crack that had been repaired somewhere was a t230 with the light counterweight package.

Here’s a 625 with a jib. It’s got a 471 Detroit in it which is plenty of power for it. It wouldnt scare me off. I’d rather have the jib with a Detroit then a Cummins with no jib. I don’t think they have the yr correct. I’m betting it’s early 80s.

https://www.cranetrader.com/listing/for-sale/210843215/1990-grove-rt625-rough-terrain-cranes