• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at Mecalac 6MCR - what to look for?

materthegreater

I am going to look at two used machines tomorrow. I know the basics of what to look for when looking at a machine, but (I can always use reminders, and) anything specific to look for on this type of machine?

1000006162.jpg

1000006163.jpg

MG84

Looks like a machine that I might like to run, but not to own. All I see are big dollar signs and headaches in the future....

materthegreater

Holy hoses Batman! Do you have a specific job you’re buying it to do or just adding it to the fleet? Cool machine!

Yeah they have a lot of hydraulics for sure. No specific job. I've been wanting to upgrade to a newer machine for a couple years. If I'm able to buy one of these I'll keep the Bobcat for a little while to make sure it works ok for my purposes and is reliable. There are a lot of jobs where I really could benefit from having the loader feature.

Looks like a machine that I might like to run, but not to own. All I see are big dollar signs and headaches in the future....

Good input- what headaches are you seeing? First hand experience from someone that's owned one for 4000 hours or so would be very helpful but I haven't been able to find anyone that has one of these.

Tags

Stick that boom up into some trees and you may get showered in hydraulic oil.

I think those machines have a spot, not sure where, but I imagine it would start with an owner operator.

MG84

Good input- what headaches are you seeing? First hand experience from someone that's owned one for 4000 hours or so would be very helpful but I haven't been able to find anyone that has one of these.
Complexity is the enemy of reliability. I think there is a reason you're not finding any long term owners.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Well I really like those machines and in a perfect world I wouldn't mind having the wheeled version.

One would be handy as a shirt pocket backfilling curbs and fine grading on commercial jobs. The spec's call for all curb backfill and final landscape areas to be +/-.10' usually 4" below grade for the landscaper to add topsoil. There are always all sorts of obstacles from bollards to vaults to RPZ's to grade around. Anytime we can cut down on shovel work is a good thing.

Just my $.035 adjusted for massive inflation.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Meclac showed up at Conex two shows ago, and have been building a dealership network here in the US, they are from France. I watched the demo they put on and they are pretty impressive. There certainly is a lot going on with these machines, but if the productivity is significant enough it would be worth it.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Reckon it would be great for those running a small excavator skidsteer combo but if it breaks down you're done for the day against a combo if 1 breaks down you're only half done.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The advantage is, at least in theory is that you can do more with one operator. Given the difficulty in finding enough help, I think this machine could help in that area. It can do more and so allow for fewer machines on the job and so less mobilization and allowing other machines (assuming you have them, to be doing other things). I think it is beneficial to more than just a small skid steer/mini ex guy. Any job that has those smaller machines on it could benefit from it. If it breaks it breaks, you figure it out, no different than any other machine. I don't at least have redundant machines on a job in case one breaks. I use a mini and a CTL/SSL on job because that is what I need get the job done. If one machine could effectively do the job I would likely do that.

materthegreater

So here's the scoop

Machine #1 asking $72,500
Dealer (not a Mecalac dealer)
2018 6MCR with ~1850 hours
Additional counterweight
2nd auxiliary
Skid bucket
24" excavator bucket
Ripper
Skid steer adapter
Good general condition
Last service at 1648 hours
Error code presumably due to an unplugged sensor on the boom (overload sensor maybe)
AC doesn't seem to work
Bottom cover of undercarriage is damp with oil but not dripping noticeably

1000006177.jpg

Machine #2 asking $79,900
Private seller
2017 6MCR with ~1130 hours
Skid bucket
24" excavator bucket
Skid steer adapter
Pallet forks
Kubota HB74 sweeper
Somewhat neglected condition
Last service at 864 hours
Coolant level low (still showing in overflow tank)
Battery light on when engine running
Heater fan doesn't work
AC belt missing
Smashed side panel

1000006183.jpg

The Peej

Reckon it would be great for those running a small excavator skidsteer combo but if it breaks down you're done for the day against a combo if 1 breaks down you're only half done.
If it breaks down I think your down for more than a day. There's not much dealer support, few parts stocked and not many trained mechanics.

It would be interesting to run but I am leery of all in one machines

materthegreater

The main dealer for North America is not far from me (or you). Have you been involved in getting parts or repairs for a Mecalac?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Meclac showed up at Conex two shows ago, and have been building a dealership network here in the US, they are from France. I watched the demo they put on and they are pretty impressive. There certainly is a lot going on with these machines, but if the productivity is significant enough it would be worth it.

I saw their booth back in 2017 and thought it was an interesting machine. They have improved on the design since then.

This machine would be perfect for a commercial plumber or electrician that has to trench parking lots and slabs. One machine to dig, clean up spoils (when they actually do that :rolleyes: ) and backfill. Need for a skid and a mini.

Columbo

Without seeing them my uneducated preference would be machine #1. I’m curious where the oil on the undercarriage cover came from though… finding a leaky fitting or hose on that thing must be a pain!

materthegreater

I'm definitely leaning toward the 2018 also. I asked the dealer about it and he said they'd check into it. I'm hoping it's not the rotary joint. The hoses and such in the upper structure actually have pretty good access once you take the bottom covers off. This picture is of the '17 because I noticed a bolt missing- I peeked in there and could see around quite well. Much different than the hydraulics of other minis I've worked on.
1000006190.jpg

The Peej

I saw their booth back in 2017 and thought it was an interesting machine. They have improved on the design since then.
They had a very large both and great display in 2017 and 2020 but I looked for them in 2023 and they were a no show. Made me question what their plan was for the North American market.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
They had a very large both and great display in 2017 and 2020 but I looked for them in 2023 and they were a no show. Made me question what their plan was for the North American market.

I didn't see them either but wasn't looking. Spent most of our time researching tech.

materthegreater

I found a '23 6MCR at another dealer and they are selling it as new with 100 hours on it! I don't understand how they can legally do that. If there's not still factory paint on the blade and bucket I don't consider it new. What's worse is it's 100 rental hours...