• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a big pull type pan

1310monster

What is the largest, pull type, cable operated pan you have ever seen? I've looked around over the years haven't found a lot of people that remember. I have an extra cable control on the back on my TC12 Euclid that I could pull one with. Did Euclid ever make a pull type pan to go with a TC12? That's what I need...

ibc

Occupation
concrete
Like this?

Is this too rusty for ya? I'm pretty sure these guys have a huge Letourno pan at this place too, it's in VA. They were goin through scrapping stuff out last year when the price was real high, I got a 15 B BE off them, but I know he wanted to keep the big Letourno (not pictured). Ed

Attachments

• IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,706

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Big Cable Scrapers

1310monster

The largest towed cable pans were made by Wooldridge (model OS400 - 48 cubic yards struck) and LeTourneau (model NU - 42 cubic yards) but you probably would be hard pressed to find a good example of either.
What I would keep an eye out for is a Caterpillar No.90 or No.491.
They are pretty much identical and start at about 32 cubic yards struck.

Euclid never made a dedicated tow behind scraper preferring to focus their attention on motor scrapers and leave the towed stuff up to other manufacturers.

ibc
That scraper you pictured is unusual (and pretty rusty !)
Did you manage to get a peek at the nameplate on it or had it corroded away ?
It certainly isn't a LeTourneau and from the angle it looks to be the back end of a Koehring scraper which would make it quite rare.

dpull

Occupation
Owner/Operator
Ed,
Did you get any more pictures of this guys iron? Looks like the front of a scraper on the top left hand side of the picture. Is the scraper in the picture a pull type or the rear of a self propelled?
WABCO MAN,
I know I have seen pictures of Euclid Towed Scrapers that was for a Military Contract in one of my Books. They must have not built many as I have never seen one in person. I'll keep looking to see if I can find the picture again.
dpull

9420pullpan

for pull type without dolly it would be the custom pan built for the Big Bud, with a dolly I think the D11's with the 463 bowls that McAninch has.

ibc

Occupation
concrete
Yeah I took a few

He had a lot of stuff from the 40s and 50s. I took pictures of the stuff I thought I might want. It was a little overwhelming at the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,596
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,566
  • IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,700

ibc

Occupation
concrete
ibc
That scraper you pictured is unusual (and pretty rusty !)
Did you manage to get a peek at the nameplate on it or had it corroded away ?
It certainly isn't a LeTourneau and from the angle it looks to be the back end of a Koehring scraper which would make it quite rare.[/QUOTE]

Wabco, Yeah pretty rusty indeed. I bet it was a Koehring because he also had 2 small koehring dumptors that i thought I took pictures of but can't find them.:beatsme I'll keep looking.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Hi dpull

I knew someone would bring the Euclid/Clark/MRS issue up !!

The Euclid scrapers supplied to the military were modified S-24 bowls designed to go behind the Clark & Cat 4WD wheel tractors and not really designed for public consumption which is why I excluded them.
Some have however made their way into the domestic market thru govt. surplus sales.
So while there are a few out there they wern't intended as a "production" towed scraper.

ibc
Thanks for posting those pics - it must have been great stumbling on to that stuff.
I'm pretty sure that scraper is a Koehring - they were only made for a couple of years and then sank without trace.
I guess they didn't live up to all the hype and Koehring quietly returned to making Dumptors & excavators
I came across a similar "stash" of machines last week - photos soon :drinkup

IUOE Man

Occupation
Operating Engineer
I have pulled a #90 Cat before that was converted to hyd.Also had a Cat #70.both had small sideboards added.That 90 would really haul a big load!!!

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Hauling a very large pull pan behind a crawler can really keep you on your toes - especially if you have to run downhill with it loaded.
A very large, fully loaded pull scraper will often be nearly the double the weight of the crawler - and the push from all that weight on the crawler can send the crawler sideways in seconds (particularly on greasy soils), and give you some real handling problems.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
The pans pulled behind Mcannichs D11s are cut down 651 scrapers and would be a whole lot bigger than a 463 which was for D8/9 size machines. Cheers RDG

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
What does you TC12 weigh? That will have a factor in how big of a pan you would want to put behind it.

My Cat No.80's would go close to 80,000 pounds gross when loaded. Pulled them with a D8K and a D8H with the 300 HP spacer plate engine in it. My D8H with the big engine and blade goes about 65,000 Pounds. Parts book says the bare tractor is 49,500 pounds. If you get to heavy of a load behind the tractor you will run out of footing before power and sit there and spin.

Jdigger4130

The BIGGEST pull scraper ever built is sitting in a field coming into Klamath Falls Or, from the cali side! I believe it had 16 tires was built by LeTourneo n must have needed two machines to tug! TRULY GIGANTIC! My buddy has a few cat 60s and A 435(?) in Petaluma in his antique collection. 7UPuller is his handle on ACMOC. He'd be the guy to ask.