• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking for a dump truck. is this one a good deal?

Oldiron

I would rather have the KW, for the price. Check any air ride you look at and make sure its a 8 bag

WHAT anybody that I know that has a body truck with KW 8 bag hates it
Hendricson leaf old neway and especially pete air trac work way better off road
8 bag rides like a dream on road though

Last edited by a moderator:

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Around here all the newer log trucks have air ride.Macks,KWs Petes etc.so they have to be good off road too_One logger went from Mack camel back to KW 8bag air.A lot of the new dump trailers have air ride.I know one thing You can change an air bag faster and cheaper than springs.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
dump

what do you guys think about this 92 peterbuilt?http://waco.craigslist.org/bar/1581433976.html
Lots of info we dont have
Price
Engine
what kind of spring suspension? Im thinking this is, a road tractor with a dump body and Reyco spring suspension. For me, and my work this is not a good suspension. If its Hendrickson spring suspension, it a good one, if the price is good. I still think Peterbilt trucks are over rated, I like my Fords, KW, Volvo
If this truck is Reyco suspension and the truck is in great condition, in my area it would sell for about $7-$9,000, not very popular with a Reyco suspension
One way I tell (most of the time) is look at the dash, if you see a red and yellow brake valve, most likely it was a road tractor at one time, or in some causes, someone added this red valve/knob for air brakes to a trailer
Good Luck

excavator22

92b16si, if you have long hills, unless you get an automatic, you need something with gears. I suggest 10 speed at the least, I had an '87 .mack 5 speed as my first truck and the truck got worn out Also, if you get something with 700,000 miles or up see if it has been given an overhaul, craigslist can be sketchy so be careful.

92b16si

yes we have very long hills, thanks. I am still looking but, all the decent ones go before I even get a chance to look at them.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Don't buy a road tractor for a dump, its going to cost you way more $$$ to make it into a dump than it would be a dump truck... And what is it you like about T600's they don't make good dump trucks in the first place.

92b16si

the thing is, I need it in mexico. it costs me about 3k more to import a dump truck then a tractor , all the dump trucks I find on craigslist are over my budget. I only have about 10k to spend. and all I really like about the t600 its the the front end it has, I like how it slants down. the things I am looking for in a truck are, it must have a cummins, detroit, or cat motor,manual trans, and for it to havea slanted front end. Not a big boxy type. any suggestions where to look for a decent priced dump truck? I been looking on craigslist daily and the websites posted here.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
the thing is, I need it in mexico. it costs me about 3k more to import a dump truck then a tractor , all the dump trucks I find on craigslist are over my budget. I only have about 10k to spend. and all I really like about the t600 its the the front end it has, I like how it slants down. the things I am looking for in a truck are, it must have a cummins, detroit, or cat motor,manual trans, and for it to havea slanted front end. Not a big boxy type. any suggestions where to look for a decent priced dump truck? I been looking on craigslist daily and the websites posted here.
10-4 you been lookin in California, i like the t800s

trucker1

It looks to me like that truck has an intregal sleeper, in other words the cab and sleeper are one piece, you couldn't take the sleeper off, unless you took everything off and put another cab on from a T600 with no sleeper. Unless you want a dump truck with a sleeper.
'
George

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
truck

So I gave up on looking for a dump truck, everyone wants an arm and a leg for a decent dump truck. So I was looking for a tractor to convert into a dump and found this ? what do you guys think. 1996 kW t-600
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/1650652392.html

Its a long way from you and lots can happen on that long of a trip and it will cost you big bucks, when you get broke down away from home.
Is this a removable sleeper? If its not, its a really big job to fill in the back of the cab. If it is a removable sleeper, then its still a job, but a bunch easier to do.
What is the length of the chassis, back of cab to end? Do the math, do you have enough room for the size bed you need. This will most likely be a single frame chassis and probably air ride. It is do-able, but I dont know if its worth the trouble and I know it will cost you more than your stated budget. You will need a PTO, hydraulic tank, cylinder, hoses, dump body, etc.
I can see you getting another $6-10,000 in getting this truck ready to go and lots of work and you will still have a $9-10,000 truck
You will not have low geared rears, so off road you may have a problem.
Not worth it in my opinion
Good Luck and try to find something closer home, tandem in my area are dirt cheap. A friend of mine just bought a 98 Sterling, Cat motor, 16ft bed $11,000. He got it home and put it to work the next day

92b16si

I am originally from chicago, thats why I was looking for it there. yeah it does seem like a lot of work if itan integrated sleeper. damb tell your buddy to sell me his. i wont be using it for a business. I just need to haul chicken poop to my dads avocado ranch.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
dump

Don't buy a road tractor for a dump, its going to cost you way more $$$ to make it into a dump than it would be a dump truck... And what is it you like about T600's they don't make good dump trucks in the first place.

Tonka, this is almost to the word, what I just typed. I agree with you 100%
As for the T600, to my little knowledge a T600 was never a tandem axle dump truck, unless it was a special order. I like T600 & T800 looks but I dont like a dump truck that still has those fairings left on them. Another thing, the front springs most likely be too light, if its not a factory setup, not to mention the rear suspension setup.
Buy a factory dump truck, a bunch cheaper in the long run

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I seen some X cement mixer trucks on Iron Planet in Harris County.I know the trucks have heavy specs.All Internationals. Company pulled mixers off just selling cab and chassis

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Don't forget to check the frame size ...especially behind the cab ... at least it should be double framed with an insert .... you don't want the frame to bend or break right where the hoist is mounted