• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a manual quick coupler

Shovelworks

I have a JCB 804 Super. I've toyed with upgrading to a newer small excavator but with the pricing and availability challenges I'm rethinking. One of the drivers to upgrade is the ability to change buckets and use attachments. Where can I purchase a quick coupler I can install on my machine? I'm in NH.

Tags

I would stay away from a “wain Roy” style coupler personally, the price and simplicity is appealing but it gets loose and wiggly very quickly unless you constantly weld up parts of the bucket and coupler to keep it tight. A variable spacing pin grabber coupler would be the way to go imho if your existing bucket is in good shape. You can get a manual or hydraulic one. I have used this guy for buckets and couplers in the past. seems to have decent pricing and is fairly knowledgeable.

http://www.phoenixequipmentsales.com/

materthegreater

+1 for what @Tags said. Pin grabbers are great, but expensive and add length to your bucket curl radius. What part of NH are you in? Chappel tractor is a great dealer in southern NH. I haven't dealt with them myself but know a few different guys around here that have purchased from them with good success.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have bought three Werk Brau manual couplers over the years. They are reasonable priced and a decent coupler. I would buy another, since I bought a hyd. coupler that will never happen again but there you go.

NHrockfarm

I looked into this recently for my own mini-ex, and I had heard the same complaints of the WainRoy becoming loose over time. My dealer was partnered with Work Brau and WB offers several manual couplers. https://werk-brau.com/couplers/ I called and they put me on with someone knowledgeable about the pros and cons of each. I ended up going with the Kubota style which is similar to the wedge in that there is essentially no pin offset and they're supposed to remain fairly tight. Kubota attachments are also fairly common, at least in NH so that helped me decide. As I recall the Klac was a little more expensive and is able to lock-up automatically (without installing a pin). I'm not a pro and I won't swap often so the pin is fine for me.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Wainroy are not very popular in these parts. Personally not a fan of pin grabbers either, too high profile for my liking.

I like wedge style best because the bucket or attachment sits more or less exactly where it would if it were pinned directly to the stick.

materthegreater

Thank you, I'm not far from Chappell and have bought from them in the past. I will check with them. Jeff

I'm not sure what size your machine is, or what you're looking for, but I could make you a good deal on a used bobcat X-change coupler if it would fit, and have a cleanup bucket I'd sell with it also.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
You may find the attached document of interest.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• GI Quick couplers & pin grabbers.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Jbullfrog

I have a 5ton CX50B that came new with a Werk-Brau and had an adapter made to fit Case backhoe buckets. It is set back slightly so buckets curl correctly around the end of the stick. The adpter I had built for Case hoe buckets changes the geometry, but used backhoe buckets are a few hundred dollars versus a thousand for a new compact excavator bucket.