• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a mini excavator; are these real problems

a.bulete86

Hello,

I'll start off by saying I'm not very familliar with excavators so I'll probably ask some stupid questions: I currently have a china 1.2 ton mini. It's been good for the last 2 years, but I am getting close to starting a new house, some retaining walls ~110m, some fencing, i also need to remove some smaller trees ...and general landscaping work there; i may also need to take it a a few other sites.... have a good amout of work lined up for it... and when i'm done i could just sell it on.
The 1.2 isn't really suited for all that.
I have some very hard/compacted/sticky clay.

So I am planning on selling it and getting a slightly bigger 1.7ton. I will need to work in some confined spaces, so looking for a zero tail.
I've looked at a few 6 machines so far 2200km driving.
1. Schaeff tc19- 2016..... 2500 hours 14500e... Ok overall but had a bad noise when stopping from turning... Like loose bolts on the swing motor...and some.playnin the main bearing. (So not that ok)

2. Yanmar Vio17: 2200h 2020- 14500euro.

Had pretty worn out tracks, a few bad paint jobs, a lot of play in the bushings/pins....some small smoking on start-up.
It dug really nicely...but when I tried lifting it up in the air, the blade was ok, but the boom didn't have enough power...I couldn't hear the pressure relief either. Could only lift it by slowly pushing the dipper forward a very small bit.
Felt like it was using that pressure/flow.

3. &4. also Yanmar vio17 2500h 2012 & 2022...huge play in these, generally worn out...pass.
These couldn't lift themselves using just the boom either. leaks and othe rproblems.

5. Kubota u17 1700h 13500e
Looked like it spent all it's life half way submerged in salt water, it had wayyy too much rust in the undercarriage
A lot of play. But this one was able to dig nicely.
And also was able to lift itself easily, only using the boom cylinder.... i know it the cilinder on top of the boom... more power.
looked much more tired than the 1700h.

6. Hitachi 17u. 2007 machine. 5100 hours. 12500e.
Tracks may need replacing but otherwise undercarriage was fine.
Minimal play compared to any of the others...still something i would likely fix.
The bucket cylinder rod did have a bad smack at one point. left a bit of a dimple on the rod, seal sweating a bit.
The boom cylinder had the seals replaced.... Paint was off around the gland.
The Yanmar engine started righ up, zero smoke (all the other gave a small plum then cleared up). It ran smooth.

The cooling overflow tank had some rust..but no liquid, a bit worried about that. May just need a flush and antifreeze.

This one also couldn't lift itself in the boomwith me on it (... but it could almost if i was off), At least this time I could hear the pressure valve.
If i also provided some pressure from dipper it would raise fine... with me on it.
this guy is doing what i'm describing:

All considering this one looked more honest than the others. Condition /hours.... the 1700-2500 hours on the others.. looked tampered.
It did look like it had some leaves/dirt (at one point) around the valve body All the hose connections on the bottom are corroded. None leak...yet
It dug nicely.. but the dirt there was pretty sandy ... not even close to what i have.
Klac coupler (won't loose power), 3 buckets.

^^This may still be on the list, the others not as much.

The other option is to get a China /alibaba Rippa L330.. 1.7-2T with a couple of buckets, thumb.... Kubota d902 engine, pistom pump, 2 speed tracking ....for around 11500e + 19%VAT + whatever other taxes.. fees... probably 15-16k

My question: should these be able to lift themselves with me on, wsing boom down command only? or am i exagereating with this?

Any suggestion & info is much appreciated.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Stick with the Kubota, Hitachi/Deere, or Yanmar. Maybe also look at Takeuchi. All are good machines.
When lifting up, do one lift at a time. Like put the blade all the way up, keep the stick not too far out and lift up with the boom with power setting pretty high on flat hard ground, then lift the with the blade. Both tracks should be off the ground with you on it. Check that the tracks can move in and out to go through narrow gates. Keep the hours under 2500 when you purchase, so when you sell it you only have 3,500 hours. Look for a machine with a lot of buckets. Post some images of some of the machines you like. I have a Takeuchi TB016 (Same size you are looking at). It's been a good machine. You also might want to go up in size to 3-4 ton or so.

Attachments

• Mini Excavator.jpg
    Mini Excavator.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9

a.bulete86

Hi @PeterG < yah.. that's pretty much what i'm doing.. but most don't have enough power to lift the machine in the boom alone (weak pumps? weak overpressure valves?).... or is it that they shouldn't be able to do that and i have unrealistic expectations.

It's slim pickings out here.

The Kubota and Yanmars looked like they went at least once around the hour meter.
even though they said ~2000 hours.... i can't believe that.
So i'll just have to go by condition alone, and will ignore the hours...maybe
There is a Kubota u25 close to me.. the guy said right away it's 10050 hours, the clock shows 50h.
The only reason i'm not seeing it is because it's a bit too big. that won't get into the places i'd like to.

Takeuchi don't make a zero tail.
the nicest one of the ones i've seen was the Hitachi, had plenti of room, and was extemely solidly buit.... really thick plates for the undercarriage, massive thich cast swing boom knuckle(whatever that is called)

materthegreater

Hi @PeterG < yah.. that's pretty much what i'm doing.. but most don't have enough power to lift the machine in the boom alone (weak pumps? weak overpressure valves?).... or is it that they shouldn't be able to do that and i have unrealistic expectations.
When you boom down to lift up the machine you will also need to move the arm out slightly to maintain a vertical lift. Otherwise the geometry of the boom will try to pull the bucket in toward you which adds a lot of resistance.

a.bulete86

Thank you for the feedback.

I am just coming from seeing a Eurocomach zt18. with ROPS(slight issue with the ROPS).
machine has under 500 hours. from 2021
no play, 2 buckets, good tracks, good paint, all in really good condition.
It has the longer boom (~130 cm from pin to pin)

plenty of power.
0 smoke at cold start
push blade is perfect.
seat 100%

a few scratches, some little ciment on the undercaridge.

i'm getting it.
15800 euro... a bit over budget but comparing to what's out there i think it's fair....and i may not loose too much money when i sell it on.

The only problem i saw:
the ROPS has been cut off 5 cm from the bottom, and welded back on.
i'm not that woried about it, My dad is a profesisonal welder.
i could also have somebody make some sleaves to go over the pipes for reinforcement;.. but i don't think it's really necessary.... dad will decide.

i do need to get a grading bucket,
Trying to figure out what quick hitch it has.
it's probably the AR system here
https://eurocomach.sampierana.com/en/attachments-att/ar-and-cr-system-2/

a.bulete86

Today i made some time to play around on the machine.. helping a neigbour level out his yad.
I first gave it some grease all around, saw the tracks were loose... had some issues with one of them.. the grease nipple was rotated inside the enclosure.. couldn;t move, loosen it etc... managed eventually.

Then used it for around 7 hours.
I am impressed with the mini, powerful, fast and precise.

I could use some help with info for the maintanance:The engine YANMAR 3TNV70, is there a code for a set of filters? or a list of codes?

Can anyone tell me if these track motors have separate gear oil/ does it need to be replaced?

I appreciate any info.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-12 at 20.38.43 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-12 at 20.38.43.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-12 at 20.38.42.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-12 at 19.24.16.jpeg

materthegreater

Wix has a very helpful filter lookup.

This is what I found
1000006275.png

Most likely your final drives take gear oil as lubricant for the planetary gear set. Most have just 3 plugs (drain, fill and vent) on the outside cover, yours appear to have more bolts than usual and I don't see any plugs. It's possible the plugs are on the side.

a.bulete86

Most likely your final drives take gear oil as lubricant for the planetary gear set. Most have just 3 plugs (drain, fill and vent) on the outside cover, yours appear to have more bolts than usual and I don't see any plugs. It's possible the plugs are on the side.

Thanks for the link, and codes.

for the track motors, looks similar to this:
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/kobelco-sk17sr.79579/
So gonna assume it's the same, cooled and lubed by the hydraulic oil.