• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a new start...

Eric

Howdy fellers and felleretts, I decided today after yet another let down in mining to sell my house and give a go somewhere else. I am asking for your help and advice. I'm a decent operator and can run anything accept a scraper. (never been on one) I have a coulple years of driving a transport truck under my belt although I havent hauled anything heavier than 110,000 lbs total gross. I got a MAJOR desire to learn, master my craft, and make a career. Wow that sounds corney. Anyway I'm lookin for something within abou 600 650 miles of SW New Mexico. Pretty much all of Arizona, New Mexico, and up to Las Vegas. Maybe into west Texas or southern Colorado too.
If you guys can let me know who's good or bad to work for, whether or not to join a union ( the company I currently work for is non union), Who pays what, basically any good info you can pass my way. I have a wife and 2 small kids so i don't wanna be hopping around alot. Want to plant some roots.!!!

Eric

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?? :D :D Anyone from Arizona? Granite Const. anygood, Ames?? If any of you guys are lookin, (19 year old sorry I forgot your name) if you want to take a stab at mining Freeport MacMoran is hiring haul truck drivers and operators, kinda boring work but get good back ground on big equipment.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I'm sure there are a couple guys here with a few choice words about Granite and their crew. I'll leave them nameless as they may put in their 2 cents on a voluntary basis. :popcorn

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
if you wanted to move to wyo, the coal mining business is booming, alot of big mines, big iron, big dirt, big paychecks big cost of living. Gillette wy is where most of the mines are, 3 bed apt. if you can find one 6-700 dollars month. they are so hard up for help that they are busing employees over 100 miles one way to run equipment.

joedirt

Ames was good to us!

We only worked for Ames as a sub contractor, but it was a very good experience. They paid there bills, and were appreciative we went the extra mile. Unfortunatley we lost a great I mean great grade checker to them. I think if you are willing to travel, Ames may not be to bad.

Eric

Thanks guys, As for mining, I already do that. Finaly got a straight day job running dozers and such. Worked shift work for 8 years running P&H shovels from 2300 to 4100. Cat 5230 hydralic shovel, D-11,10,9, haul truck from 50 tons to 320 tons and so on. Mining pays, but I am sick to death of it. Would really like to get into construction and really learn this craft of sculpting dirt!!
I make a decent living, my wanting to move is more to do with learning and getting some satisfaction out of my work. Mining is kinda like that character in Greek mythology who pushed a rock up a mountain all day the it rolled down and he had to do it all over again the next day. You are never done. Same haul roads to blade, ramps to push, stockpiles to push, etc....

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums ragerider! :drinkup

Im an instructor at a school for heavy equipment and crane operators. We are Hiring Instructors for our oklahoma city and beaumont texas locations. plus we are opening schools in saudi arabia, and estonia, eastern Europe. The OKC and Beaumont jobs start out at $45k i believe, with full benefits. Its a pretty gravy job, since your guaranteed 40 hrs a week, mon thru thurs and a half a day on friday. You need atleast 5 years operating experiance, a good knowledge of site layout, grade stake setting and checking. Experiance in light excavation math, slope staking formulas would be nice and obviously the ability to teach a class on heavy equipment techniques, safety and light mechanics such as paschalls law. gimme a holler if anyone is interested.

I love riding that ole iron as much as the next guy but i havent came ome with a stiff neck and shoulder from ripping rock all day in a long long time lol and i come home usually as clean as when i left.

Mass-X

I'd highly recommend you check out Ames Construction. I'm not sure if they're union in Arizona (I think they are) but they're one solid outfit that does heavy civil work all over the western US. A very impressive company everywhere I've seen them operate. Check out their job openings on www.amesconstruction.com

Rummel Construction used to be the big player in scrapers in Phoenix, but they didn't branch beyond the housing market and it's caused some hard times in the last year. I heard they scored a 20 million cubic yard gold course and they've got everything at that site right now. It's probably worth checking out, but I don't know how much future they've got at their current size. www.rummelconstruction.com

Kiewit Western Co. has a location in Phoenix where they base a lot of their western operations, but about the only way to get on as an operator with them is to be called through the union. Granite Construction is pretty much the same. www.kiewit.com and www.graniteconstruction.com

American Asphalt and Grading and Las Vegas Paving are two impressive outfits out of Vegas. You'd have to feel out their current workload. I know the downturn in the housing market has slowed American down a bit. www.aaandg.com and www.lasvegaspaving.com

Aggregate Industries owns Frehner Construction and Southern Nevada Paving, two large contractors based out of Vegas. You can check them out at www.aggregate-us.com and see what they've got open. From what I recall, they're union so operator positions will most likely be through the hall. I've only seen a few Frehner projects, but everyone that I've seen has made me sit up and take notice.

I'd recommend you join Local 12 and see if they can place you. You can't go wrong going Union and they're your best bet to getting on as an operator with any of the big companies.

Play around on www.constructionjobs.com as well. There's not a whole lot of operator positions listed there, but you may be able to find some to get you started.

With the current downturn in the housing markets the two hottest sectors for construction are in the civil and mining sectors. As has been mentioned, there are a lot of new mines opening up and they're desperate for personnel in a lot of cases.

Couple that with numerous BIG infrastructure projects getting ready to take off over the next few years and your best bet is to get in with a company that caters to that market if you're wanting stability. For example, I know UDOT is going to be doing over $4 billion of highway/bridge/freeway work starting next year and going for 3-5 years. Try to find a company that's going to be in on those types of projects if you want stability. Right now, working in the housing market sectors of construction will probably have you and your family bouncing around.

Last edited:

Mass-X

My bad on the locals. Local 12 is Southern California/southern Nevada. Local 428 is Arizona.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Idaho has (southern half) has an unemployment rate of less than 2%. If your good you can bring good money. Certainly no problem finding a good job.

Prospector

Eric,
I know that this is an old thread but things change over time, so I will let you know about an open pit that is opening soon (in 2013), in southern Arizona. It is called the Rosemont Mine. It is about a 15 or 20 minute drive south from Tucson, AZ.

I used the name "Prospector" for a good reason, I lived in the national forest for 10 years while prospecting, primarily for gold and silver. FYI, I own a silver deposit that I need help with, if anyone is interested.