• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a track loader

gwhammy

I would pick the 53 although I own a 63. I do a lot of brush and the extra weight and power helps. I've had 53's also and they are my favorite. Really fast on their feet if that makes sense. Do try to find a wider pad machine if you can, they really stay on top better. They are a lot easier to move at the 30,000 lb. wt. also.

ih100

That is a great idea.;)

I have 4K hours on my factory original '53C's rails, turned at 3800 and I expect to get 5500-6000 out of the rails. Operating conditions are as varied as operators and opinions. :cool2

What kind of work are you doing? I know 53's are easier on chains than 63's in like-for-like work. The last but one 63 I operated didn't have a ripper and was horribly nose heavy when working, and ran on SALT chains. The rails had started to scollop quite badly after about 700 hours, and had stretched quite a bit. It had spent 600 of those hours on a very abrasive granite sand.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What kind of work are you doing?

The loader spent it's first 500 hours and first set of pads working in a chert pit. Chert is a clayey gravel/rock formation that can be highly abrasive, obviously. lol

The rest of it's time has been spent on various tasks from clearing and grubbing to demolition, loading trucks, grading pads and all the other tasks loaders are good at.

This will give you an idea of our varying site conditions we operate in as I am located in a rather unique area of the state where the Appalachian Mountains end and the coastal plain begins. Our soil conditions range from solid rock to sand and everything in between.

I am located in the center of the state where the formations come together, right above the "B".
http://geology.about.com/od/maps/ig/stategeomaps/ALgeomap.htm

Last edited: