• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for Case 580 SE Manual

Steve54321

Hello,
I just got my first tractor, a Case 580 SE. It is a skiploader. No backhoe, just the loader and a gannon box. 2WD. got it for $8,000 from an old man who told me it was ready for work. Trying to figure out year and get the right manuals.

The name plate reads:
model no. 580 SUPER E
Product I.D. *17026724*

On the first day that I used it the tilt cylinders on the bucket started pissing hydraulic fluid. I had them rebuilt and also got new hoses and slapped them back in and on the second day of use all 4 cylinders on the Gannon started leaking. I took them all in and had them rebuilt and new hoses. (the shop actually gave me someone else's cylinder back for 1 of the 4 and had me super confused for about an hour when i tried to put it back together) and now the steering cylinders are leaking. not very bad though, (yet). I've been using the general purpose hydraulic oil from Sam's club.
-Side note: none of the gauges work with the exception maybe of the gas gauge but i cant tell if its actually working.

I've noticed that the last few times I've used the it, when I shut it off, water poured out underneath. Not exactly sure where it was coming from, but it seems like it came from a somewhat large hose on the side of the engine block that comes down and isn't connected to anything(drain?)

The coolant reservoir is full but after it cooled down a bit i popped the radiator cap and could not see any fluid. I am supposed to be seeing coolant in the radiator from the top right? The tractor seemed hot today after I used it, I heard hissing from the radiator and that's what prompted me to stop messing around and join the forum, get the shop manual and go through everything before I damage the machine. I need to fix the gauges. I want to do this machine right since it's my first foray into tractor life, but I might want to get a 4x4, maybe something a little newer. Ive already spent about $1300 on getting the 6 cylinders rebuilt and 10 new hoses. I just bought my first house, a 10 acre farm in gold country, Northern California and a 4x4 will be a big help in rainy season.

Thanks for reading my monologue,
Steve

Tinkerer

The expansion tank usually keeps the radiator full, unless the coolant in it is too low or there is defect in the line that goes from it to the radiator.
The radiator should be full at all times, if there is a functional expansion tank connected to it.
You need to find that leak. The cooling system has to be leak free (sealed) or the expansion tank will not function.
Look closely at the water pump for the leak.
4x4 is nice, but I always thought that when it is wet n muddy outside the machine should stay parked to avoid making a big mess.
Also the fwd is an can be an expensive repair when it may be needed. IMHO.

RES

No help with the machine, but Peaceful Creek for the user, repair and parts manuals. You may not think so but the parts manual is a great help with good pics.