• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to chat about cordless power tools/kits! Leaning towards Milwaukee

Occupation
Retired Heavy Wrecker Operator
I have always bought snap-on, but have not been happy with my cordless 3/4 impact, bought a Milwaukee 3/4 earlier this year, battery lasts longer and the tool has more torque then I expected

fastline

What I did was hit the Depot and wrote down prices on many tools. So far, it does NOT look like the Combo kits will save me much, especially if I have to accept at least one tool that I don't want, like the 6.5" circular saw instead of the 7.25".

I am trying to figure out if I can get deals on Milwaukee? I have concluded that Rigid stuff is strategically priced about 75% of where Milwaukee is. So if I can score at least a 25% discount, that becomes a no brainer. However, I am also thinking down the road and every little "gotta have" tool that come out with.

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
I think I should also add that the “gotta have” turned into genuine must have with every extra I bought.

The last example being the cordless ratchet. I’m old enough to have used air ratchets before and had my knuckles rapped and ear drums bleeding from the hideous things.

The first job I used the Milwaukee ratchet for was pulling an engine from a digger. All the hose clamps and firewall bolts just sailed off with it.

fastline

I think I should also add that the “gotta have” turned into genuine must have with every extra I bought.

The last example being the cordless ratchet. I’m old enough to have used air ratchets before and had my knuckles rapped and ear drums bleeding from the hideous things.

The first job I used the Milwaukee ratchet for was pulling an engine from a digger. All the hose clamps and firewall bolts just sailed off with it.

While I agree, it seems no one yet has truly made a cordless full impact ratchet like AirPro has offered. Look up a video of that!! These things FLY and that is what I am looking for in a cordless!

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
I have a brushless Milwaukee 1/2" impact gun - amazing torque but it's fairly bulky and heavy. Recently I bought an AirCat (NitroCat) 1/2" air impact gun - it's lightweight, compact and has a bunch of torque. It's now my go to impact gun in my shop but I'm a huge fan of Milwaukee cordless tools.

fastline

Well I have wasted some hours trying to convince myself that Rigid was a good way to save some bucks. While I think that is true, I think my time and direction of this thread now should be "where can I get a deal on Milwaukee tools?" I am not going to accept anything but best in class FUEL tools. They might be heavier but I will deal with it.

About everything I can find is that Rigid makes good tools, but they are in some cases inflated on the specs and that is enough for me. It has been said that Milwaukee uses the same manufacturer as Rigid, which is TTI, but has ultimate quality control and R&D on their line of tools. I messed with the Rigid 4.5" grinder and was simply baffled at the on switch! I could barely operate it with clean hands. throw on some grease and I would eventually throw that thing! Its little things like this..... Then there is also the unspoken "pros among pros" holding red tools. Sort of like when I show up with my Fluke meters to a job.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Acme tools will have some good deals on Milwaukee...have bought alot of my DeWalt thru them. The toolguyd website will also list daily hot deals when they happen.

The key is to sit back and wait for a good deal...then jump on it, lol.

Ed

Jonas302

The lesser brands are fine for bit but go try to buy a battery for a 20 year old rigid

fastline

Maybe? This quote about cords and hoses takes all the guesswork outta that:D

I am 60 and have been in the trades all my life, so I know what a smidge of 'old' feels like....:eek:
Hey, I am a manufacturing guy so I have a strong appreciation for air and cords when needed. Air has a distinct advantage for some things but believe it or not, compressed air is far from cheap! 20yrs ago, if you had 5min work, cordless was your guy. Now that has been pushed to 50min! We are finding more and more things to use cordless on, but the biggest thing for me personally is having functional tools in my truck for remote work.

I bought $2K in hand tools years ago because I was tired of visiting people to help them and ask, "do you have a pair of pliers"? They look at me perplexed, and 10min later show up with some wally specials. I plan to be one of the few civilian trucks rolling around with service truck level goodies..... Rule 1, cover your 6.....

Queenslander

You would think a tyre shop would be one place you would see air impacts.
They have a use for them all day every day and have to have air in the shop regardless, but last time I bought tyres they were using Milwaukee 1/2 inch impacts for cars and 4wds.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
Last year Amazon had a holiday deal on a very small 12V Bosch driver and I couldn't pass it up. It's my first and so far only cordless Bosch tool which is a bit inconvenient but I really like the tool. Its small size makes it really handy to use in tight spaces.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
You would think a tyre shop would be one place you would see air impacts.
They have a use for them all day every day and have to have air in the shop regardless, but last time I bought tyres they were using Milwaukee 1/2 inch impacts for cars and 4wds.

On my DeWalt 1/2 impact, setting 1 is 100 ft/lbs for torqueing lug nuts. :)

Ed

Don.S

I have rigid tools and am very happy with them. Part of the reason i went with them is because the circular saw uses real size blades. I have the 1/2 impact and it works very well.

JD955SC

Milwaukee is definitely great for mechanic’s tools- they have put a lot of innovation out for the mechanic/industrial fields. Powerful impacts, including two 1” impacts, great mid torque and stubby impacts for tighter areas, great ratchets, etc.

Beware when buying the big kits a lot of them offer the older, brushed tools with less power. You want the Fuel brushless tools and the latest generation of them, not the older stuff, particularly when it comes to impacts. The brushless also tend to be better on power consumption. The high draw tools like the grinders, circular saws, sawszalls need the bigger amp hour batteries. The kits also tend to include the smaller batteries.

fastline

I bought red tools today! the HD has a lot of free battery deals with tools, and some discounts. I was also able to work a further discount direct with the HD Milwaukee rep. I cannot say I am all that impressed with the drill and driver, but I will try to get used to them. I think people are infatuated with "power" but I need control and the first thing I noticed is the drill, even on the lightest clutch setting, will not set reliable torque because it seems like they are using the BLDC motor current to set that rather than a slip clutch. My old Dewalt still does it better!

We played with drivers at the store and I think they will all sink a screw but they have this "tap screw" setting that I simply would never trust. Bells that sound good but won't work in the field. We stripped out several small screws in sheet metal. All I really wanted was something that would run at higher speed but less torque but seems you get the less speed AND less torque deal.

Also, none of these drillers will start up at a near zero speed. They seem to jump right from full stop to about 10rpm, which is not an issue for making holes, but it is a problem trying to get lined up on a screw again. I have my suspicions that they use very low resolution tach cards and need to see decent rotor speed just to pick up because they don't use a real encoder. Something a brushed tool just doesn't care about. That could be solved with more tach resolution but I am sure it is a cost issue. I have noticed this same thing with a Dewalt brushless as well, so I am not just attacking the reds.

I have not yet driven anything with the 1/2" impact but I don't think I will have complaints there. It seems to have a nice progressive trigger so control should work out well.

I did not get any M12 tools but I am hopeful the smaller tools will have more refined skills and I think the little 3/8 or 1/4 impact could be in the near future. I work with a lot of smaller stuff where power is not really needed, just light, compact, and easy to control. I use the hell out of my little 12V Makita drill...probably more than the bigger drills. IDK, maybe I should have looked more at Makita.....

AzIron

My dads gen 2 millwakee drill has better trigger control than my gen 3 but mine is smaller and has more power so it's a trade off

Makita is pretty good I have a drill and impactor for the house its 10 years old and going and I like it but it is really light on power compared to my millwakee

daveyclimber

I just recieved the standard pistol grip 1" impact to remove and reinstall 1-3/4" cylinder rod nuts did a great job. My 3/4" Milwaukee is ok but seems a bit weak. Love both of my 1/2" impacts. Only need for an air compressor anymore on my job is to inflate tires and blow out coolers on the mulcher.