• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

loud cracking sound from under Bobcat 453

jsimpson

My Bobcat has begun to make loud cracking sounds from underneath periodically. I can see no cracks on the framework and everyhting functions normally. What should I look for?

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
bushing pins anything thats moveable

rubber mounts etc.

jsimpson

It's not a regularly occuring cracking sound, such as would come from something being loose. It's a VERY loud cracking sound occuring very infrequently (although more frequently as time goes on) like something breaking. It occurs more frequently when the bucket is heavily loaded or when going over uneven ground.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
Look for play in the wheels. Side to side up and down, ETC. Possibly where the wheel housing assemblies mount to the unit themselves. We (My employer) had a Case 1840 that had segmented (air boss) wheels and tires on that skid loader. It actually was two of the axle housings started to crack the mounting surface from the frame of the loader.

jsimpson

Thanks; since I have solid tires, that should be a logical place to begin my investigation!

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
Jsimpson have you found out anything further on with this loud cracking sound? :beatsme :beatsme

jsimpson

Still moving; still using it; still making cracking sound every now and then. Don't know WHEN I'll be able to check it out...

jsimpson

It's wheel bearings. Dealer wants $2800 to replace them. Any better suggestions?

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
do you use the machine in the winter for snow removal? if so then set down and do some math. how much will you make moving snow this winter over how much the dealer wants.

now honestly since we all going into the slow season me personally id find this a great time to learn a lil more bout my machine and tear into it my self. you work for your self so there is no doubt in my mind that you probally have a nice collection of tools . take the time this winter to go thru the machine and do some maintenance . that what id do personally. but it all comes down to cost effectiveness if your gonna have to spend 3 grand on tools plus then buy the parts let the dealer do it. if you have the tools and all you have to do is provide the time effort and the parts thats the route id go.

payton