• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LOWES Augers

Oxbow

We have a Cat 287C, and I have a contract coming up that will take about 2 weeks of straight augering, 9" bit, holes need to be 6ft. deep. I did the first phase of this contract last year and rented the auger driver and 9" bit, and bought a 2' extension.

The job went well and they have expanded the scope of work significantly for this year. There is a Ritchie bros auction coming up on Tuesday near me, and I see that they have a number of new skid steer auger drivers including bits. They are new, and the Lowes brand.

Does anybody have experience with this brand of auger? Are they like the Witzco lowboys that are always at Ritchie Bros. auctions or are they well made?

I have quotes from several dealers and they are in the $3000 plus range. After this project I will only be using the auger occasionally (as far as I know), but I would hate to have the auger fail in the middle of this job and have to rent or buy another anyway. The project is in a remote area of Wyoming, and running to town for parts/replacements is an all day exercise.

Thanks in advance!

bobcan

Hello Oxbow _ Not a ton of experience with ours, but we have had a 750 series one for a year or so now.. Only popped a few 9" and 12" holes (maybe 6ft deep most) and into Heavy Clay Soil here.. Seems to work well as any I have been near for sure, and like you may find if not too many others interested at the time, the RB prices may be quite attractive for sure!! We got ours (looks like NOS) w- 2 bits for a touch over $1100 CDN _ unbeatable around here for sure _

Looks just like these : http://www.smithequipmentcompany.com/lowe/lowe-skid-steer-auger-attachment-750.php

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have a Lowe 1650E that I bought in 1995. It has dug an untold number of holes in cobble rock. The linkage has some slop in it now, but the auger itself works as well as it did when I bought it. I have even hooked it up to the high flow side and have not had any issues (it is a low flow auger). I would buy another if I need to.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
I also have a Lowes Auger that has dug thousands of holes. used to be e the go too guy for a pole barn builder in my aera. Decent Auger in my humble opinion. We have run it off of our CAT 299XHP and 289 D ....I have run on the low flow and hi flow sides of the equipment with no issues....depending on how you treat it , I think you would be pleased with the Lowes Augers....RB has some good deals on stuff every now and again.....good luck.....

Last edited:

Digdeep

They are a small company that has stayed in business since the early 70s. I would hesitate to buy one. Good augers and trenchers.

Oxbow

Thank you all for your thoughts, I think I'll try and get one tomorrow.

Are the spare bolt on teeth for the leading edge of the flights readily available, or need they be ordered in?

Thanks again for your replies.

Oxbow

Well, I am now the proud owner of a new Lowes 750 auger driver with 9" and 12" bits. Had to go to $2400, but hopefully I saved a bit by the time I go to Salt Lake City to pick them up.

You really have to wonder about the auction when you see a single bidder bidding on all the new Lowes augers in the auction, whether or not they are actually the seller.

Thanks again for all of your input.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
That is about what I have seen them go for on other auctions, I saw one set go for 2200 but that is as cheap as I have seen. It would surprise me more if someone wasn't bidding it up. They all seem to go for about the same money everytime. I doubt it is just by chance that the market is that consistent. If you come through Idaho Falls on your way down or back up let me know we will break bread.

bobcan

Good for you, I am sure it will serve you well from what others say here, and our limited usage _ and Yeah, they are indeed 'all over the map' for what they bring, just takes Two Guys who want one that day.. Luckily when we got ours we seemed to be the only ones, the next week (500+ miles away) the same one sold for twice the price _

And I also kinda doubt that Ritchie's wants anyone to even THINK that someone is Bidding Up _ they have too much at stake, I would think _

Recent Sales : https://www.rbauction.com/Lowes-750...ydERhdGV8MSZOdGs9TW9kZWwmTnR0PTc1MComTnR4PQ==

Oxbow

That is about what I have seen them go for on other auctions, I saw one set go for 2200 but that is as cheap as I have seen. It would surprise me more if someone wasn't bidding it up. They all seem to go for about the same money everytime. I doubt it is just by chance that the market is that consistent. If you come through Idaho Falls on your way down or back up let me know we will break bread.

Thanks KSSS, but I think I am already South of you (Blackfoot).

Good for you, I am sure it will serve you well from what others say here, and our limited usage _ and Yeah, they are indeed 'all over the map' for what they bring, just takes Two Guys who want one that day.. Luckily when we got ours we seemed to be the only ones, the next week (500+ miles away) the same one sold for twice the price _

And I also kinda doubt that Ritchie's wants anyone to even THINK that someone is Bidding Up _ they have too much at stake, I would think _

Recent Sales : https://www.rbauction.com/Lowes-750...ydERhdGV8MSZOdGs9TW9kZWwmTnR0PTc1MComTnR4PQ==

Don't get me wrong bobcan, I was not pointing fingers at Ritchie Bros., but just how do 4 or 5 brand new augers end up at every auction?:cool:

bobcan

Don't get me wrong bobcan, I was not pointing fingers at Ritchie Bros., but just how do 4 or 5 brand new augers end up at every auction?:cool:

Oh, believe me, I have thought the same on MANY Skid Steer items they sell _ LOWE Augers for sure (half dozen at many RB Auctions around here over past year _ and are again coming up!!) and SO many TOMAHAWK and WILDKAT pieces that I finally just had to 'assume' they may have bought a bunch (100's _ maybe 1000's) from manufacturer or a large distributor and/or they were 'old designs' perhaps getting blown out by manufacturers, maybe..?? :-o

** and and we bought a 'combo' of a trio of brand new STOUT attachments (8ft Snow Bucket, Forks and Receiver Plate) that have seemingly been offered at almost every sale up here over the past year.. Prices really VARY on them, but the price we paid we were quite happy.. a nearby neighbor is going to a sale here in a few weeks and hoping to get The Same Package if he can.. They have sold up here for $1,500 to $5500 for the SAME package, and I gotta think the Low End that no one is making much, and surely no one is bidding it up either..

Take care there, I hope the machine serves you well, as I am sure it will from all the Good Feedback on them.. Thanks for chatting all!!