• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

M Series Controls

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I know I saw it somewhere a long time ago.......does anyone know where I can find a pic showing all the functions on the M series joysticks, showing how to operate it? Just curious.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Have you tried Cats web site? I think if you download a brosure of any of the blades it will have a detailed view of what button does what.
If that dont work, just grab a Cat key, head down to the nearest Cat house and play around after hours!:drinkup

Paystar

Occupation
Well I got my Cat key........think they'll mind? :D Problem is I might not want to return it.:beatsme

Glen Bell

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator at a coal mine
I run that grader quite often at work....what exactly do you want to know? Are you going to get some time in one and want a preview so you aren't "going in blind"? I can type out all the controls for you, but only makes sense when you have the sticks in hand to see the machine's response....

Glen

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
Here you go.:drinkup:thumbsup

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 762

Paystar

Occupation
Thanks Glen Bell, but looks like Diggerop found what I was thinking of.
No not going to be running one, just interested. Last time I was ever in a grader was in the early 90's, snowplowing with a Champion. I was just curious to see how the joystick controls actually work in a grader. I have run Cat 988 and 992's with stick steering and found them to be way nicer than a steering wheel. I can understand the issues that may appear at high speed travel though.

Thanks.

diggerop

Occupation
The joystick steering on the M graders does not work quiet the same as on the joystick steering on their loaders (994) and tiger,( rubber tyred dozer). On the 994 and tiger and I mention only these two machines as we have them on site plus two brand new 16M's, the steering joystick returns or self centers just like any (most) hydraulic levers and only steers when you move it from center and depending how far you move it how fast it articulates and when the lever returns to center the machine stays articulated or wherever you took it too. Simple we all knew that,:).

On the grader, the steering joystick and only the steering function, left and right, is not self centering, it does have an indent in the straight ahead position. When you move the stick a bit the wheels move a bit and they both stay there until the stick is moved again. Move the stick as far as it goes and the wheels go as far as the go. You do not control the speed at which the wheels move, like on the 994, only the turning angle. And first impression is that it is fairly quick.

This may make it a bit clearer for those who have operated one type of machine but not the other. They(994 & M) are joystick steering in name only and work different and may explain why there are issues with the M steering for some. I have only had about two hours on the M so far and that was just getting used to the controls, I did try to try that speed sensitive steering only once but did not notice anything.

:drinkup:drinkup

Attachments

• Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 679
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 677

diggerop

Occupation
Just remembered :D I think :rolleyes: that with that speed sensitive steering the wheels still respond the same but that the stick tension increases and it only happens over a certain speed. 20 kph seems to come to mind. I will stand to be corrected on this.

JBSSU

Just remembered :D I think :rolleyes: that with that speed sensitive steering the wheels still respond the same but that the stick tension increases and it only happens over a certain speed. 20 kph seems to come to mind. I will stand to be corrected on this.

They've upgraded the steering software a few times from the original machines... there no longer is a cut in or cut out speed for the speed sensitive steering,it's constantly changing all across the speed range.... but it doesn't change stick tension on the joystick, it slows down wheel response as the machine speed increases....it is definetly something to get used to, but just like a wheel loader with joystick steering.....once you run one you'll never want a steering wheel again

9420pullpan

I could get use to the controls but keeping the machine straight is very difficult due to the control pattern. :my2c

Last edited:

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
thats crazzy! im heading to the cat house this friday cant wait now!

Truckin4life

Occupation
Concrete Plant Operator.
Im goin to have to get in a M class blade now...
I wanna give these controls a shot.

VeePlow

I just about ran into our building in one of the first 16M's. I had so much going on I couldn't remember to disengage the tranny before trying the brakes. Got my heart going pretty good... that's a big grader to not be able to stop!

I'm no operator though.. It's a pretty slick setup.