• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mack CL350 ST logging truck

dmills1419

Occupation
Self Employeed Model Truck Maker
ap40rocktruck; I'm curious, what did you use for treadplate on the fenders. Did you use any "kit" parts, or is everything scratch built? Once again, fantastic job, the truck looks great. Looking foreward to seeing it with a trailer & load.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
ap40rocktruck; I'm curious, what did you use for treadplate on the fenders. Did you use any "kit" parts, or is everything scratch built? Once again, fantastic job, the truck looks great. Looking foreward to seeing it with a trailer & load.

I used Plastruct .020" thick styrene diamond plate for the tops of the fenders. The model is about 90% scratch built from ABS, brass, aluminum & resin cast parts. I patterned & cast the Allison trans, rear axles & diffs, air cleaner, cab, wheels, tires, front and rear springs, rubber intake elbows, and various small detail bits. The Cummins KTA is a resin kit i purchased from another company (not recommended) as i found it would have been faster & easier to make & cast my own. I used the muffler body's & 1 heat shield from an aluminum / PE kit, along with the "Mack" PE emblems made by KFS, and to door decals are from Model Truckin Decals. The only parts from a model truck kit are the steering wheel, seats, air horns, head lights, Mack mirror heads & the dash gauges.

I did take a few photos during construction & can post some of them if anyone would like to see.

Thank you all again,

Ap40

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Thanks Reg, you kill me, I only model static, to the point of gutting a R/C to make a static replica! LMAO

Haha. Gotta get a dig in! It's a beautiful model for sure. I would love to see more pictures. Are the diffs and so on cast aluminum? If so, how do you make the molds? Sand cast? How much does it weigh? ...so many questions...

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Reg, The castings i do are all in resin, for strength in parts like the drive axles they are molded with 3/16" aluminum round baron the center line. this rod extends out about 1" on either side of the axle housing to facilitate mounting of the wheels & tires. The rear spring packs are molded with 2.0mm brass rod at the trunion center line, again for strength & ease of mounting. I will see if i can get a weight on it for you, I suspect it is right around 10 pounds.

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Reg, The castings i do are all in resin, for strength in parts like the drive axles they are molded with 3/16" aluminum round baron the center line. this rod extends out about 1" on either side of the axle housing to facilitate mounting of the wheels & tires. The rear spring packs are molded with 2.0mm brass rod at the trunion center line, again for strength & ease of mounting. I will see if i can get a weight on it for you, I suspect it is right around 10 pounds.

That's very interesting. So how do you make the mold? Do you mock something up out of styrene first? I would like to learn more about all this for my own projects.

Post up those build pics!

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
WOW! It's like watching a truck being built in a shop! Excellent! The transmission looks great, as do all the other parts.

dmills1419

Occupation
Self Employeed Model Truck Maker
That's very interesting. So how do you make the mold? Do you mock something up out of styrene first? I would like to learn more about all this for my own projects.

Post up those build pics!

Resin casting is no big secret, most of the companies that make the resins and supplies provide how to videos for a small charge. Some distributers that sell the products even offer classes for beginners. You can mold off anything that is rigid, plastic, metal, glass, you name it. Just do a sesrch on-line for casting resin & supplies.
Don

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Seeing that little transmission brings back a few "full size" memorys for me.....nicely done.....Cory

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Seeing that little transmission brings back a few "full size" memorys for me.....nicely done.....Cory

I really need to thank members like HD-mech & Diamondtguy, who post all these great photos of building new ones or rebuilding & working on them in service shops.

I also need to thank HDX for his continued help & friendship thru the years, as well as Hayesno1 fantastic bone yard photos.

Ap40

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
No problem sir...I hope people enjoy seeing the pics I took at Pacific as much as I enjoy seeing all the pics and reading all the storys of all the equipment at work......Cory

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I was in Campbell river this May 5 and seen this Mack is alive and well, to me it looks well cared for.

I hope it is all right to post these, as I am new here.

Hank R

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I am thinking that the doors are Pacific IH doors, with the round corners to solve any stress related cracks that square Mack doors had, Not 100% sure but that is what I read some time ago.