• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

HDX

BTC If there ever was one it is long gone In the late 90s it drove the Master Mechanics/Shop Foreman nuts trying to keep up with what was going where and who still had what. Mechanics were forever taking stuff off or out of a piece of equipment because it was going to another division and they had just spent big bucks on it so take it off. Patch it up enough to get it out the gate then its their problem! This went back to the early 50s because the shops were responsible for equipment costs. Weyerheauser was the WORST thing that ever happened to M&B. They came up here to dis-assemble the forest industry as we knew it and there was people from within that helped it happen.Well its here and just look at whats happened. When you find a piece of equipment now there is a TON OF HISTORY behind it. You gotta find someone at each division that actually cared in order to fill your request. Remember MacMillan and Bloedel became one in 1951 so thats where you would start---All truck numbers were 3 digit numbers till early 1952 and then they became H-something for Hauling and the trailer numbers were V-something usually same number as the truck was. This letter was discontinued and then the trailer numbers became X-something Good Luck This just might generate some interest while there is still somebody around that will remember Here is a curve ball In 1957 an HD Hayes and 36 ton trailer were delivered to M&B at St Vincent Bay Unit # was H114 Yes it is a skill testing question and there WILL be a TEST

BTC

Weyerheauser was the worst thing to ever happen to M+B. I couldn't agree more with that. I was just over to visit my grandfather yesterday for coffee and we discussed just that very thing, as we have discussed it many times over the years. He was a Manager for M+B for over twenty years and remembers quite clearly even at 94 most of his career. He met the Old Man as he refers to him a couple of times and loved the "Company" My Father was also M+B for his career. Just about lost his job when Jim Jackson attempted to fire him because he didn't believe the new way was better then the old way. I was a faller in an M+B camp and grew up in an M+B camp as a kid. I loved the trucks and spent all summer days and after school riding my bike to the dispatch shack. Dad always had a spare portable at the house so I new everything that was going on before and after school. We laugh about it now but he used to get quite mad at me. Just imagine your one of the woods forman in a 400-600 man camp and you get home from a 12 hour day only to get a barrage of questions about why trucks got rerouted or why the lowbed broke down? Why didn't this happened or that from your kid. Hahaha This thread proves that although Weyerheauser may have torn us apart, they didn't break us. Proudly third generation M+B Man.

BTC

Trucks

Kelsey Bay as memory serves me
H-03-Dave Bickford
H-05-Fred Mastin
H-25(Came from somewhere else in 90)Garry Carson
H-35 Spare
H-36 -Rick Dorman (Originally) Steve Katovic
H-38-Don Howitt
H-39-Ted France
H48 (My personal favorite Steve Katovic) Truck was just resold two weeks ago in CR
Above the driver door is August 17 1984 Date she arrived in Kelsey Bay
H-52-Rudy Katovic
H-53-Origianly Cubby Bear Then $cott Davidson
H-58 Don Brier
H-61 Larry Wangler
H-79 Slim Jim Menke
H-80 Rick Dorman
H-81 Brian Weibe
H-275 Jake Marsh
H-322 Mike Miguiness

Eve River

H-01-Rob Fredrickson
H-02-Gord Gustafson
H-11-Swede (Bob Mellon
H-22-Glenn Friesen
H-37-Bob Perry
H-56-Harold Berg
H-57-Ted Klettke
H-87-Tom Matiason
H-293-Don Mclean
H-295 Glenn Friesen then ????
H-297 Spare ????
I wouldn't know the earlier trucks, but these were trucks there when i was a kid

HDX

BTC "there was people from within that helped it happen" You got it right on the tack Look at NWB when they were booted out of there and the shop torn down so there was no way the crew would be able to come back there again then somebody found out that there was more to it with the Regional Board and somebody had to build a new shop back there DUHHHHH

BTC

HDX
They still can't seem to want to leave NWB alone. Good crew down there, good supervisors but like many times before and surely many times to come. It's upper management that causes many of the issues that are left for crew and supervisors to figure out. It was a flag ship camp for many years. Still is if you have a good look at it. My grandfather and father both managed there at some point. They both agree it was the best place they ever worked it their careers.

HDX

H25 came from Cameron Division Went there new as a Pre-Load then converted to a Conventional A manager named JJ transferred her to Kelsey Bay I think H38 and H58 came to Franklin in around 1999 Both were rebuilt after Hayes Forest took us over H38 became T1058 and H 58 I will try and remember her new number. A good friend of mine drove H295 for some time his name was Don McLean We also ended up with H11 from Eve Was a very nice truck One Owner I was told same as H61 when it went to NWB. Years ago when Terry Boulet was the Master Mechanic at Kelsey Bay and Rick Telford was his assistant we managed to get the last Chain Drive Kenworth out of there H173 and as fate would have it she ended up at the Duncan Forest Museum Remember her --She had the big old tank on the back that all the old oil was dumped into and then she would put it all somewhere LOL Kesey Bay Paving Crew--- During the Taylor River Forest Fire on the Tofino Highway in 1967 there was fire tankers from every M&B Division brought down to help fight the fire and Kelsey Bays contribution was to send down a couple of those old chain drive KWs with tankers on the back They ended up sitting in the new Cameron Division Yard for a long time Kind of like orphans Like nobody really wanted to take them back home again Like OH THEY DIDNT GET BURNED UP IN THE FIRE "OH POOH "

Last edited:

BTC

Don Mclean retired from Eve River when i was a chokerman there. I got the trucks mixed up on my list but he retired on H-297. Hauled his last load out of Kunnum Creek from the L-32 Rick Phye.

M_T_Noggin

Occupation
Retired
While not about M & B Iron, it is about M & B. I grew up in BCFP camps, Britain River, Vancouver Bay and Caycuse. When living in Van Bay, I was down on the dock fishing and a large yacht came in and tied up at the dock. Yachts were pretty rare in those days so as a young lad I must have been impressed. A gentleman came to me and asked if I would take a message to the office for him. The office and camp were about a mile from the dock. He gave me a new 50 cent piece for this errand. My father was the timekeeper, so he got the envelope. Then I found out that this was H.R. himself that sent me on my mission. Nowhere to spend my new found wealth in a logging camp in the late forties, so my mother kept it for me. I still have that 50 cent piece today.

trakloader

I consider the end of M&B to be when they hired that @#$% Stephens. Everything started going down the tubes, and what he did was set up M&B for the Wienerhoser takeover. I remember at that time, it seemed like junk was being barged in every month, at QCD. Meanwhile, some of our better equipment was being barged OUT. Some of the stuff that came here was overdue for the museum. (Y-12, Y-03, M-11, L-76) Even that awful Madill 084 showed up here. The Y-03, big 144 Madill, I don't think it was here for six months before they barged it out again. The picture shows Y-12, Y-34, 084, and Y-03. Y-30 went out on the previous barge.

Attachments

• GRAPPLE YARDERS1.jpg
    GRAPPLE YARDERS1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,670

BTC

Y-12 was an Eve River Yarder that went to Kelsey Bay and then I guess up to QCD. L-76 was an old Hydrolic loader and I mean old. I think it was an Hitachi? Maybe a Chapman? Can't remember for sure, also from Eve River. Y-03 came from another Division but it was also at Eve River before QCD.
M11? Not sure where that grader was from, doesn't ring a bell. Eve had two graders M-22 and ?????

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Wienerhoser. Perfect name for a company that used to be first class, and ended up in the toilet thanks to the stinking MBAs. Years ago, a lot of their management came up through the ranks, and pretty much all the rest started as degreed surveyors or foresters, who still spent a lot of time in the woods prior to advancing beyond that. Emil Knutz retired as a Vice President. He had an eighth grade education, and also strong work ethic and moral values, plus a lot of good old-fashioned horse sense. Look what they have now. They didn't just screw M&B. They are doing all they can to screw their own retirees, who thought they had a deal when they went to work years ago.

TorkelH

MMB number list

Wienerhoser - LOL!

By the way, with all the knowledge in this forum would it not be time to make up a list of MMB machines? Jeremy70 has made an excelent spreadsheet with Weyerhaeuser machines and numbers.

Last edited:

HDX

Trakloader I always said that every man --woman and child in this province should be running around with 20 dollar bills sticking out of their pockets with all the natural resource's we HAD here and allowed foreign companies in to squander away to shareholders half a world away!!!! Fletcher Challange did the same to BCFP and Crown Z and Elk River Timber as well as every other outfit they could buy up Now look at Timberwaste Man somebody should be charged with atrocities against the earth for what has happened to OUR Forest Industry

trakloader

I hear you, HDX, same up here with Island Timberlands, and Timberwaste in Sandspit. BTC, the M-11 grader was the spare at Copper Canyon, but it was somewhere else before that. I guess I'll contribute all the M&B equipment that I can remember now.

Kenworth 849RF'S

H-203
H-204

Hayes HDX

H-162 Only one with Cummins power
H-221
H-222
H-223
H-224
H-225
H-226
H-258
H-259
H-289
H-290
H-147
H-148
H-149
H-150
H-151
H-152
H-42
H-43
H-44
H-45
H-34
H-271 ex Copper Canyon

Pacific P-16

H-54
H-135
H-136
H-137
H-55 ex-Chemainus
H-46 " "
H-47 " "

Yarders

J-55 Madill, later scrapped, spar used on J-23
J-56 Madill, scrapped, rebuilt as J-91
J-57 Scrapped 1984 or so.
J-92 Sparmatic
J-93 Sparmatic
J-166 Tyee K-166 Tank mount, 120' telescoping tower
J-167 " " " " " " "
J-?? Two 009's on rubber, they didn't work out and were transferred
J-??
J-26 009 tank mount
J-91 HDX Mount using old H-221 later converted to linehorse
J-23 HDX mount with Tyee K-166A yarder, used old H-222
J-129 P-16 mount with Madill yarder, from Northwest Bay??

Grapple Yarders

Y-07 American first QCD grapple yarder, 1968?
Y-08 " "
Y-09 044
Y-30 044
Y-17 044
Y-34 144
Y-100 124 "custom built" for QCD, had four guylines
Y-12 044
Y-03 144

Loaders

L-294 American
L-295 " "
L-318 " "
L-68 " " Went over bank in 1972, operator killed. Machine rebuilt and transferred.
L-69 " "
L-45 " "
L-335 " "
L-122 5675 on rubber
L-218 American
L-123 7675 on rubber, with "Luckhurst" long boom.
L-110 American
L-11 American with steel long boom and snorkel
L-18 5675 ex Thompson Logging
L-17 Cypress 7230C with steel long boom and snorkel
L-115 Cypress 7230R
L-76 UH-181 log loader by Chapman
L-226 Cypress EX-480LL
L-153 " " "
L-400 EX-400LL

Graders All Cat 14G's

M-10
M-18
M-57
M-110
M-102
M-107
M-11 from Copper Canyon

Drills

N-01 (first tank drill ever built)
N-05 M-4
N-62? Air Track
N-65 " "
N-18 M-4
N-66 M32F
N-32 Roc-Champ
N-104 M40F

Cats

E-16 Cat D8H Gas Start
E-42 Cat D8H
E-43 Cat D8K
E-55 Cat D7G
E-?? Terex
E-?? Big Terex
E-03 Komatsu
E-07 Komatsu
E-64 Hi-drive D-7
E-110 Hi-drive D-7

Grade Shovels/Backhoes

S-66 American 750
S-67 " " "
S-68 Northwest Model 6
S-10 American 750
S-12 " " "
S-65 " " " Last Line shovel, retired 83-84.
S-20 Poclain
S-31 Cat 235
S-32 UH-172
S-55 UH-181
S-58 " "
S-100 EX-400
S-111 EX-200
S-112 EX-400
S-08 EX-300
Backspars

S-15 UH-171
S-13 " "

Front End Loaders

M-07 Cat 966
M-122 " "

That's all I can think of right now...

Last edited:

BTC

Would really like to know where this equipment originated from? Good memory though, my wife is having a hard time believing that as she says it "More like you"

BTC

HDX
The H-173 was used around camp for dust control, I only remember that it was parked around the back of the shop. Had to ask about it over the weekend.

trakloader

The majority of that iron was bought new for QCD. All of the trucks were, except for 271, 55, 46, and 47. 271 came from CCD, the other three originally went to Chemainus, I believe. L-110 came here from another division, but no idea which. There was one loader I missed, L-18, which M&B bought from Thompson.

BTC

Late 80's Early 90's
Pacifics
H-01 Eve River
H-02 Eve River
H-11 Eve River
H-22 Eve River
H-25 Kelsey Bay
H-38 Kelsey Bay
H-39 Kelsey Bay
H-56 Eve River
H-57 Eve River
H-58 Kelsey Bay
H-61 Kelsey Bay
H-87 Eve River
H-275 Kelsey Bay

Kenworths
H-03 Kelsey Bay
H-05 Kelsey Bay
H-35 Kelsey Bay
H-36 Kelsey Bay
H-48 Kelsey Bay
H-52 Kelsey Bay
H-53 Kelsey Bay
H-79 Kelsey Bay
H-80 Kelsey Bay
H-81 Kelsey Bay
H-322 Kelsey Bay

Hayes
H-37 Eve River
H-293 Eve River
H-295 Eve River
H-297 Eve River

Log Loaders
L-10 Rubber Tired long boom ( Beautiful machine)Kelsey Bay Madill
L-32 Rubber Tired Eve River
L-33-Rubber tired. Operator got a hydraulic loader and wanted same number L-33 Hitachi Eve River
L-34 Eve River American
L-76 Eve River
L-71 Eve River Super snorkel Sunk into Johnstone straights off of capsized TLT barge.
L-181 Kelsey Bay super snorkel Madill
L-131 Kelsey Bay (Thunder chicken)
L-144 Kelsey Bay (TBird)
L-163 Kelsey Bay (TBird)
L-166 Kelsey Bay Tbird
L-53 Kelsey Bay Rubber tired
L-40 Kelsey Bay Rubber Tired
L-101 Rubber tired Kelsey
L-103- Rubber tired Kelsey Bay. Still in use at Dyer Logging when they can find operator for it
L-326 Long pole Menzies Bay (Had long pole from what seemed like engine room and short steel stub straight out at top of boom. Funny looking thing but Bob Perkins got wood with it.
L-332 Rubber Tired Menzies Bay
L-333 Hydraulic Menzies
L-334 Rubber tried hydraulic chapman. They used it for running between two towers.
L-251 Supersnorkel Menzies Bay Madill
L-336 Menzies Hitachi
L-335 Menzies

Cats
E-115 Still being used at Mid Island WFP Kelsey Bay originally
E-57 Eve River

Graders
M-22 Eve River
M-101 Eve River
M-47 Kelsey Bay
M-49 Kelsey Bay

Yarders
Y-247-Menzies American
Y-248 Menzies Amercian Still active at Mid Island
Y-12 Eve River 044
Y-57 Eve River 044
Y-03 Ever River 144
Y-100 Kelsey Bay 124 Still active at Mid Island
Y-14 Kelsey Bay
Y-19 Kelsey Bay
Y-31 Kelsey Bay
Y-51 Kelsey Bay
Y-52 Kelsey Bay
Y-53 Kelsey bay

J-73 Eve River(Not the same machine as in Sprout Lake pictures)
J-99 Eve River (slackline machine)
J-11 Eve River (Slackline Machine)
J-103 Eve River Skagit
J-20 Kelsey Bay Skagit
J-22 Kelsey Bay skagit
J-23 Kelsey Bay skagit
J-158 Kelsey Bay
J-58- Kelsey Bay
J-119 Kelsey Bay
J-78 Kelsey Bay (Built in Kelsey shop as a grapple tower)
J-273 Menzies Bay
J-274 Menzies Bay

trakloader

Awesome, so Y-100 went to KBD. IF that is the one we had, Dad thought it was the Y-124. ???? It wasn't here long, and got exchanged for the "WEYCO-1" soon after its arrival. I remember the first one had four guylines, and everyone was complaining about that. The WEYCO-1 had two guylines. "WEYCO-1"..... Sounds like something Rogel & Co. would be flying on.