• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
This came to Sproat Lake Division in 1976 - along with 324, 325 & 326 - all pre-loads and the only P16's we had on the claim at the time. They were the queens of the fleet and only driven by the most senior guys. I've seen pictures of this truck in other postings and I think it was sold on, repainted and re-numbered.

Great pics. Keep them coming. Here are some pictures of H323 I took in summer 2005 in Port McNeill. Present owner is LLL T320. I saw it in 2007. It was still wearing MB red and white colours:)

Attachments

• H323 s1.jpg
    H323 s1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,697
  • H323 2.jpg
    H323 2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,637
  • H323 3.jpg
    H323 3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,620
  • H323 4.jpg
    H323 4.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,612
  • H323 5.jpg
    H323 5.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,614

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
L-124

This was an American machine on tracks that we got new in the late '70s for cherry picking on right of ways. Once in a while they would throw it in a landing to load out. The boom was too long to be handy inside the guy lines.

Attachments

• scan0011.jpg
    scan0011.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,561

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
J-161 in the late '70s towered down somewhere at Sproat Lake Div. Anyone remember how we used to scratch our initials and leave messages/dates on the front of the yarder by the driving cab?

Attachments

• scan0017.jpg
    scan0017.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,578

HDX

Ran across the old J85 in the scrap yard in Squamish some years back and went right to the cab sure enough there was names of guys I hadnt thought about for years. J85 was one of the early Madills mounted on the old M26 Tank Retriever undercarraiges. Great big Hall Scott gas engine still in her. I remember the barrels of gas around them if they were going to move or even turn around in the landing .

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Living in Burnaby as I do, I sometimes head up toward Squamish on my motorbike and poke around the back roads/equipment yards. A couple of years ago I stumbled upon an old tracked yarder (it was yellow) parked down toward the BC Rail yards. It was in the process of being torn apart and so I scrounged the Madill builder plate off of it and it now adorns my basement wall. It reminded me of my first yarder - the J -139 at Sproat Lake, which was also a track machine back in '76. I had the pleasure of riding up in the front end of this thing with the operator when the brilliant idea was made to move it several miles on the mainline on its own tracks. For some reason the low bed wasn't called in. Well, we had this thing just a humming along, with the old pipe swaying in its saddle. We almost made it but managed to blow the transmission and so it spent its last year being dragged around by a cat from setting to setting. I also worked on another tracked Madill that was the J - 121. I don't remember what happened to these two machines in the end. Does anyone have a list of M & B equipment and their fate?

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
[QUOTE J85 was one of the early Madills mounted on the old M26 Tank Retriever undercarraiges. Great big Hall Scott gas engine still in her. I remember the barrels of gas around them if they were going to move or even turn around in the landing .[/QUOTE]

I've only seen one of these things and it was back in the '70s. We were logging down by Nahmint in the winter show, when we spotted this monstrous cloud of black smoke coming up the bottom road toward our area. The smoke really fired up our curiousity. As it got nearer, you could finally hear it and what a roar it made. What finally came around the corner was one of these old Tank Retriever units owned by a gypo - I think it was Clevens Logging if I remember. I swear my jaw dropped when I finally figured out what the hell it was. A more beaten to death piece of equipment I have never seen. They set up down the road from us on one of the more marginal settings and put her to work. I never saw one in the M & B fleet.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
J104 is down at the Ramsey yard in Chehalis WA or was at least last year.

Is this an old track or rubber machine? I don't recognize the number. Did many machines manage to cross the border over the years after they had been used here or there? I would really like to get my hands on some of these build lists and figure who ran/got what over the years.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Is this an old track or rubber machine? I don't recognize the number. Did many machines manage to cross the border over the years after they had been used here or there? I would really like to get my hands on some of these build lists and figure who ran/got what over the years.

Can't seem to find a picture of the MMB logo on that yarder, just the logo itself. I think it might have been a self propelled rubber machine, but I could be off? Guess it's time to head up there and visit again. http://www.ramseycoinc.com/
I believe most of their machines from BC were brought down by them.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
So Ramsey was a dealer for Madill and then they got into importing used machines? I tried your link - I didn't realize that Madills had an afterlife as dredging machines. Interesting....

HDX

J104--J105 were rubber tired Madill yarders both came to Franklin in the 70s. I seem to recall one of them had one section of the pipe changed. It had left Franklin Camp and was going out to the NitNat and a little too much speed on the 7mile strech of pavement between the Little NitNat bridge and Nadira when the pipe buckled. Looked funny but was a big job to fix.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Similar injury happened to the L124 long boom that is pictured above. I'm not sure anymore what happened but they buckled the boom during a move. Either they had it too high and it was against the upper stops or they went over a "_____ head" at speed and the boom developed a crinkle. I remember some repair/splice was manufactured and away she went again.

trakloader

Similar injury happened to the L124 long boom that is pictured above. I'm not sure anymore what happened but they buckled the boom during a move. Either they had it too high and it was against the upper stops or they went over a "_____ head" at speed and the boom developed a crinkle. I remember some repair/splice was manufactured and away she went again.

Lots of them things had trouble on hills, the boom would start raising itself on downgrades. :eek: Something to do with the sprag clutch in the boom hoist. I think the gantry on the old Y-07 got bent that way.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Here are some pics of an old MB Pacific P16 truck now running for LLL. The 4th. pic showing LLL #T327 a Pacific P16 preloader might be old MB QCI #H136. Trakloader might recognize the truck. I only got this pic of her.

Attachments

• Pacific P16  Ow. LLL #T334s.jpg
    Pacific P16 Ow. LLL #T334s.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,373
  • Pacific P16  Ow. LLL #T334s1.jpg
    Pacific P16 Ow. LLL #T334s1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,369
  • Pacific P16  Ow. LLL #T334s2.jpg
    Pacific P16 Ow. LLL #T334s2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,383
  • Pacific P16  Ow. LLL #T327s.jpg
    Pacific P16 Ow. LLL #T327s.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,396

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Here are another LLL truck - unit #T341 a Pacific P16 preloader. This might be old MB QCI #H135. I have seen a picture of her with in green paint but white radiator guard had #H135 painted instead of #T341. Lowbed trailer is an old MB trailer

Attachments

• Pacific P16  Ow. LLL #T341s1 H135.jpg
    Pacific P16 Ow. LLL #T341s1 H135.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 2,191
  • Pacific P16  Ow. LLL #T341s H135.jpg
    Pacific P16 Ow. LLL #T341s H135.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2,125

trakloader

Here are some pics of an old MB Pacific P16 truck now running for LLL. The 4th. pic showing LLL #T327 a Pacific P16 preloader might be old MB QCI #H136. Trakloader might recognize the truck. I only got this pic of her.

I don't think it's a QCD truck, all our Pacifics except for H-54 had Cummins power. Hey, tried to e-mail you back last week, but my internet was having "issues" or something! :confused:

HDX

Yes they do and yes if you got deep enough pockets you can buy them ! BUT the down side is that they are 11ft wide at the tires with 91,000 Clark rear ends and with the BD121 they are 12 ft wide so there is a real overwidth problem. Even with my WHD Hayes there is problems moving her because the DOT wants her lowbedded from show to show.

STEVEGODSEYJR

Man oh man would I LOVE to have one of these trucks!! One can imagine the history of that vehicle. I doubt that I have a fat enough checkbook to afford one but a guy can always dream