• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mag Drill

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Good and cheap? I don’t think those are synonymous. There are quite a few out there in the $800-1200 range. That old Milwaukee is a brute, there’s a reason they are still around

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
The Evo line is okay, I really like the variable speed base on those old milwaukees though

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Check out the original Jancy Slugger. Which is now part of the Fein group. Nice lightweight compact unit designed for annular cutters.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Check out the original Jancy Slugger. Which is now part of the Fein group. Nice lightweight compact unit designed for annular cutters.
One thing I would like to find is a drill you could magnetize and then make a small axis adjustment to the drill, or head. Its Time consuming trying to get some of these heavy buggers perfectly inverted or horizontal.

Tyler d4c

Out of all the ones I've used this is my favorite one but us really only good for angular cutters

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210205-101050_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210205-101050_Chrome.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 58

excavator

One thing I would like to find is a drill you could magnetize and then make a small axis adjustment to the drill, or head. Its Time consuming trying to get some of these heavy buggers perfectly inverted or horizontal.
Most of the name brands sell an adjustable head version, even the large Milwaukee offers that option.

lantraxco

Cheap and built cheap, some bits like to loosen up like the handles but I'm on my second Blue Rock mag drill, first one magically disappeared around the time a part time shop helper did, but I can't swear it was him took it. Anyway, the current version has lasted so far about eight years and has cut literally thousands of holes up to 1-1/2" in mostly high strength low alloy plate like Weldox and rectangular tubing without issue or complaint. Still going strong. YMMV but to me it makes sense to spend less more often unless you're absolutely running it most days most of the day, especially given the usual possibilities of it getting broken or stolen.

https://www.bluerocktools.com/magnetic-drills/

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I have had a 3/4" chuck Milwaukee mag drill since the 1990s. About 10 years ago I put a new chuck in it as the original one was starting to slip. I also have a Yancy slugger attachment for it. It's a heavy old girl but it will drill 2' holes with the slugger attachment like there is no tomorrow. It cost $1,200 when new, was still available, and still listed at $1200 when I bought the new chuck. One advantage of the newer ones are that they do weigh about 1/3 of my old beast.

crane operator

Some of the milwaukee mag drills have a adjustable base. You set the magnet, then the handle on the back, you can loosen it and move the drill around a little and then retighten the handle. I worked with a guy who had one.

17557_4208-1.png

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Steelmax D1

I employ the dead blow mallet trick too for bumping the small one around too for easy line up.

We have the big Milwaukee too, I love that thing too cause of the swing base and the variable speed, great for running stuff besides annular cutters. It's a heavy bugger though, usually ends up with a sling through the handle hanging off a crane lol

excavator

Interesting mag drill story. Years ago, in the ship yards at Anacortes, Washington they had several guys running mag drills above the water. No one ever took the time to hook up the safety chains until one day someone tripped over the main cord and every one of those drills ended up in the water. Spendy mistake. :(

lantraxco

Interesting mag drill story. Years ago, in the ship yards at Anacortes, Washington they had several guys running mag drills above the water. No one ever took the time to hook up the safety chains until one day someone tripped over the main cord and every one of those drills ended up in the water. Spendy mistake. :(

LOL, been there, dodged the broken toes!

Old Doug

I got one order. I called and they said a sells person would call me back sure enough they did unlike the places were i order parts.

Old Doug

Just like the sales guy said 5 days and i would have it. I thought i would see the UPS guy at my job and tell him he could drop it there but he braved the snow and left it at the farm.It was a very long week waiting for it and trying to get alot of stuff done. I have one bit i bought to make some holes in a KW frame but i left it at work now i am dying to try it out.