• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Manuals not clear on fill port/ measuring/ drain plug

S.A.E.

Thanks in advance!

The 580b manuals I. have are not clear in answering my questions (see below).

I do know that Tractor Supply PREMIUM trans meets a whole range of manufacturer's specs, INCLUDING Case's (3 or 4 specific ones). That's my go-to at $34/ 5 gal on sale. The diff requires 90 in the ambient temps being used. Now the question on the gear oil.. GL-4 is specified, but GL-5 is what is readily avail... Early GL-5 had a package that was hard on older metal components, but supposedly resolved years ago... Anyway, looking for bang/buck value on GL-4.

The Flywheel and starter are in their own separate area between the shuttle and the engine. This area has a plug on right side and drain directly below flywheel. How is this area filled and measured as full?

There is a cap above the flywheel (that cap looks like it may have one time held a dipstick? it is drilled on the bottom/inside like it held the dipstick?), but not sure how fill up as now has no "upper fill port plug" nor dipstick?

Starter nose is inserted at a level several inches below the supposed fill pug (4"?) and is paper gasketed. I would assume that the fluid fill level is well below the starter's nose. I had to drain the flywheel area to check for contaminates from failed bendix. The plug beneath the flywheel revealed the expected housing's long accumulation grit and smudge sludge/. So I reached in with a wand sprayer from the "fill plug" and flushed the flywheel and case bottom with fuel oil.

Now time to fill. Who can tell me how to measure "full"?

The short dipstick/ fill port ahead of the 4 speed shifter appears to be trans fluid as would be expected (that is a good thing) and the plug on the bottom of that casting area looks to be the correct one for the shuttle, filling that will be easy and measurable.

Still, how to measure and fill the flywheel area?

Here is the plug above the flywheel, looks like it may have at one time held a dipstick, much like that of the shuttle plug that's ahead of the 4 speed shifter.
View attachment 243341

Starter hole/flywheel area and drain below flywheel. How do I re-fill this area (wet flywheel and starter nose)

View attachment 243342

Here looks to be the shuttle breather on top of the clutch valving?
Vent for shuttle .jpg

Do I have this correct?: Diff drain plug. Fill from plug under seat. Dipstick in plug. 90wt GL-4
View attachment 243339