• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mashuda Corp. sold

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I assume you mean "Mashuda", rather than mashuto. (Just cause the interweb is pretty picky about spelling. Google "Mashuda", and it'll turn up their website. "Mashuto" doesn't get you anything relevant.) If that's correct, I can edit the thread title.

And no, I hadn't heard anything about it. Neither Mashuda's nor Mountain Top's websites mention anything either. (Not that I've been paying attention.)

Interestingly, Mashuda's website has a "Message from the President" saying he's looking forward to reaching 100 years in business, 15 years from now. :beatsme

http://www.mashudacorp.com/about_message.asp

buckfever

ya sorry Mashuda. Just hear from a friend that works there that they were bought out last week. He's kinda worrried about them laying him off.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Well, I guess that'll shoot that goal of 100 years in business right out of the water...

Message From The President

My name is Ralph Mashuda, President of Mashuda Corporation. I want to share with you my personal long-term goal: reaching 100 years. Of course I would like to live to be 100 years old, but what I'm talking about here is Mashuda Corporation reaching 100 years of business.

Mashuda Corporation has come a long way since its humble start in 1922 by my great uncle, Frank. Today, 85 years later, Mashuda Corporation has evolved into one of the region's largest general contractors specializing in heavy earthmoving operations for highway, site development, and mining projects. Every job we undertake reflects the Mashuda legacy, which is based on skill, integrity, and responsibility - words of action that capture the essence of our business philosophy. For that reason, they are prominently displayed with pride on our red and white logo.

Consistent delivery of reliable service and execution of quality work by our dedicated staff have been integral in helping Mashuda Corporation earn respect and a solid reputation within the industry. I see it everyday in the satisfaction of our valued clients, both long term and new. That is why Mashuda Corporation plans to keep on "moving" -- all the way to 100, and beyond.

(Of course, if it was founded in 1922, the message must be around 4-5 years old, cause 22 + 85 would make it 2007...)

390eric

Be interesting if they were bought out. I know one of the younger family members of the Mashudas, he has his own smaller company, was offered the company years ago and didnt want it, too big. I drive by the office in Cranberry weekly, I know the guy in charge is more worried about His Indian motorcycle dealership than the dirtwork. Kinda interesting we were just talking about Mashuda at lunch today. Lots of iron sitting there and I know its not even half of what they have.

buckfever

as of 12:30 today it official. Mashuda is sold to mountain top excavation. They have already sold their 5130 and the others up for sale. The 777 rock trucks are going to auction and tomarrow the contract to start cutting up some of the really out stuff will be awarded. On the list are the 631's and the D8 and 9 h's and g's. Kind of sad to see equipment that was running a week ago getting scraped.

390eric

Man I dont believe that. How can a company thats only been in business 6 years buy Mashuda. And all that komatsu crap, shame all that old iron. Well if anyone needs vintage cat parts there will be a flood of them on the market considering Mashuda has more parts in stock than the cat dealer five miles down the road.

gd10r

I actually hired mashuda to complete a project for me. They have work in WVA through July 2012, both 5130's and one of the 992Cs were down there with all the 777D's. Can't believe that they can finish with just their 773's. I'm Sorry to see them go the guys were running the show after Ralph passed away a few years ago. Seems like the trust may have seen dollar signs instead of the value of the working company and the long history of sucessfull projects completed over the years.
Graham

buckfever

The word around the water cooler is that MTE was going bankrupt and the owner hashed out a deal with Swank. I think it would have to be Swanks money buying mashuda being that MTE has only 25 pieces of equipment:beatsme
Also the new owner dosn't care about heavy highway or big development work. Just wellsite. loves wellsites.

390eric

Wow if MTE only has 25 pieces of equipment, their website sure makes it seem like a lot more. The company I work for has more than that. The website shows a real nice fuel and lube truck, all brand new pick ups, all new equipment, and a huge 25,000 sq ft garage. They could store everything they own in there. Sounds like the owner likes nice stuff. No wonder he is scrapping all the old stuff.

buckfever

from what i hear he loves pickup's and chrome rims. If you look at the equipment not many have MTE stickers. Sounds like lots of rental equipment.

390eric

I saw a MTE truck leaving Mashudas jobsite on rt 19 just north of cranberry today. Still a lot of iron at the yard, even more than normal. Really nice looking 245 cat hoe,
looks new just faded paint.

get it right

Get it right. Mashuda Corporation has been sold. The company was started in 1922 by Frank Mashuda. It continued after his death under the leadership of Vic and Ernie. Upon Ernie's death it was under Vic's sold guidence until his son Richard became co-owner. Following Richard's death, Vic regained sole ownership. After suffering a stroke, Vic's other son Ralph took over management and eventual ownership.

Richard's goal had been the 100 yrs. in business, stated in 1997 (another 25 yrs), prior to his death. Ralph again stated the 100 yr. goal in 2007 (15 yrs.). Following Vic's death Ralph still had the 100 yr. goal (12 yrs.) With Ralph's death only 2 months following his father's that has changed. His heirs have neither the knowledge or desire to continue the company and have decided the only logical thing was to sell.

It is sad this has come about but let it die with dignity instead of all the BS!!!

390eric

I personally dont think there is much bs in this just a couple of guys talking about the company, kinda sad to see such a giant go in my opinion. Yeah we understand about the business plan they had to make it to 100 yrs, shame they didnt.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Thanks for the brief history lesson. That clarifies things, especially with respect to the 100 year message from Ralph I quoted above. Personally, I was familair with the name, and have driven past the headquarters, but beyond that, didn't have any firsthand knowlege about the company, which led me to see what the intenet had to offer. It's a shame Ralph didn't survive long enough to see that dream come to fruition.

I have to agree with Eric though, that this isn't BS, as much as perhaps a handful of guys BSing on the particular topic, and as far as letting it die with dignity, I don't think anybody that posted here characterized this sale as a happy outcome.

Certainly, change can be difficult and stresssful, and I'll be the first to offer my condolences to everybody over what's been lost, and wish the best of luck moving forward.

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
Thats to bad, My dad work for them for many years.Local 66 member .Can remember my dad working on Rt 28 when I was a kid. He thought this company was very good company to work for

kokosing

Occupation
assistant manager/operator for a lumber reload yar
I actually hired mashuda to complete a project for me. They have work in WVA through July 2012, both 5130's and one of the 992Cs were down there with all the 777D's. Can't believe that they can finish with just their 773's. I'm Sorry to see them go the guys were running the show after Ralph passed away a few years ago. Seems like the trust may have seen dollar signs instead of the value of the working company and the long history of sucessfull projects completed over the years.
Graham

Hey Graham,

whereabouts in WV? also where is Kokosing working in WV? (I am the same guy on DHS forums)

gd10r

We were in Scheer WV, find that on a map. Kokosing was working through their wholly owned subsidiary Ahearn, they were transfering over to Kokosing as a company, but the job was bid by Ahearn and they were operating under that name on this job. We were building corridor H before Mountain Top.