• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Massey 50H Backhoe ?

Massey87

Hello:
New here, and just trying to find some information.
I have recently bought a 1987 Massey Ferguson Elite 50H backhoe. I have a parts and service manual for it, but I am finding that information and parts are not readily available for these machines.
My serial number is 2588.
My parts manual seems to be for a later build of 50H, Various items in it do not match mine, example lights, etc.
First off, I am trying to find out what the different models/series are, Elite, base, series "S", and there was another series that I don't find right now.
I also have an online parts manual for the 50H that is different from my printed manual, but still does not match my machine.
I am using the parts manual to try to find parts for the machine. Currently, I am trying to find parts for a filter housing. On my machine, there is a filter on the pressure side of the main hydraulic pump behind the grill. My service manual talks about checking and replacing it, but I have not been able to find it listed in any of the parts manuals that I have.
If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Welder Dave

Could you have a 50HX series T Elite? The main feature of the 50HX Elite was optional 4 wheel drive axle with tight turning circle. The MF50H series all came from the UK. There were several MF50 models.
MF50H and HX The HX had the additional features of high back seat, digger hook and 3 spool hydraulic loader service.
MF50H (series S)
MF50HX (series S)
MF50MH and HX. (series T)The 50HX series T were 2 wheel drive with 4 speed power shuttle
MF50HX Elite. The main feature is 4 wheel drive with tight turning circle mentioned above. This is the only MF50 H series listed as Elite.

Massey87

Nope, 2 wheel drive. See if I can attach a couple of pictures.
It has electric shuttle, 4 speed synchromesh, low back Viking seat, and dipper stick. It was built in the UK.

Attachments

• 20240108_135246.jpg
    20240108_135246.jpg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240110_112155.jpg
    20240110_112155.jpg
    805.7 KB · Views: 14

Joe H

I have a 50H, 425 hoe, serial number says it's a 1993. I see your hydraulic tank on the left, mine is in front of the radiator.
1710821156624.jpeg

Joe H

Welder Dave

The Elite models generally have nicer features in the cab from what I was reading in the Worldwide guide to MF industrial and construction equipment. It doesn't tell what years different models were made or have serial number lists. All 50H series were built in the UK. I'll do some looking at the different specs. to see if I could narrow your machine down a bit. MF backhoes were very popular in the UK, especially the MF50B series.

There weren't enough pics. to tell for sure what series your machine is. I think a straight MF50H though. Might try looking for brochures on the internet.

Last edited:

Massey87

Joe H, that digger on the back of yours definitely looks more modern. Mine is 6 years old though.
Dave, the operator's manual that came with it, is for the 50H and 50HX, 4-wheel drive. Looking through it, the interior of the cab has (2) versions, one is "earlier cab" and the other "later cab". I see no designation in regard to series or model. The same applies to the seat, "earlier" and "later". The lights in the manual appear to be later than mine.
My service manual is for 50H and 50HX Series S, but there is no deignation throughout the manual where the "S" series is specified. The 50H has the 236 engine, and the 50HX has the 248.
The last section of the manual is for "S" series Diggers, both side shift and center pivot.
Other than that, I don't see any differences.

Welder Dave

I did see the HX usually has a bigger engine. Your cab looks more like the more modern one from what I could tell. I wonder if a long time MF Ag dealer might have some info. to help you figure out what you have?

Massey87

I have a Massey dealer that is about an hour away. i called when I first got the backhoe, talked to parts guy" Nah, they haven't made those since the 70's, we don't mess with them". Obviously not going to call that number again.
I was hoping that I might get someone on here from the UK or Australia where there are a lot more of them, to get some info.