• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

massey ferguson 50 backhoe ????

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
Just got a massey ferguson 50 backhoe with out the hoe but did come with some kind cable looking compactor. it has no 3 point or pto. The tractor is yellow and has hook ups off the frame in the back, but no hooks above like the ground pounder. Any help on any info on 1976 50 A Model 300? I am looking for a hoe if any body knows where ones at. Has what looks like a pto engage under the seat but no shaft? lever on the side by your left knee if u are sitting on the tractor that has a big spring hooked to it (park brake or some kind of steer wheel tilt) Plumbed out the back

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Any pictures?? |Some of those were sold with a weight or compressor but if there is no pto then that rules out the latter.Maybe take a few piccs and post them for us.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Here's a pic I have. I believe it's a later model as it doesn't have that big swing motor. Phil

Attachments

• backhoe.JPG
    backhoe.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 10,652

stock

Occupation
That one is of 80's vintage and is either a "d" or"h" series launched in 1982 I think , could be wrong though.Most of that cab type was a home for the dreaded tin worm .

575Rancher

I've got a 73 model 50A I'd sell for parts if you'd be interested. Got a good perkins diesel that has a pretty fresh overhaul on it.

AussieChris

I always thought the 'B' modal had the big swing motor.

I have a 50HX series 2 which is from around 1995. It's a side shift hoe with swing cylinders. Not long after that they went to the 760 (I think) and became Fermec and then Terex.

Even in 1995 the hoe appears to attach to the mainframe with just 4 pins so I imagine one should be easy enough to fit if you can fine one.

Keen to see your pics Iron Kid. Don't see many MFs on this site.

Chris
Brisbane Australia.

stock

Occupation
Mf 50hx elite.JPG

She is A 50HX elite circa 1985/6 cab changed in '87 , never seen a non-side shift HX before.Now she could have been resprayed but it also has slew rams so I go with the hx theory.

volvobl

She is A 50HX elite circa 1985/6 cab changed in '87 , never seen a non-side shift HX before.Now she could have been resprayed but it also has slew rams so I go with the hx theory.[/QUOTE]

well done stock i did think it was older myself :notworthy:drinkup

AussieChris

On my 50HX the lever on your left is the (rear) diff lock. You pull it towards the seat to engage. Mine doesn't work (I think somebody welded it up so it's always in the unlocked condition).

Chris.

stock

Occupation
On my 50HX the lever on your left is the (rear) diff lock. You pull it towards the seat to engage. Mine doesn't work (I think somebody welded it up so it's always in the unlocked condition).

Chris.

Sized cable or linkage is all

volvobl

stock seems to me you been around a lot on the old masseys i used to do a lot on an 88 50hx it also had the 5 speed on it. But i think the 60hx was a very good machine there wasnt a lot of them about here at the time cos 93 the first 860 was out and id been on a 91 60hx. It was early nineties when i was on her do you no when the 60hx came out?

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
ktmlane
Welcome to the forum, we almost lost you:). I've heard that swing motor parts can be very expensive. I was able recently to get the MF dealer to bring up the parts diagram and part#'s, for a small MF hoe attachment I have.

I saw a MF hoe once that had the swing converted, using 2 hydraulic cylinders. I think used parts are out there, just not common. Good luck. Phil

Last edited:

ktmlane

mf backhoe

thanks alot phil i have a new holland working on it but it seems like the only likley place is the uk i hope the freight wont scare me . thanks alot for getting me that info.:usa

Aussie Al

I got a MF 50B with the large slew motor on top. It slews to whichever side the machine is leaning once you release the control lever and lacks power when slewing. It is very anoying when you are trying to dig as you have to constantly be controling the slew. Any suggestions on what the problem is?