• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

master link in a 753 drive chain ?

sundown57

I picked up a 2002 bobcat 743 G a few weeks ago. All 8 wheel bearings were bad so i tore into it and got them all replaced. Got all back together today, drive it 5 minutes and it emptied out the hydraulic tank into the chain case. so now i know i really messed up and should have changed the bearings and seals in the motor carrier at the same time . I read where a lot of people say to get the carrier out either pull all 4 axles back off or cut the chain. I really want go with the latter . so now my question is . has any one cut their chains and run master links or is that a really bad idea ? if its ok to do it does any one know off hand the pitch of the chains ? thanks

crewchief888

I picked up a 2002 bobcat 743 G a few weeks ago. All 8 wheel bearings were bad so i tore into it and got them all replaced. Got all back together today, drive it 5 minutes and it emptied out the hydraulic tank into the chain case. so now i know i really messed up and should have changed the bearings and seals in the motor carrier at the same time . I read where a lot of people say to get the carrier out either pull all 4 axles back off or cut the chain. I really want go with the latter . so now my question is . has any one cut their chains and run master links or is that a really bad idea ? if its ok to do it does any one know off hand the pitch of the chains ? thanks

unless the bearings are bad in the carriers, theres no reason to pull them. the seals are accessed from the motor side.
even if you need to pull the carriers, you dont need to pull all 4 axles or cut the chains.
removed the front axles, removed the bolts from the carrier, and slide the carrier back far enough to remove the chains.

:drinkup

sundown57

i like the sound of that. from what i had read the hole wasn't big enough to allow for that. working on it now will up date. yes the bearings are gone. it had water in the chain case. like 8 gallons of it.. glad i got it at good price.