• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MCM drops GM Pontiac East Assembly Plant Vent Stacks **video**

EarthRockHill

Occupation
Industrial Photographer
MCM Industrial Services of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, USA working to demolish the General Motors Pontiac East Assembly Plant in Pontiac, Michigan brought 6 - 200 foot Paint Shop Ventilation Stacks to the ground on Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 at approximately 2:00 PM.

Under the direction of Devon Industrial Group (DIG) of Detroit, Michigan, USA this well planned event was orchestrated with a pre-task plan, exact surgical steel cuts to the supporting legs, and a systematic 4 step pull down process.

Cameras were remotely mounted in 7 separate locations to show the complete scope of the planning and process.

Shot on GoPro and Canon cameras.

Camera and Edit by Stephen SetteDucati

[video=youtube;luIPLcUrQgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luIPLcUrQgY[/video]

d9gdon

Just another example of how America has fallen under this president's administration. No more American manufacturing. Sent it all out of the country. This makes me sick, but so does a trip down the highway to see 85% foreign cars on the road. Oh yeah, they make 'em here don't they? The money goes back to the home country to pay for schools, fire and police dept., infrastructure, etc., etc.

Nothing wrong with that huh? Oops, who pays for the welfare checks Obama sends out every week? I do, I do. So do you.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Just another example of how America has fallen under this president's administration. No more American manufacturing. Sent it all out of the country. This makes me sick, but so does a trip down the highway to see 85% foreign cars on the road. Oh yeah, they make 'em here don't they? The money goes back to the home country to pay for schools, fire and police dept., infrastructure, etc., etc.

Nothing wrong with that huh? Oops, who pays for the welfare checks Obama sends out every week? I do, I do. So do you.

We might have paid for the Demolition too.

Turbo21835

We might have paid for the Demolition too.
I have worked with MCM in the past, they pay for the privilege of wrecking these plants. They "buy" the plant from gm so they dont have to follow the UAW labor rules. Then they usually split the profit of the scrap sales with GM. The only pay item is environmental work, as gm should have to pay to abate asbestos and remove other hazardous materials.

What is the site going to be used for?

Chances are the site will be used for nothing. Gm has had a habit of wrecking their unused factories and leaving a concrete slab. This allows them to pay very little in property taxes as the site is worth very little compared to what it was worth with a factory on it. Chances are the site is old by Motor Holdings Corp which was set up for gm to dump their assests they did not want when they went bankrupt. Most of those facilities are old and not as efficient as the plants they decided to keep. The one item I am interested in is the ground contamination at these sites. So far there has been no remediation done, this is part of the reason they leave the concrete slab, as it "contains" the contamination. I wonder if they were able to transfer the environmental liability to Motor Holdings Corp. If they were, the day after the last plant demolition is finished, I expect to see Motor Holdings corp close its doors and leave someone a bill for cleaning these sites up.

Machinerye

That is indeed really sad tearing down the plants...they were to put it broadly, a place where someone that was willing to work could get a good job, and lead a middle class lifestyle. Its kind of symbolic to me, tearing down the plants is just an extension of the destruction of the middle class in this country.

Still aside from that, it would be pretty neat doing the stack demo work!

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator

Although I agree strongly on buying American, the factories moving overseas started when Obama was probably still in elementary school.

d9gdon

Yeah, I guess he just put 'em in the express lane. Not my idea of a "fundamental transformation of America"...

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
American manufacturers put the public on the import diet by building crappy cars. The most expensive car I ever owned was a Ford Taurus. I paid for more repair work on that car than all the other cars I've owned. It was replaced by a Toyota 4 Runner that has gone more miles and only cost me gas, oil and filters.

US presidents have little to do with imports. US car manufacturer presidents have everything to do with imports. Next time you hear some suit and tie complain about labor rates and unions you should find out how much the tie collects in bonus for putting those people out of work.

d9gdon

...and what does the union worker make at a car factory in Japan or Korea? He doesn't exist, so it's not apples to apples. In this global economy, the end result will be whoever can furnish the equivalent quality car or truck for the best price. No one's standard of living is equal to America, so we will always have a higher labor cost, all other things being equal. Why shouldn't there be a tariff on imports if China or whoever can supply that quality because they pay their worker $4 per day and he's starving, much less because they pilfered our technology that our manufacturers spent the money on R&D and testing, but that our spineless administration won't prosecute current global patent and copyright laws, because it makes the goods cheaper to sell here in the short run. By the way, I don't have to tell you that Congress doesn't have to abide by our insider trading laws.

...and the president doesn't have much to do with imports? What about the Iranian embargo in the 1970's? I met a guy back about 8 years ago doing work in my territory, about 70 years old. He owns several hundred pieces of equipment and does work all over our state. I was shocked to find out that he made a lot of his money by selling new Cat equipment to the Iranians during that period. Just call up Caterpillar and make a 1 - 2 million dollar order for equipment, and oh by the way go ahead and ship it to the Gulf of Mexico, we've got a job going on there. Onto the ship it went, headed to the Middle East. Traitor? No, his global economy just started earlier than our official government version.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
...and what does the union worker make at a car factory in Japan or Korea?

Japan has strong unions, with wages similar to the U.S. Their benefit costs are cheaper because they have a different health care insurance system. Health insurance is not through your employer there. Also Japan protects their industries, you can not just come into their country and sell whatever you want. They have strong tariffs on imports, as do most industrialized nations except the U.S.

orville

Occupation
Millwright / weldor
Japan has strong unions, with wages similar to the U.S. Their benefit costs are cheaper because they have a different health care insurance system. Health insurance is not through your employer there. Also Japan protects their industries, you can not just come into their country and sell whatever you want. They have strong tariffs on imports, as do most industrialized nations except the U.S.

I don't know what a Japanese auto manufacture does in japan. I do know what a Japanese auto manufacture does in the US. They are totally anti union, I have read they have anti unions meetings before they even start work in the morning. Toyota has a large part of there work force hired as temporary workers. They are paid less than their full time co-workers doing the same type of job. There was a 5 year temporary employee who submitted an application for full time status when a position became available. He failed his physical because he had developed carpel tunnel during his part time status with Toyota. Carpel tunnel is developed by using power tools that are hard on your hands and wrist. Or repetitive hand wrist action that is hard on the body.Toyota promptly fired him to the street. He no longer has a job because he was injured at Toyota.

I did not know Toyota had a plant in West Virginia but here is an ad I found on Craigs list.

Toyota Production Workers (Buffalo, WV)

Date: 2012-02-21, 1:52PM CST
Reply to: 7p2kc-2863370386@job.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Manpower Production Team Members needed at the Toyota Motor Manufacturing Plant in Buffalo, WV. $11.60-$14.30 per hour. Opportunity for 3 year assignment.

Bonuses & pay increases as well as weekly paycheck and benefits.

Must be able to work any/all shifts as well as overtime & weekends when necessary. Must be able to pass drug screen & background check.

Apply at manpowerjobs.com and choose WV-Hurricane as your preferred branch.

Compensation: 11.60-14.30 per hour
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
PostingID: 2863370386

Their wage offer does not sound that attractive for an auto assembly plant. Maybe they treat their home land workers different than their American counterparts?

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I don't know what a Japanese auto manufacture does in japan. I do know what a Japanese auto manufacture does in the US. They are totally anti union, I have read they have anti unions meetings before they even start work in the morning. Toyota has a large part of there work force hired as temporary workers. They are paid less than their full time co-workers doing the same type of job. There was a 5 year temporary employee who submitted an application for full time status when a position became available. He failed his physical because he had developed carpel tunnel during his part time status with Toyota. Carpel tunnel is developed by using power tools that are hard on your hands and wrist. Or repetitive hand wrist action that is hard on the body.Toyota promptly fired him to the street. He no longer has a job because he was injured at Toyota.

I did not know Toyota had a plant in West Virginia but here is an ad I found on Craigs list.

Toyota Production Workers (Buffalo, WV)

Date: 2012-02-21, 1:52PM CST
Reply to: 7p2kc-2863370386@job.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Manpower Production Team Members needed at the Toyota Motor Manufacturing Plant in Buffalo, WV. $11.60-$14.30 per hour. Opportunity for 3 year assignment.

Bonuses & pay increases as well as weekly paycheck and benefits.

Must be able to work any/all shifts as well as overtime & weekends when necessary. Must be able to pass drug screen & background check.

Apply at manpowerjobs.com and choose WV-Hurricane as your preferred branch.

Compensation: 11.60-14.30 per hour
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
PostingID: 2863370386

Their wage offer does not sound that attractive for an auto assembly plant. Maybe they treat their home land workers different than their American counterparts?

Apparently they treat people better in their own country.