• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Probably a late 1950's edition given the long power divider, cast trunion stand, 34K rear spring suspension, and thin 1/4" frame rails. The B-42 series had either a Mack EN-401, or EN-402 engine, (same engine, flathead six) which were very reliable, severely under powered, and drank gasoline like there was no tomorrow. Truck does have the heavier front axle as uses the flat hub caps that were embossed "Mack" rather than the spin on type hub cover that looked like an oil filter.

Wagner "Power Amplifyer" chambers were just as common as the Bendix "Rotochamber" was on the B series Macks of the era. Both are equal in braking force of a modern Type 20 service chamber of modern design. Both the aforementioned types however were smaller in diameter than the more modern service chambers of today. Both of the former are cost prohibitive to work with these days with a diaphragm for the rotochamber design being over a hundred dollars and an O ring kit for the Wagner design being about the same. The Wagner design used an aluminum piston which corroded internally to the bore, (shell) rendering it useless once they began to stick which was common. Air dryers were not common on trucks when these were normal installed equipment and they did suffer from it.

Depending upon the type of rear brake spiders installed is a decision to which modern chamber you can retrofit onto the existing mounts. If an SWDL-56 34K series rear suspension you are limited to type 20 service chambers. These are thick aluminum casting brake spiders. The steel spiders can have type 24/24 spring brake chambers installed but the clearance to the tire is close and you would not want to operate off road with them as the mud will pack between the chamber and tire. You can retrofit a more modern, (early R model) brake spider to the existing axle housing by machining a 1/2" spacer block to mount between the axle flange and brake spider and mount type 30/30 chambers too. That takes the spiders themselves, four spacers each drilled with eight 5/8" holes for mounting, and of course the chambers.

All from memory which is fading fast so take it for what it's worth but I've been around that task a time or two.....

Truck Shop

Wow that is a difficult question to answer. Remember there is a left side right side brain pattern to start with. One thing when it comes to free hand art is getting use to looking at everything
from a perspective opposite from everyone around you. I know for a fact other artist that do work along the same borders as mine see or find them selves constantly seeing things with
acute and obtuse angles. For instance when I look at vehicle I look at all angles plus curves at the same time and make mental notes of rivets and just how many. Small items become
mental measuring points stored away in my small brain. If I look at a building I'm looking at it solely using acute and obtuse angles. Hell I find myself watching TV and I'm lining things up
while I'm watching, something I just automatically do and can't stop.

When I start a drawing I'm probably one of only one that draws the way I do according to other artist, I'm a total odd ball and everyone says so.:) I start a layout with 4H or 5H pencil but
the odd thing that I do and apparently no one else does is I start with the front wheel and work three angles at once. In other words front wheel first then in this order, bumper, fender opening, grill, top of hood,
top of fender, center of windshield then sides, visor, top and back of cab, air cleaner, door and mirror, fuel tank, right front wheel then rear wheels and quarter fenders. And that's a fairly
detailed layout the way I want it. Then I go over it with free hand in ink using {Pigma Micron Pens or Faber Castell Pitt pens that come in shades of gray. The best thing to practice first
is just drawing circles and ovals and straight lines free hand. Then start drawing ovals using a mental vanishing point, I never use a real vanishing point using a ruler, because although it is
a true vanishing point realistically no one sees it that way. It's all practice-hand-eye coordination making the pencil do what's in your mind.

I will finish by saying what I do in ink has to be right the first time, there is no eraser.:eek: Hope that helps if no I can give you some other ideas too.

Truck Shop

Thank you!

I've never been much good at drawing. But then again I never really tried. Guess the only way to get good at something is to try it. Definitely appreciate you taking the time to write all that out!

Don't say you've never been much good at drawing if you never really tried. You will talk yourself out of the idea before you even get started. Get some paper and pencil and draw the coffee cup
in front of you {if you drink coffee}. There is always a cup in front of me. A coffee cup has all the angles built into it to make a good practice piece.

DIYDAVE

A local community college or senior center will likely have intro art classes, very cheap, or free. With any luck at all, you can sign up for drawing nudes, the hell with mechanical drawing, after a little practice on T&A, everything else, is EASY!;)

Truck Shop

A local community college or senior center will likely have intro art classes, very cheap, or free. With any luck at all, you can sign up for drawing nudes, the hell with mechanical drawing, after a little practice on T&A, everything else, is EASY!;)

How do you know everything else is easy?

Mother Deuce

Wow that is a difficult question to answer. Remember there is a left side right side brain pattern to start with. One thing when it comes to free hand art is getting use to looking at everything
from a perspective opposite from everyone around you. I know for a fact other artist that do work along the same borders as mine see or find them selves constantly seeing things with
acute and obtuse angles. For instance when I look at vehicle I look at all angles plus curves at the same time and make mental notes of rivets and just how many. Small items become
mental measuring points stored away in my small brain. If I look at a building I'm looking at it solely using acute and obtuse angles. Hell I find myself watching TV and I'm lining things up
while I'm watching, something I just automatically do and can't stop.

When I start a drawing I'm probably one of only one that draws the way I do according to other artist, I'm a total odd ball and everyone says so.:) I start a layout with 4H or 5H pencil but
the odd thing that I do and apparently no one else does is I start with the front wheel and work three angles at once. In other words front wheel first then in this order, bumper, fender opening, grill, top of hood,
top of fender, center of windshield then sides, visor, top and back of cab, air cleaner, door and mirror, fuel tank, right front wheel then rear wheels and quarter fenders. And that's a fairly
detailed layout the way I want it. Then I go over it with free hand in ink using {Pigma Micron Pens or Faber Castell Pitt pens that come in shades of gray. The best thing to practice first
is just drawing circles and ovals and straight lines free hand. Then start drawing ovals using a mental vanishing point, I never use a real vanishing point using a ruler, because although it is
a true vanishing point realistically no one sees it that way. It's all practice-hand-eye coordination making the pencil do what's in your mind.

I will finish by saying what I do in ink has to be right the first time, there is no eraser.:eek: Hope that helps if no I can give you some other ideas too.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'm always amazed at the skills someone like TS has. Especially for myself who has a rough time drawing a straight line using a ruler at times!

It's the same with people who can write songs. Heard someone asking a young song writer once about how she comes up with her songs. Her reply was "Simple, I just think about something I want to say and write down a verse and then think of some thing that rhymes with it and just keep going till I'm finished with what I wanted to say!"

Another is some of the athletes in Olympic Gymnastics like Simon Biles there are times I think she would be in trouble if she ever took a class in physics and learned the truth about gravity!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
People think the same about us mechanics. We think our work is greasy and dirty but the right customers appreciate it because they feel they could never do it. Maybe the aptitude really is a gift, or maybe they just didn't try hard enough, or maybe their dad was not patient enough letting them wreck his lawn mower over and over when they were a kid.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
People think the same about us mechanics. We think our work is greasy and dirty but the right customers appreciate it because they feel they could never do it. Maybe the aptitude really is a gift, or maybe they just didn't try hard enough, or maybe their dad was not patient enough letting them wreck his lawn mower over and over when they were a kid.

I have often wondered why the next door neighbor let me do some of the repairs on his cars he drove to work back when I was still in high school! I never had any formal training but he had me do a brake job one time and another time one of his cars had a problem with the column shifter. The tube that the levers connected to was cracked. I did not have a welder but one of the guys my dad worked with I knew had one so I removed the shift tube and drove over to his house and had him tack weld it together came back and installed it.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender

I can't find anything like that around here lol.