• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Clawed Backster

Up until a few years ago, there was an OLD looking dude who drove one that looked about like that one. He pulled a pair of flatbeds with it and generally hauled lumber or veneer. Truck was grey, if I remember correctly. Said "Galbreath" on the door, and I think he was based in Springfield Oregon. He looked like he had probably driven that truck since it was new.
Any of you remember seeing him or the truck?

Truck Shop

Notice this KW has no wing vent windows plus short radiator which means it was gas powered.
Wing vents didn't start till late 49. Built some where from 46 to 48. probably a 585 model with a serial
number starting either with 56000, 57000 or 58000.

730bf237c1acc75a6e7acc62b37ca620.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to ask of pedigree and manufacture of early KW Cabs, are considerably close in appearance to Kelowna Cabs White used, down to transition rolls below door glass.

Truck Shop

Have to ask of pedigree and manufacture of early KW Cabs, are considerably close in appearance to Kelowna Cabs White used, down to transition rolls below door glass.

KW cabs were all KW design. The funny thing about the old gas/butane engines, especially Hall Scott.
Was the tendency to ice the carb and manifold on hard throttle. Even in a ambient temp of a 100*.
Those would start losing power and black smoke at the stack. Let off the throttle and in no time the ice
would melt/start running right.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Curious they placed a Joe Dog coupler in Front, much easier to situate under a trailer that way. Would not have expected such back in those days.

skyking1

KW cabs were all KW design. The funny thing about the old gas/butane engines, especially Hall Scott.
Was the tendency to ice the carb and manifold on hard throttle. Even in a ambient temp of a 100*.
Those would start losing power and black smoke at the stack. Let off the throttle and in no time the ice
would melt/start running right.
inline 6's, if they don't have coolant heated intakes are just hanging out there in the breeze and don't get heated much. all that evaporating fuel and air at full wonk does a lot of cooling, I imagine.
in aircraft they don't ice so much at full go as they do when you pull the throttle back to idle for descent and landing.

skyking1

Thanks I did not know they made trucks in Kelowna. It was all fruit and wineries when we visited in the late 80's, but we had to have driven by the plant.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Makes me think on Nitromethane engines.
Blow so much fuel thru them they need no coolant, actually run cold, no water pump no radiator no coolant volume, vicious high speed fuel consumers!!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Makes me think on Nitromethane engines.
Blow so much fuel thru them they need no coolant, actually run cold, no water pump no radiator no coolant volume, vicious high speed fuel consumers!!
Yea but those nitro burners are only good for short hauls!