• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I think trucks in the late 60s early 70s were about as good as they ever were . After that they started going down hill.
That old iron was well built. Early 2000s was when everything started to really go downhill IMO. They had the electronic engines figured out. Good power and fuel economy and they ran relatively clean. Then along came EGR, DPF and SCR, plus a ton of extra electronic garbage.

Truck Shop

That old iron was well built. Early 2000s was when everything started to really go downhill IMO. They had the electronic engines figured out. Good power and fuel economy and they ran relatively clean. Then along came EGR, DPF and SCR, plus a ton of extra electronic garbage.
As far as engines yes--1987 marked the year for cabs being outfitted with cheaper interiors.
The use of plastics by 1990 became the standard, no more aluminum extras.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I don't know how well the interiors on mid 2000's and older KW's are holding up today but they seemed pretty solid back then. My old man's '02 KW interior was next to immaculate after 4 or 5 years of bush hauling. I drove a 4 year old Cascadia a couple years ago that had less miles on the highway than my dad's KW had seen in the bush and that thing was a clapped out rattle trap.

Truck Shop

I don't know how well the interiors on mid 2000's and older KW's are holding up today but they seemed pretty solid back then. My old man's '02 KW interior was next to immaculate after 4 or 5 years of bush hauling. I drove a 4 year old Cascadia a couple years ago that had less miles on the highway than my dad's KW had seen in the bush and that thing was a clapped out rattle trap.
A real good example was the last of the 359 Pete's with the Corvette dash. Mid 87 was the last
359. The door panels of the 359 had a much stouter backing material that moisture didn't
cause to wrinkle, Pete's at that time could still be bought with {slang} two cowhide interior.
Mid 87 the dash went to a flat square panel that was thin plastic and the upholstery was cheap.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I really don't know much about Peterbilts, I was always a KW guy.

Those old A Model cabs were pretty well built. My 900A had a piece of cracked and broken aluminum down by the clutch pedal but other than that the dash was solid. The steel firewall and front floor section were rusted through or very thin in a few spots but that's not suprising based on its age. I agree the plastic dashes of today would probably not be in that good of shape by the time the 2060s roll around.

Truck Shop

I really don't know much about Peterbilts, I was always a KW guy.

Those old A Model cabs were pretty well built. My 900A had a piece of cracked and broken aluminum down by the clutch pedal but other than that the dash was solid. The steel firewall and front floor section were rusted through or very thin in a few spots but that's not suprising based on its age. I agree the plastic dashes of today would probably not be in that good of shape by the time the 2060s roll around.
Depending on just old and rough the life was is what determines the W900A cab. Those could
come with single or dual mounts at back of cab, I've seen the singles busted completely out.
The roof caps would get to sagging on those also. I had to use a bottle jack and 4x4 to jack
the cab door opening back straight to install these 98 daylight doors on this 1969.
1 001.JPG

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Depending on just old and rough the life was is what determines the W900A cab. Those could
come with single or dual mounts at back of cab, I've seen the singles busted completely out.
The roof caps would get to sagging on those also. I had to use a bottle jack and 4x4 to jack
the cab door opening back straight to install these 98 daylight doors on this 1969.
View attachment 307492
Mine was a logging truck for the first 20 years of its life. Not an easy life by any means. The first owner laid it over on the driver's side some time in the mid 80s. Everything was still pretty straight and square amazingly. I've been told the Canadian built Kenworths had a lot more steel in the cabs. The only aluminum on mine was really just the doors, the rear cab skin/rear window opening and the dash. The rest was steel and fiberglass.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
There is an interesting haul that is just gearing up. The Manh Choh is going to haul gold ore from Tetlin, down the Richardson, the Steese, and to Fort Knox for processing.

Black Gold Transportation in FAI has the contract.

K-dubs and Pete’s pulling 95-foot-long combos with 40-ton double side dumps. The plan is to run an average of 60 ore loads a day. PACCAR is cranking out tractors as fast as BGT can cut the checks.

They are competing for drivers and will have a camp for rotational employees to stay at. If someone wanted to stack piles of cash for awhile, this is one way to do it. I’m half tempted to hit the highway and make a few bucks with a BGT truck.

IMG_9655.jpeg

Truck Shop

The guy that's going to stack cash on that job is already up there and he sure won't be doing it truck driving. He'll be in some niche that he created.
I knew a guy that drove the haul road on the pipeline--Dave Holiday, Milton Freewater Or.
He grew up in the logging biz, hard scrabble. Only a few made any money, he died at 66
years, broke flat--just allot of good stories. Dave was one hell of a wheel man.