• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mental Health in Construction Industry

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The last ten years or more that I worked I always left the job for lunch. That short time away does wonders for the state of mind. Sometimes with one of the guys or a sub, but made it a point to not talk about the job until we got back to the site. Things just seemed to work better when you get to know the guy and learn a little about what they do away from work. Puts a human element into it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I agree.. I had a "lunch group".. we left EVERY DAY FOR YEARS & had a ball.. laughing & joking & even the occasional "Bit*h session.. but not that often on the later..
THEN I got hurt, left for 8 months, people left the company & some got "promoted" [what a joke} & turned into TOTAL ass*oles.. Its a TOTAL different ball game now..
I think I'll start drinkin on my lunch hour?? lol.. atleast I'll have an "excuse" for punching someone .. lol

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Last place I worked at definitely had a large amount of comradary. Usually 4 of us would hop in a pickup and head out for lunch every day. This place I'm at now, all the shop guys go out for coffee breaks and lunch breaks together. The 3 of us field guys get left out. I can understand since we're never consistently at the shop. Since only the field works weekends we'll usually bring in burgers or hot dogs and do our own BBQ. One guy who used to work with us would sometimes bring a smoker in. Smoked chicken and ribs on a Sunday afternoon was the greatest.

td25c

Last edited:

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I'm active in my local NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) chapter. I volunteer to do "odd jobs". The most recent was taking an old fire escape ladder off the cinder block exterior wall (yes they had a new one installed). I'm associated with them because mental illness runs in my family. I've taken the "Family to Family" class they offer for people who deal with mental illness in their lives. I learned alot taking that class.

Mental illness is a real thing. It doesn't show up in a cat scan, or an x-ray, but it's real, and it's different for everyone who has it. It affects everyone in the workplace, in the family, in the circle of friends. It can make someone say things or act in a way they otherwise never would. It can "come on" at some random point in your life. You are not necessarily born with it, but it has caused alot of people to die with it. In short, it really sucks.

This was obviously more of a "hot button" issue with me than I thought. I'll pipe down now :)