• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan 55 Torque Converter C272

jezow2010

Hi,
We have a Michigan 55 loader with a 3-53 Detroit in it. Not sure the exact series of the loader we can’t find a tag.

After sitting for 15 years we got it out and used it a touch and after a few hours one day we started it up and it ran for 10 minutes or so and then would not move. It was spewing fluid from the breather on the torque converter. Now every time we start it it will work for a little then just won’t move. Maybe a 1/4” stream or so leaking from the breather.

Looks like maybe the breather is bad but could that be why it doesn’t move?

So far we have changed the filter and the fluid and cleaned the screen.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpeg
    IMG_0608.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 7

jezow2010

More pictires

Attachments

• 06EA1844-C254-47BD-B30A-574370ADDCEF.png
    06EA1844-C254-47BD-B30A-574370ADDCEF.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • C01BB8BE-EE72-4DB2-AF90-55D44F6664E9.jpeg
    C01BB8BE-EE72-4DB2-AF90-55D44F6664E9.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 10

Vetech63

It looks like a remote mount convertor. Is there a driveshaft between the convertor and the transmission? If so, the shaft should lock up when you select a gear from neutral. When you lose drive, is the shaft still turning or no?
Also, that breather has a stone type insert under that outer cover. Remove the outer cover and see if it is there........could be broken or missing.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Been some decades since I would have touched something of that vintage. But first thing I would be looking at is if there is a breather on the transmission, if s check to be sure it's not plugged.

Next might want to know if there is a hose/pipe from the bottom of the converter to the transmission case, if so make sure it's not plug or from some reason not letting oil drain out of the converter. Like a failure of the inner part of hose restricting flow.

jezow2010

It is a converted divorced from the trans. Driveshaft goes between.

The driveshaft does not move when the machine does not move

kshansen

Occupation
It is a converted divorced from the trans. Driveshaft goes between.

The driveshaft does not move when the machine does not move
Can you see if there is a drain line from lower part of converter or flywheel housing to the transmission case?

Also when it did move did it seem to have good pushing power when in gear?

With oil coming out the breather on the converter the two things I first think of are:

One, is there a problem, leak of some kind, causing what ever drains oil back to the transmission case to be overwhelmed.

Two, is the drain line/hose restricted not allowing oil to drain from converter fast enough.

And like I mentioned above is there a vent/breather on the transmission case that is plugged or restricted causing back pressure to the converter.

I guess what I'm getting at is if oil is being pushed out the converters breather it boils down to either too much internal leakage in the converter overwhelming the drain system or something not letting the drain system to function as it should.

jezow2010

Yeah it seemed to have great power. Just like it always had.

Kind of the same thing I am thinking, or maybe a bad pump or safety valve I was reading?

Will check the lines but want to make sure we check everything before we pull the motor we just in framed :)

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Jezow2010 - Below is the C272 maintenance manual so you can study up on the possible source of the problem.
It's obvious the converter/flywheel housing is overfilling with oil and being pushed out the breather.

The converter/flywheel housing needs an operational drain to ensure the oil leakage from the converter is being drained away and not building up in the housing. If the oil builds up to a serious level in the housing, it acts as a brake on the converter.

If the housing drain isn't blocked, I'd have to opine you have a major oil leak from the converter that is overfilling the housing.

kshansen

Occupation
Jezow2010 - Below is the C272 maintenance manual so you can study up on the possible source of the problem.
It's obvious the converter/flywheel housing is overfilling with oil and being pushed out the breather.

The converter/flywheel housing needs an operational drain to ensure the oil leakage from the converter is being drained away and not building up in the housing. If the oil builds up to a serious level in the housing, it acts as a brake on the converter.

If the housing drain isn't blocked, I'd have to opine you have a major oil leak from the converter that is overfilling the housing.

Yep, check item 4 and item 9 in the troubleshooting chart in that manual! I'm guessing you are not seeing the overheating part of the problem as the oil fills the converter housing fast enough to starve the transmission pump before it shows as getting hot.

They seem to agree with my thoughts as to too much leakage or too slow of drain back to transmission case. Have you checked for a breather/vent on the transmission case?

STEFANO

Sì, sembrava avere un grande potere. Proprio come ha sempre fatto.

Un po 'la stessa cosa che sto pensando, o forse una brutta pompa o valvola di sicurezza che stavo leggendo?

Controllerà le linee ma vogliamo assicurarci di controllare tutto prima di tirare il motore che abbiamo appena incorniciato :)
Hi Jezow,

IO send you Part Manual for Converter C272 CLARK.

Regards

Attachments

• Converter 272-93.pdf
    220.3 KB · Views: 9

jezow2010

Anyone know how to check the pressures on this beast? I see two pipe plug ports on the valve by the converter inlet, that has to tell us something?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Somewhat surprisingly, I cannot find any instructions in any Clark publication, as to where to take pressure readings.

However, by pure good luck, I did find a 1967 Training Module from the Minn. Dept of Education as regards troubleshooting the Michigan/Clark transmissions and torque converters.

This module covers all models of Michigans from the 55-III upwards and appears to contain more troubleshooting information than any other Clark/Michigan manual I have found.

Here is the Service Manual for the C270 transmissions, it gives specs, but is still short on information as to where pressure checks are to be taken from.

jezow2010

Thanks Oz, that's pretty good info. I think I can piece it together from there.

I am going to remove the little valve assembly and make sure that is ok, check the converter in and out pressures and probably do a flow test on the converter drain if I don't see anything else. Also check the suction and drain lines.

My thought is that if the converter in pressure is low OR the out pressure is high it probably points to a leak or something.

jezow2010

Just wanted to give an update -

Added some Lucas Oil Hydraulic Seal Conditioner and just ran it about two weeks ago for an hour off and on but no hard pushing or anything. No issues although it does not seem like it grabs and bogs the engine super hard. Yesterday after sitting for two weeks I started it up and let it idle for 10 minutes then drove it 100 feet and it just stopped moving. Driveshaft was not moving when it was sitting idling in neutral. Then when you shut it off you can really hear the fluid draining out through that vacuum check valve. Then after sitting for an hour I started it back up and ran it for 20 minutes no issues, when it was idling the driveshaft would spin in neutral and when I shut it off no sound of the fluid draining back.

Maybe a check valve causing the intermittent issues?

joer00

Check that BOTH breathers are free. There is one on the TC and one on the gearbox. Clean the suction filter in the gearbox and replace the filter between the TC and the charge pump. Make sure you have the correct oil for your temperature