• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

michigan loader 75

tree_man150

Occupation
tree service owner--i trim and remove trees
its been noted that one of the levers for the transmisson is for work /travel(lever on the floor board)
my question is - does it more or less take it out of 4 wheel drive-for the travel aspect-or does it give it one more speed while traveling long distances--or road gear so to speak--
thanks for any input here.
won't know for sure til i try it--but that won't be til i get the brakes working and a few other issues with the machine finished

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
The transmission is a 2 speed 2 range transmission. The work range or travel range have nothing to do with the four wheel drive. They are stricktly sliding gears in the bottom of the transmission that give you either high gear or low gear, that is why the machine has to be stopped before changing ranges.

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
I was surprised to read in the manual on my 75A to put it into 4 wheel drive raise the front wheels off the ground first.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
The manual that I have has it wrong by stating that you have to do this to line up the clutch gear teeth. What it is is a sliding collar that engages the rear wheel output, if the splines don't line up and you try to force it, you could damage the shifting fork. By lifting the front wheels off the ground the the splines can line up due to a a slight taper at the ends of the teeth.

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
I found that the "inching" on my machine has been disabled. There's a brake line coming off the master cylinder that goes to the transmission. I think it goes to a piston of some sorts. Somebody cut the brake line and sealed off both ends.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I wasn't aware of any inching function on the Clark transmission. more likley it is a declutch valve that will declutch the transmission when stepping on the brake so when you are dumping a load you can rev the engine faster to dump and roll back the bucket without ramming the side of the truck.

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
Thank you sir, you are probably correct. I was just guessing that's what it was. Any idea why someone would have disabled that.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
Some of the early Clarks were set up with one brake pedal so any time you stepped on the brake the transmission would declutch in forward not reverse, then when you released the brake there was a time lag for the clutch to engage so if you were on a down grade loading a truck or backfilling a ditch the machine would roll into the truck or ditch. This was a reason to disable the function. Later they went to two brake pedals, one would operate the declultch and the other would not, so the operator had a choice.