• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

military dozer difference

Pete1468

I see quite a few ex military dozers for sale and was curious what or if there is a difference.
Saw an ad for a d7 F and was curious about it. I'd like to find a 6 but the price and hours seem good.

bvfdfire

Occupation
project superintendent for highway heavy construct
from the dealings that i've had with them in the past, the biggest difference is with the wiring harnesses. All the MILSPEC machines have sealed and shielded harnesses, in fact, the military machines appear to almost be intrinsically safe.

pajibson

Not sure on the dozers but wiring harness' are usually different on the military stuff. We used to use ruggedized connectors from amphenol. Been seeing a lot more stuff with Deutsche connectors now tho. If you end up getting it shoot me a message. I probably have the manuals in pdf.

salkan

Occupation
farm
I own a 61g 1046 D7F. First difference is the come with a steel radiator, defoford device heavy belly pans. You can look up parts using the 94n prefix. Also know the military is famous for changing out hour meters for various reasons. Mine had 284 hours on it but cat guys thought around 3000 hours on machine. Mine has been very good to me after fixing some items such as too small of fuel line. Check for water in finals as these have set around for a long time. Wish I knew how to attach a pic. Good luck

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
There is a train car load of these at Ritchie Bros this week in Orlando. D7G's, Case 1150's and 5000lb telescopic forklifts.

Pete1468

What is the weight on a D7F? I've been searching around the web and can't nail down a weight of one. I've seen all the way from 38000 to 54000lbs. I've got a tandem axle detach and I'm thinking it's not enough trailer. Also where is a good spot to look up serial numbers?

td25c

What is the weight on a D7F? I've been searching around the web and can't nail down a weight of one. I've seen all the way from 38000 to 54000lbs. I've got a tandem axle detach and I'm thinking it's not enough trailer. Also where is a good spot to look up serial numbers?

This one has a picture of the ID tag . GVW looks like 46,891 lbs. I would have guessed around 48,000 . I cant quite make out the shipping wt .

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=10536615

salkan

Occupation
farm
mine scaled around 56000 it also has a heavy three shank ripper

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI

I'm not trying to advertise for another site here but you could look to steel soldiers.com for some of the info you need, Also some of the equipment (not all) needs an end user certificate with the Gov. especially if you are buying it directly from a gov. DRMO website. when looking at the issue with the hr. meters, one needs to be cautious with those. a while back there was a big stink in the MV world about radioactive guages. so OSHA made the military do a complete investigation of all their vehicles, equipment and generators. I know the 800 series trucks were subject to that investigation as well. so a lot of guages were replaced as a result of that.

on another note:
I was on a website a while back.........come to find out there was this real low HR D7F for sale in Guam. bid price was $250 bucks........it had a winch and brand new cable, rails looked new, everything looked like it was backed off the ship and parked there never to be used............checked with a shipping company to see about a qoute for moving it............$22,000 bucks! just to get it to California, then I would have had to truck it from there........ trucking from California I think was around 2800. couple that with the buyers fee, and the fees associated with filing the EUC, I would have spent around 25,000 for that unit................ I turned it down just too much hassle...

D6c10K

Watched two D7F dozers sell on Gov Lic in the last month (Camp Dodge, IA) Nice looking machines but brought $50,000 ea plus 10% buyer's premium.

As far as machines on Guam go I'd be cautious. I've seen machines for sale there that were EXTREMELY rusty (from sea salt?) One I saw had the floor plates around the brake pedals actually rusted through.

As far as differences go, they've usually go options like rock guards, ripper or towing winch.....or little things like a rifle holder next to the dash, which would be kind of nice when you see a coyote.

A year or two ago Gov Lic sold a D7G that was in very nice condition except that someone had torch cut the turbo manifolds, exhaust manifold, and upper radiator pipe. Can't imagine what the reason would be. I thought de-milling equipment wasn't done much anymore. Was talking about it to the S. Sgt. at Camp Dodge who is in charge of DRMO sales. He told me they weren't even supposed to be selling D7G's

Last edited:

bigshow

I was at Ritchie Bros. in Orlando and they had a ton of those 1150's, 12H's and what appeared to be 988B's with a forklift mast in them. The 12's had foil on all hyd. cylinders and interior cab components. They also looked to have cosmoline on the exterior. The 1150's had a little different control set-up for the blade, and the 12H's were a little different in the cab set-up as well. Many were brand new or very little use, some had new hour meters and were noted and some had the original.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
That's one thing I was worried about too.......Sea air, rusted connections etc. ...............Agreed, rifle holder would be nice I think too!

The EPA has been raising cane about all the old engines not meeting specs. on emissions so I think there is a lot of machines that were getting junked. Last June I got an email from Gov. Liq. say all sales were cancelled pending the outcome of the decision from the epa./gov. they even cancelled sale to gov entities for fire tenders and etc. but then later this past fall I think about Nov. it was announced that sales would resume on a limited basis.

When I bought my truck it had an 8% buyers premium.........things still going up eh?

Essayons

There are many factors I would consider before acquiring a 7F. Specifically, what do you need it to do for you. I operate 2 D7F's, for the government, they are solid machines but tend to overheat if pushed really hard here in the southern states. Most of the F's on gov inventory have sat for months if not years and the hour meters typically don't tell the whole story since it only counts a true minute at 1500 rpm. 300 hrs is really typical, I inframed ours when it had 500 hrs on the original meter. That was in '05, it now reads 310 hrs. There are 2 different engines often found in these dozers, one is a more updated version and lacks the power of the older engine. Both scale a few hundred pounds over 50K. Both are '73-'74 models. If interested I have full parts, service and operators manuals in pdf plus the winch manual. I can give a lot more info on this particular machine if you'd like from both an operating standpoint as well as maintenance.

salkan

Occupation
farm
I purchased mine direct from gov. Is there any way to find any past history of the machine. It had 505th en bn stenciled on it. The dry link under carriage was shot, showed 284 hours on it when purchased. Looked like it was used to push concrete or hard rock as underside has some gouging in it. I like mine after 800 hours of running it. mine is a 61g 1046. Hour meter does not match wear on machine but all fluid samples were taken and came back good.

Pete1468

There was a misprint, its a D7E 75 E serialnumber. I'm going to look at it today to answer some of my questions. Some of the people I've talked to said they weighed 40000 to 45000 without a ripper. Is there a good place to find a rops for one? Called a couple places and they didn't have one.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
There are many factors I would consider before acquiring a 7F. Specifically, what do you need it to do for you. I operate 2 D7F's, for the government, they are solid machines but tend to overheat if pushed really hard here in the southern states. Most of the F's on gov inventory have sat for months if not years and the hour meters typically don't tell the whole story since it only counts a true minute at 1500 rpm. 300 hrs is really typical, I inframed ours when it had 500 hrs on the original meter. That was in '05, it now reads 310 hrs. There are 2 different engines often found in these dozers, one is a more updated version and lacks the power of the older engine. Both scale a few hundred pounds over 50K. Both are '73-'74 models. If interested I have full parts, service and operators manuals in pdf plus the winch manual. I can give a lot more info on this particular machine if you'd like from both an operating standpoint as well as maintenance.

Sometimes it's easy to be tempted by the bid price. thinking I'm better off for passing up that unit. maybe if it was a little closer, .........say down in IA or something I'd be more interested, but as it was said earlier the ones in IA are tending to sell high. I'm thinking the 7's were maybe an in between size that I may or may not be happy with anyway. There's a guy not to far from me that's got a 73'vintage D8 civi cat that is priced right with no pressure to buy either. new rails, new sprockets, etc etc.... he's even said I could rent it first to see if I like it. bad thing is there is no ripper, and I really could use a ripper for tree roots and etc. As for plans for buying military.................we'll see, not loosing any sleep over the ones that got away.

Essayons

Sometimes it's easy to be tempted by the bid price. thinking I'm better off for passing up that unit. maybe if it was a little closer, .........say down in IA or something I'd be more interested, but as it was said earlier the ones in IA are tending to sell high. I'm thinking the 7's were maybe an in between size that I may or may not be happy with anyway. There's a guy not to far from me that's got a 73'vintage D8 civi cat that is priced right with no pressure to buy either. new rails, new sprockets, etc etc.... he's even said I could rent it first to see if I like it. bad thing is there is no ripper, and I really could use a ripper for tree roots and etc. As for plans for buying military.................we'll see, not loosing any sleep over the ones that got away.

Good plan, military surplus is really hit or miss. Most are truly low hour machines but age and lack of use corrupts them.

D6c10K

Pete1468,
I have a copy of a Mil manual on the D7F.....it's around 950 pages of info if you'r interested. TM 5-2410-223-23P

I'll have a look and see if I can find other manuals for it.

D6c10K

Found a total of six Mil manuals on the D7F (.pdf format)

Operators Manual
Parts
Maintenance
Transport
Laser Equipment
Lubrication Order

Last edited: