• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mini X Trailer

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
My dad is looking for a trailer to haul his Kobelco 45sr on. He wants around a 12-14k. Can somebody recomend a brand? As for brakes, his dump truck had air brakes, so he is looking for either surge brakes or air. (air if possible). He is not set up for electric brakes at all. He already has an eager beaver 20xpt for when he takes the excavator and bobcat together, he is just looking for something smaller for when he takes the excavator alone.

Thanks
Nate

Last edited:

Jeff D.

Nate,you may have trouble finding a trailer in the 12k-14k range,with air brakes.Most trailers in that range have electric brakes.

I think this is in part due to the axles w/air brakes are usually duel wheels,and the weight ratings are 10k/axle and up.

There is electric over hydraulic,and air over hydraulic systems available,but they'll add to the cost of the trailer(over the electric alone).I don't know if the surge brakes are sold anymore,in that weight class.I do still see them on boat trailers,though,so maybe??

The easiest,and least costly would be to fit his truck with an electic brake controller.That would be in the $200-$300 range for that.But if he does not want electric brakes at all,the air over hydraulic may be the best way to match it too his truck,cost wise.

Here are two sites for trailers if price is a concern :
www.kaufmantrailers.com
www.appalachianmfg.com
I don't know if either are quality,or not,but the Kaufman trailer company will motify their spec's for you if needed(I priced a trailer from them,and wanted Oak decking instead of their Pine.They said no prob.!)

I just purchase a 25k trailer made by ABU,but they're in ND.,so the shipping to your area would be alot!!But it seems like a well built trailer.I don't have their web address for you though.Their prices were about $1000-1200 more for the same trailer as Kaufman,but have slightly better spec's(bigger channel,etc.)

I also had found a co. in Oklahoma,called Overbilt trailers.Their trailers were very industrial(and high quality!!)but the prices were higher than I could justify,for my application.You may check them if price isn't a concern,and you want quality.
www.overbilttrailers.com
I'm sure there are alot of other's out there too!!
Good Luck in your search.

Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
If you can find a air over hydraulic trailer that will work too but trying to find a trailer that small with air brakes is impossible. You will have to find a trailer that has vacuum over juice brakes and convert it to air over juice.

Most excavation contractors here run a 20 ton tilt trailer that they pull behind their gravel trucks (tandem axles) it works good they carry anything from a 11,000lb mini to a 160 size machine even a 200 size illegally.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
look at camsuperline trailers, their in PA I believe...we have a 12k and a 14k from them both tilts and their great...we move a bobcat 435 ex on it regularly and it does well

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
trailer for SK35sr

You are going to have to have at least a 14K# trailer that machine weights real close to 10K and if you have a cab and a couple of buckets you are going to be between 11-12K

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
Yeah, it is around 10k, and it does have a cab.
Here is a pic.

Attachments

• kb1.jpg
    kb1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 722

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
machine weight

that machine weights over 11K the base machine is 10450# the cab ads over 1K

xkvator

a friend of mine has a couple Foster trailers...i think they are 16K...

mert0714

Charter Member
We have a Towmaster 16DDB and have been real pleased with it. We researched a lot and found them to be one of the of the best around. They will customize also. Best is to check with them to see what they have to say. Good luck.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
That Kobelco is pushing the 11,000lb mark a guy I went to school with has one that size. You will need a decent sized trailer to carry that machine I would be looking for a 16,000lb trailer. When you figure the machine weighs 11,000lbs that will leave you 5000lbs for the trailer weight.

Tommjr

Hey Nate,

I have a New Yanmar VIO-50 Mini-Ex, weighs about 12,300 w/ Thumb and sand bucket.

I have a Felling Air Tip Bed Trailer. (No Ramps)

The trailer gross @ 19,600#. (actual trailer weight is 3200#) you can put 16,400#'s on her all day long.

I have a 450 JD dozer I haul on there as well. (great trailer!)

I highly recommend the tip bed. Once you buy one you'll never buy anything else. (truct me!)

Hope you find what you are looking for.

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
Well, my dad finally ordered one. He went with Holmes Tailers. http://www.holmestrailers.com He got a 14k model.

A question for you guys with similar trailers, how do you position the machine on the trailer? On his 20 ton eager beaver, he would just drive it all the way to the front and swing the boom around to the back. On this trailer I think 5 ton would be to much tongue weight. I am not really sure if positioning the machine over the wheels and having the boom forward if there would be enough tongue weight, or if there would be enough room for the boom.

Thanks
Nate

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
On these small machines, center the machine over the tire and boom forward. You can stick the boom out back if you want to, but it'll stick out past the end of the trailer depending on how much room you have, so I'd recommend boom to the front. Then when you go off, spin that sucker around and ride it off, always a fun, jolting experience :thumbsup

xkvator

i haul my 331 facing the rear on a 16' trailer behinf a s.a. L8000.
once in a while, if i'm going real close to home, i'll pull it behind an HD2500, and then face it to the front, as there's too much tongue weight with it facing to the rear.

atgreene

I've been researching trailers for my mini as well. Nichols trailer in Wilton Maine http://www.nicholstrailers.com/ builds a nice trailer, but are pricey compared to Coastal Metal Fab. in Topsham Maine http://www.sandspreader.com/.

I owned a new Moritz gooseneck with torsion ride that I really liked, but they don't build a tilt with torsion ride.

I also have a Hudson, but am not impressed.

My excavator is 7500 lbs. plus 3 buckets, fuel tank and tools etc... The split deck looks like the way to go, and I think I want power up and power down.

What has been anyones experience with power up and down? Does it work better than manual tilt, or more of a hassle?

Anyone else running torsion ride? I loved my last one, but have been told they sometimes aren't good off-road or on rough terrain.

Thanks.

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
Well, finally got the trailer. The trailer is a Holmes 14k. The only thing my dad doesn't like is the color. There are some pics in my signature.

Last edited: