• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mini's can fly

Hendrik

Where is safety regulations being broke at? 1 Nothing wrong with the mini being lifted out of the hole this way.2 The excavation was designed and stamped by a professional engineer.3 slopes are 2 1/2 to 1 and at the bottom 12 feet are on a 1 to 1 slope. No offense but I excavate for lift stations daily and this one is not considered deep in my line of work,OSHA visited me on this project and the only thing I got wrote up for were a couple of drop cords.Tell me whats wrong in these pictures.
Like I said, your regulation are different to ours,for one thing it is illegal to use a lift point that is attached to a bucket. Must be attached to the dipper arm, linkages or quick hitch and must be certified to be for that particular size of machine. There is a risk that the lift point can tear out of the bucket.
The ground looks reasonably stable in the bobcat lift and you are back from the edge but I would like to say that in that sort of situation there is a chance that the ground can collapse as the weight of the mini ex puts more weight on the front of the SK480, by the sounds of it you are an experienced operator and know the dangers involved and would have assessed the ground conditions. However in the interest of safety I want to point out that ground conditions can change if there is water involved, for example if there is a layer of clay that has gotten some moisture in it, that can slide/shear.
In the transformer (I assume) lift the ground crew is too close to the lift and should be using a tag line to manoeuvre the transformer into position, if for some reason that load drops, they may well get crushed. Sure once the load is within a couple of inches and it has to be dropped onto bolts, then you need to get closer.
Not sure whether a bandana is a approved safety helmet and over here they would be required to wear high vis stuff, well everyone on site would have to, there would be a sign at the site entrance that shows the required PPE (personal protection equipment).
Also that fella watching the dozer work is not wearing a hard hat, so if something falls off the top of that pumping station, he is going to have a big headache.
Don't know the weight of the transformer but the SWL of the SK480 is round about 6-10 tonnes at that lift location, however in the picture where the SK is not level the SWL will be affected and having the load at an angle to the machine will put strain on the slew motor and as the ex tips over the hump it may well cause the load to swing. Sure that may be the only way to have done it but it is not ideal.
Another thing is that over here only a qualified dogman/rigger is allowed to attach a load to an lifting device, the only exception is a repetitive lift where a dogman has calculated the load. However the excavator operator also needs to know that the dogman has done his/her job properly because the operator is responsible for any load he/she lifts and moves.
For example lets say that transformer weighs 4 tonnes, what should be the load rating for each of those straps?
Look I am not picking on you but pointing out that we have stricter safety regulations and also making those with limited experience aware that lifting loads with excavators is a high risk activity.
For example, someone sees your lift point on the back of the bucket and decides they need that too, not realising that may be illegal and/or dangerous. You may well have got your lift point bucket professionally made and certified but someone who grabs a bit of scrap steel (of unknown strength), drills a hole in it and welds it onto his/her bucket, may well be setting themselves up for disaster.

coorecat

Like I said, your regulation are different to ours,for one thing it is illegal to use a lift point that is attached to a bucket. Must be attached to the dipper arm, linkages or quick hitch and must be certified to be for that particular size of machine. There is a risk that the lift point can tear out of the bucket.
The ground looks reasonably stable in the bobcat lift and you are back from the edge but I would like to say that in that sort of situation there is a chance that the ground can collapse as the weight of the mini ex puts more weight on the front of the SK480, by the sounds of it you are an experienced operator and know the dangers involved and would have assessed the ground conditions. However in the interest of safety I want to point out that ground conditions can change if there is water involved, for example if there is a layer of clay that has gotten some moisture in it, that can slide/shear.
In the transformer (I assume) lift the ground crew is too close to the lift and should be using a tag line to manoeuvre the transformer into position, if for some reason that load drops, they may well get crushed. Sure once the load is within a couple of inches and it has to be dropped onto bolts, then you need to get closer.
Not sure whether a bandana is a approved safety helmet and over here they would be required to wear high vis stuff, well everyone on site would have to, there would be a sign at the site entrance that shows the required PPE (personal protection equipment).
Also that fella watching the dozer work is not wearing a hard hat, so if something falls off the top of that pumping station, he is going to have a big headache.
Don't know the weight of the transformer but the SWL of the SK480 is round about 6-10 tonnes at that lift location, however in the picture where the SK is not level the SWL will be affected and having the load at an angle to the machine will put strain on the slew motor and as the ex tips over the hump it may well cause the load to swing. Sure that may be the only way to have done it but it is not ideal.
Another thing is that over here only a qualified dogman/rigger is allowed to attach a load to an lifting device, the only exception is a repetitive lift where a dogman has calculated the load. However the excavator operator also needs to know that the dogman has done his/her job properly because the operator is responsible for any load he/she lifts and moves.
For example lets say that transformer weighs 4 tonnes, what should be the load rating for each of those straps?
Look I am not picking on you but pointing out that we have stricter safety regulations and also making those with limited experience aware that lifting loads with excavators is a high risk activity.
For example, someone sees your lift point on the back of the bucket and decides they need that too, not realising that may be illegal and/or dangerous. You may well have got your lift point bucket professionally made and certified but someone who grabs a bit of scrap steel (of unknown strength), drills a hole in it and welds it onto his/her bucket, may well be setting themselves up for disaster.
I know your not picking on me,Those buckets are designed from the factory that way and are pretty much indestuctable,as far as the ground shifting when lifting the mini not going to happen that's a rock ledge i'm sitting on,the guys around the generator were not my guys and I lifted the generator for them just to get them off my job and they didn't get near it till it was about a foot from the pad, as for lifting the gen. on an angle I picked it up and backed up till I was back level before I swung,I'm a certified rigger a NCCCO certified crane operator,the guy on the 480 and the job super so I figured what straps to use and there's no tag lines because I was right at the limit for the power lines in the picture and didn't want nobody around it as the load was not going to twist in the hook anyway ,and as for the guy watching the dozer he does have an orange V-guard hardhat on it's just hard to see.As for my straps I figured a load factor of 3 to 1 they are double ply 3 inch wide double eyed nylon straps form ashley sling company.They say a picture is worth a thousand words and that's why I posted it's good to hear how other people do things and I appreciate your post.That's the only thing bad about computers you can't tell what someone's tone of voice is and I did not mean to sound like I took offense or anything.

coorecat

I'm thinking my next excavator purchase is going to be a E50.Need something to go in between my BC 329 and linkbelt 160.I've got access to an old cat 416 but don't like using others equipment.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
I'm thinking my next excavator purchase is going to be a E50.Need something to go in between my BC 329 and linkbelt 160.I've got access to an old cat 416 but don't like using others equipment.

You will like it. Its one hack of a machine........I couldn't be happier with a machine. I have purchased allot of equipment in my days and this is the most pleased i have ever been with a new peice of equipment. Bobcat did some nice Engineering on the "M" series excavators IMHO.......Anything in particular you would like to know about I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. I will answer to the best of my feeble minded ability.

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Have to agree with Hendrik in all that he said, cant lift with the bucket on, all our excavators had all the lift points on the buckets cut off to comply with WHS regs and Hi Vis and hard hats are pretty much compulsory as well as long sleeve shirts and long trousers which makes for a for a very uncomfortable day when the temp is around 30+c and high humidity. The Wombles that make the rules obviously never have to work in such conditions, 24c in an A/C office would be their limit. Cheers RDG.

coorecat

I've validated my points enough this is not Australia this is in Sanford NC seems like you guys have to have a permit to to clean the tracks off over there lol. As for lifting with the buckets on I've seen to many of those quick hitch designs fail and wouldn't have one regardless. You can't see it in the pic but that machine would turn over before the lift point or hook would fail.Like previously stated the guys without Hardhats on don't work for me, I require hardhats 100% of the time for my guys unless on equipment and at least 4 inch sleeves on there shirts. Have a good one!

pafarmer

Occupation
Sounds like the Aussie's have more BS rules and Reg's than OSHA. I find comfort in knowing this little fact. Keep up the great work Coorecat and try not to bid any Aussie work..........ha ha ha

Hendrik

Sounds like the Aussie's have more BS rules and Reg's than OSHA. I find comfort in knowing this little fact. Keep up the great work Coorecat and try not to bid any Aussie work..........ha ha ha
Yeah we do have a few rules as to what can and can't be done but you have to remember that a lot of those came about from accidents.
Governments do have a responsibility to protect us from our stupidity, yes perhaps in some ways it is over the top but my attitude is that most rules are made for the most stupid person, not the average person. Look at road rules, supposedly cars are getting safer but the speed limits keep dropping around here, why? Because of human error.

coorecat

My Austailian counterparts you may rest assured that no American rules were being broken in any of these pictures. As for the hardhat comment that keeps popping up I can't enforce rules upon men that don't work for me and I wasn't the GC (General Contractor) on this particular job so those guys without hardhats on were going by the GC for this jobs rules all though I'll say on any job me and mine follow our own company safety policies and practices and with zero lost time injuries for the past decade I'd say my dad and I have a good safety record considiering the line of work we're in. (Knock on wood)

pafarmer

Occupation
Yeah we do have a few rules as to what can and can't be done but you have to remember that a lot of those came about from accidents.
Governments do have a responsibility to protect us from our stupidity, yes perhaps in some ways it is over the top but my attitude is that most rules are made for the most stupid person, not the average person. Look at road rules, supposedly cars are getting safer but the speed limits keep dropping around here, why? Because of human error.

Understood....One has to have policy, rules, safe practices etc.. Nothing wrong with that. We are in large part governed by OSHA. governemnt safety. Pain in the AZZ most of the time but as you point out something happened somewhere to make the rule come about in the first place. Peace...

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
yep.....Miner's have it tough too.......Everybody seems to have to stick their hand in your pocket these days.....

Hendrik

My Austailian counterparts you may rest assured that no American rules were being broken in any of these pictures. As for the hardhat comment that keeps popping up I can't enforce rules upon men that don't work for me and I wasn't the GC (General Contractor) on this particular job so those guys without hardhats on were going by the GC for this jobs rules all though I'll say on any job me and mine follow our own company safety policies and practices and with zero lost time injuries for the past decade I'd say my dad and I have a good safety record considiering the line of work we're in. (Knock on wood)
Like I said, I was pointing out the differences in safety legislation obligation, for instance over here you would have had to do a safety induction course, which covers the basics but puts the onus of safety back onto the worker somewhat. Insofar that if I see something unsafe I am obliged to tell the site/safety manager about it. So if on that site you where on it was a requirement to have high vis and hard hat, I would have to go and say to the site boss that a couple of workers where on site without the gear. If I don't and something happens I could be in the deep end as well.