• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mirrors

Curved mirrors or not?

• Replace all curved mirrors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace primary curved mirror

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not replace curved mirrors

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

killdozer

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I've been running equipment over 50 yrs., 22 of them for myself, the rest for other contractors. I absolutely detest those darn curved mirrors the manufacturers install at the factory. They strain my eyes and interfere with my depth perception to the rear. I have been known to tear the primary mirror off and replace it with one of my own, but this can get a taste of expensive.
I would like to know if anybody else has trouble with curved mirrors and if so, why. I have found anytime I have been involved with a close call those darn mirrors have had some part in it. I have complained to contractors to no avail; they say they are safe because they are original equipment. I say they are full of hot air; curved mirrors are dangerous and should be replaced with flat mirrors. If you need to see so far to one side, stick a small curved mirror to the flat mirror bottom like the truckers do.

Last edited:

Blademan

Charter Member
Occupation
Operating Engineer
Never really had a problem with mirrors before . When was the last time you had your eyes examined ? Do you wear glasses ? It may be that the strain you are experiencing is when you are overcompensating ( squinting ) while looking into them to focus on a small part of them . I would agree with you ,in a ideal world , I would like both types of mirrors , but I'm happy to just HAVE mirrors as a lot of the junk I've run has always seen their better day , and half the time there are no mirrors by the time i jump on them . If it's been more then a year since you last eye check up , I'd advise to get one . This actually brings up a few issuses I'd like to bring up , but i don't want to hyjack your thread . Hope this helps ,

Rob

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Killdozer,

I was just thinking about this last week when I was backing up my dumptruck. Below the rectangular mirrors, I've got 5"? round, wide angle mirrors and I have a heck of a time seeing in them when backing up. When I was going to college in the early/mid 80's, I hauled lumber to help pay for classes. I don't ever recall having any problems with the wide angle mirrors back then. I'm starting to wonder if it's the fact I turn 40 :( this weekend and I'm not in my early 20's anymore. I'm going in for my annual eye exam next week and was actually planning to ask my doctor if it's time for a new lens prescription.

btw, your fourm name wouldn't have anything to do with the movie "Killdozer" from the late 70's would it? I had nightmares after seeing the movie for months and I got the creeps everytime I walked by a D8 cat :D I still think about that movie when I walk by one of those old D8's ;)

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
I think the only reason for convex mirrors is a wider view to the side.To use them for anything other than to look along side of the machine would be very confusing .I use them all the time on my dump truck for changing lanes etc due to the fact after much practice I can judge distance of upcoming traffic.When you have both mirrors it makes it a lot easier to judge.Try to back up with them just call me MR McGOO depth perception gone.All vehicles should have both large flat ,small convex best of both worlds. Small convex wide view ,Large flat backing up IMHO How about "objects are closer than they appear":rolleyes: