• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mitsubishi S3L2 Droopy Governor

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have a genset with an S3L2 engine on it. Used with a bunch of hours.

Nominal RPM is 1800, fixed by the throttle lever being held by the min/max bolts so that it cannot be moved.

With no load, it will run about 1950 RPM and at full load, it goes down to 1725 or lower. Increasing the fixed throttle position brings it right back up, so engine HP is not the issue, it will just be running too fast at light load if we increase the full loaded speed to 1800.

Most engines of this style will hold their RPM much tighter with load changes. But this is a bit of an orphan so I don't know how others behave, only ever seen one other of its type and it is also run hard and put away wet.

The injection system is similar to many small Kubota, Isuzu, Yanmar, Perkins of its type, PFR pump running off a camshaft in the block and the governor is in the block too.

I have heard about grooves worn in governor sliding parts from running tons of hours at the same rack setting, but never had occasion to try and fix one.

Also, many mech govs will have some type of sensitivity adjustment where the main spring is put a different distance from a fulcrum, but I have little info on this engine to go on.

Anybody have ideas and/or manuals?