• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mixing of hydraulic oil types

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
This question was referred to me today, by the builder I often work for, and I found myself unable to give an authoritative answer.

The machine, a Case 60XT skidloader, was found to be low on hydraulic fluid. One operator (we'll call him JF), didn't know what type to put in. He did know that there was supposed to be "something having to do with an additive" though. A second operator, (we'll call him CG), said to just use hydraulic oil. JF added approximately 5 quarts of Wolf's Head "Tractor HT" hydraulic oil to the machine. This was yesterday.

Today, the job super asked me to try and straigthen out the confusion, (since apparently I'm the only one smart enough to pull out the operator's manual and actually read it.)

The manual says a hydraulic oil change requires 7.1 gallons of 10/30 motor oil, with 1.5 quarts of HTO additive.

The question I'm not able to answer with 100% confidence is, "Will that gallon of Tractor HT fluid have any ill effects on the machine?"

I'm thinking it should be ok, but it shouldn't be a mistake that's ever repeated.

(Any comments on why the machine was allowed to get 5 quarts low on hydraulic fluid need not be addressed to me. I can't remember how long it's been since I was in that machine, but it wasn't recently.)

nedly05

I can't imagine that it would hurt it, but our JD guy told us to get the JD hydraulic oil for our new 410-G HAD TO BE the JD 10W30.:beatsme

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
Have CG take it to THe service plaza and have a complete PM done on Dons machine. The leak is in the quick couplers for the add on hydraulic attachments. In the long run it probably won't hurt it. BUT we know how Don gets don't we?????

Catpower

Occupation
Electrician, equipment operator
mixing oils

Often not the best thing to do. What is the cost of the correct oils. I would give it a long drain time, refill with correct oil and additive and watch to see if it changes at all. Maybe change oil earlier then required and let it have a long drain time. I do know that years ago mixing JD hyd and Ford Hyd made the Ford oil look like it was full of water.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
To the best of my knowlege, the machine has been used daily since I posted this question, with no immediate ill effects. On the other hand, by now it could be that low again and.... :rolleyes:

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I can't imagine that it would hurt it, but our JD guy told us to get the JD hydraulic oil for our new 410-G HAD TO BE the JD 10W30.:beatsme

It's all about the money.Nedly,the senior parts guy here at Nortrax told me any hydraulic oil that meets JD's latest specs is just fine.It's partly in my 410G--runs dandy.

Durette

That's just like the automotive industry. "It's made for your equipment." It's a crock. OEMs don't want you using aftermarket stuff because they lose profit. Ask him WHY you have to use their fluid, and you'll find him long winded about how it's "specially engineered" for your equipment but short on hard facts about exactly why.

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
Case uses this additive in their skidloaders. I've been told it's help with foam control. Case has been using plain old 10W-30 engine oil for years in their skidloader hydraulic systems. We have owned two of the Case skidsteers at work and never had a problem with the hydraulics. One time we lost a lot of fluid, so I put in 3-gallons. I called Case about the HTO additive and the service rep said no sweat. He said if I replaced 4 or 5 gallon to simply get a bottle of HTO and add it to the system. He said it was not a problem to run it without the HTO for a while until I got a bottle. We now have a bottle on the shelf, but have never dumped it in the machine. Adding only five quarts make-up oil to the system he will be fine without any additional HTO if he has not made up a bunch of oil in the system before. Hope this helps.

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
Wolf's Head Tractor HT Hydraulic oil is a 10W-20/30 oil, so he will be fine and should be with in spec.

Another site I visit a posting shows the following ratio on the Case HTO additive:

Add Case HTO additive to this oil in the ratio of 1 part additive to 20 parts oil.