• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mobile home toter truck to haul tagalong?

Wacahootaman

I need to get a truck and trailer to pull my JD 550G crawler. One option that I am considering is a mobile home toter truck. Their short wheel base would make them really good in tight quarters.

Anyone have any IDs on this subject?

The other option would be a single axle dump or flatbed.

Also how do I determine how much weight the 10 ton crawler with trailer puts on the truck before I get one? Because the weight of the dozer is supported by the trailer and the truck together.

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
Why not look into a 6 wheeler dump so it could be used for more than 1 thing? If you get a 6 wheeler dump, look for a 33k gvw size or so. That should be enough to move a 10 ton machine and trailer.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Don't you have a need for a dump? Around here that's all you see hauling equipment unless it's a dedicated tractor and lowboy.

The shorty would be capable, but I think it would be jittery too. A longer wheelbase will offer more stability going down the road. Unless you're hauling mobile homes, why would you want one? The reason they're so short is so they fall within overall length limits while hauling the mobile homes.

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
Tractors and Tags

Mobile home style short tractor OK but pulling a tag trailer creates a vehicle with poor towing characteristics that will get stuck easily. [ weight is behind tow vehicle, not over axle.]
One axle truck trailer on same tractor much more roadworthy and safer for you and your equipment.
A fifteen ton trailer is adequate to haul your 555. Since most small trailers are grossly overrated, some headroom is safe to include.
A short truck trailer can get most of the places a tag can get and tag tires are short lived, compared to truck tires. Your tractor can also pull a dump trailer for trash disposal and dirt and gravel incomes.