• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Morbark 3800 Wood Hog

Sam

These are some pictures of the Wood Hog. This is the first one I ever hauled, and didn't see any threads here, about it.

I played around with a little editing, but I have a lot to learn, there.

Here is a youtube of it, a little over a minute long.
And their website:
http://www.morbark.com/Home/home.htm

I couldn't find the thread on how to intersperse text in between the pictures.

I was told it weighed about 67,000 pounds. The actual weight was about 69,000 pounds. I was 700 pounds over permit.

I loaded this myself, after about 5 minutes with the hand held controller. I would have preferred a more sensitive controller, for an easier drop to the deck, but all in all, it weren't too bad, for a rookie.

Attachments

• Mor Bark 3800 Wood Hog - Solarized.png
    Mor Bark 3800 Wood Hog - Solarized.png
    659.1 KB · Views: 1,744
  • Mor Bark 3800 Wood Hog - 20%.png
    Mor Bark 3800 Wood Hog - 20%.png
    566.3 KB · Views: 1,586
  • Mor Bark 3800 Wood Hog 3 - 20%.png
    Mor Bark 3800 Wood Hog 3 - 20%.png
    597.1 KB · Views: 1,528

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
hi sam, cant see any wheels on that trailer, nothing like that is australia, i have a vermeer grinder, it weighs 32 metric tonnes, model is HG TX 6000, i shift it with a quad axle float (trailer), the deck height is 1 metre, =3 feet 3 inches, dont know how to put pics on this site.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.

first attempt at posting pics.

Attachments

• GRINDER 004.jpg
    GRINDER 004.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,472
  • P6130045.jpg
    P6130045.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,415

Sam

hi sam, cant see any wheels on that trailer, nothing like that is australia, i have a vermeer grinder, it weighs 32 metric tonnes, model is HG TX 6000, i shift it with a quad axle float (trailer), the deck height is 1 metre, =3 feet 3 inches, dont know how to put pics on this site.
Hi, australian pete.
If my math is right, that 32 metric tonnes comes to 70,560 pounds. So, your unit was a little heavier than the one I delivered.

Sorry about the lack of a full shot on the pictures. I just haven't taken the time to cut them down from about 4 megapixels, for quicker uploading.

Here is a shot of a reel of fiber optic cable. It was about 57,000 pounds and 1.5 inches short of 16 feet high. One bridge took about 20 minutes to get under, and then on down the road.

Looks like you're a quick learner, with the pictures. You did good.

I've seen floats with loading ramps similar to yours, but not as heavy. As a personal preference, I don't like them. I like a low profile, with nothing flying in the wind, outside of the load, itself. I do know that they can be very practical, on the job.

Attachments

• Reel - Fiber Optic - 15 feet 11 Inches Tall -35%.jpg
    Reel - Fiber Optic - 15 feet 11 Inches Tall -35%.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,444

Sam

Ok, I cut it down and messed with a couple of color settings. I'm no editing expert, so it is what it is... :D

Attachments

• Wood Hog & Trailer.png
    Wood Hog & Trailer.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 1,613

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
hi sam, did you load that grinder over the rear wheels ? would have been doing some rocking and rolling climbing over that and coming down to the deck. i only use my float to move my 2 excavators and grinder, would be hard without ramps, often on building sites we have very limited access, would be impossible with your trailer, i dont think i have seen a trailer like yours in australia, i guess you must do a lot of high loads.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Hi, australian pete.
If my math is right, that 32 metric tonnes comes to 70,560 pounds. So, your unit was a little heavier than the one I delivered.

Sorry about the lack of a full shot on the pictures. I just haven't taken the time to cut them down from about 4 megapixels, for quicker uploading.

Here is a shot of a reel of fiber optic cable. It was about 57,000 pounds and 1.5 inches short of 16 feet high. One bridge took about 20 minutes to get under, and then on down the road.

Looks like you're a quick learner, with the pictures. You did good.

I've seen floats with loading ramps similar to yours, but not as heavy. As a personal preference, I don't like them. I like a low profile, with nothing flying in the wind, outside of the load, itself. I do know that they can be very practical, on the job.
i dont know the conversion however that morbark looks bigger than my grinder, there are 1000 kilos in a metric tonne.

Sam

hi sam, did you load that grinder over the rear wheels ? would have been doing some rocking and rolling climbing over that and coming down to the deck. i only use my float to move my 2 excavators and grinder, would be hard without ramps, often on building sites we have very limited access, would be impossible with your trailer, i dont think i have seen a trailer like yours in australia, i guess you must do a lot of high loads.
Pete, I've never loaded anything over the rear wheels.

This is a removable goose neck. I detach the neck, and move the truck with the neck, so that it is out of the way, for loading and unloading.

If you have the Firefox browser, there is an extension called Image Zoom. You can zoom the picture, and get a better look at the air and electrical connections.
This is the site for the USA version of Firefox:
http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

I couldn't upload a pdf brochure, because it is a little too big, for the forum settings.
Here is a link on a file sharing site:
Fontaine DD RGN Diagram.pdf - 0.18MB

I uploaded a picture of a scraper, with the back wheels over the back wheels of the trailer. This is the same one in my avatar.

The 360 link in my signature, has a few pictures, as well. I do high, wide and heavy, when it is motivating. I do like light loads, though.:D

Attachments

• A Large Scraper, Truck, Trailer.jpg
    A Large Scraper, Truck, Trailer.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,295

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
We don't bother loading ours on a trailer, it has it's own wheels! =D

7800 series

n610550351_361862_9400.jpg

n610550351_361863_9729.jpg

That thing is a beast. It will chop up anything! Before they replaced the chompers in it last time they were tossing bits of metal etc into it to see what would happen. Little tiny chunks up chopped up metal happened.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Pete, I've never loaded anything over the rear wheels.

This is a removable goose neck. I detach the neck, and move the truck with the neck, so that it is out of the way, for loading and unloading.

If you have the Firefox browser, there is an extension called Image Zoom. You can zoom the picture, and get a better look at the air and electrical connections.
This is the site for the USA version of Firefox:
http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

I couldn't upload a pdf brochure, because it is a little too big, for the forum settings.
Here is a link on a file sharing site:
Fontaine DD RGN Diagram.pdf - 0.18MB

I uploaded a picture of a scraper, with the back wheels over the back wheels of the trailer. This is the same one in my avatar.

The 360 link in my signature, has a few pictures, as well. I do high, wide and heavy, when it is motivating. I do like light loads, though.:D
sam, that is an unusual trailer, i dont think we have anything like that is australia.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.

7800 series

That thing is a beast. It will chop up anything! Before they replaced the chompers in it last time they were tossing bits of metal etc into it to see what would happen. Little tiny chunks up chopped up metal happened.
my last grinder was on wheels, track machine easier and quicker to move around site and does not get stuck in mud like wheeled grinders, yes they will much steel however the tips, hammers and sceen are not a pretty sight after pieces of steel have gone through, not very cost effective either..

Sam

Vantage_TeS, what is the weight on that monster?

Pete, there are a few of these trailers on the road, here, but not as many as the traditional lowboys.

They have a longer well, and with the removable goose neck, it can do loads that other lowboys and double drops cannot do.

Here is another shot, loaded with a 50,000 pound spreader.

Attachments

• Spreader - Loaded.jpg
    Spreader - Loaded.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,249

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
sam, it looks good to me, you would save a bit of weight not having ramps and you can have a very low trailer.not suitable for what i do as i do mostly short distances and a lot of tight spots to load and unload.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
I'd like to make a correction, its the 7600 series I don't think they make a 7800.

106,500lbs with 1,200 HP =D

They were replacing the insides anyways so they figured heck why not?

Tacodriver

Occupation
Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..

7800 series

Looks like that was near the golf course at Three sisters in Canmore.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Morbark Woodhog.

Tacodriver you are bang on with your guess, we did the earth moving/land clearing for that course.

9Axle

Occupation
heavy haul driver 9axle
sam i am

havent seen u around in awhile looking good lets see more pics:D

Attachments

• 100_1147.jpg
    100_1147.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 387
  • 100_1204.jpg
    100_1204.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 383

Sam

havent seen u around in awhile looking good lets see more pics:D
Hi, 9Axle. How ya' been?
I've been keeping a low profile. Trouble misses me more, that way. :D

I took a trip up to Nova Scotia, in late Spring, and met this beast..

And, just for something a little more stimulating:

This is Candy and that is a pipe layer. I don't know the other guy. There was some question about the weight of this thing, after it was loaded. The permits were ordered, based on 60,000 pounds. This was the first time in the history of that machine, that they took off the counter-weights. It took a while...

Attachments

• Toothy - 833 - WaterMarked.png
    Toothy - 833 - WaterMarked.png
    563.7 KB · Views: 383
  • Candy at Truck Stop in Ogallala, NE.jpg
    Candy at Truck Stop in Ogallala, NE.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 383
Last edited: