• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

More License Requirements 2022

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Interesting I took the test in an automatic with a pintle hook trailer and don't have ant restrictions

California used to have an advertisement in the back of their CDL handbook for a company with a little straight truck that had air brakes and a synchro 5 speed pulling a little pintle trailer, you could rent for the test. Helped pay for the printing I guess. That would not be allowed today without restrictions. But if you simply changed it to a gooseneck 5th wheel I bet it would still check all the boxes and be OK.

excavator

They are pushing for driverless truck to haul our freight. The government subsidizes and funds the R&D on such. How do you make it actually work? Make it more and more difficult to operate the system that they want to replace.

Truck Shop

The fact we are stuck on air brake endorsements-Look under Federal Mandate 396.25 and section 3 {A}. Technically most of you folks can't
touch anything to do with your brakes or repair them. If you get pulled for a level 1 inspection and DOT finds brakes out of adjustment you
cannot adjust them without a {Brake Inspection Certification Card in your wallet. I have been carrying a card for 30 plus years.

If you contact a PacCar or any other truck dealer you can find out when Stemco is putting on a brake school. Attend, listen and ask questions
you will receive a certificate and card upon completion of class.

Heavywrenching

Has anyone gotten their CDL since these new rules went into effect? Or anyone with info on the new process of getting a CDL. I made the mistake of not getting it done before hand. I was assured that the new rules “were just a rumor” and now here we are. I need my class B for sure possibly just get the A if it’s not too much more hassle or money.

cw4Bray

I feel sorry for any truck owner with a licensed weight over 26,001. who may be looking for a driver.
Truck-Memes-DOT-Stop.jpg

cfherrman

Has anyone gotten their CDL since these new rules went into effect? Or anyone with info on the new process of getting a CDL. I made the mistake of not getting it done before hand. I was assured that the new rules “were just a rumor” and now here we are. I need my class B for sure possibly just get the A if it’s not too much more hassle or money.

Your screwed, if you got your permit before February you could get grandfathered in.

I have a class b, apparently I can still get an a the only way.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I renewed the last time too. I'll probably keep getting medicals until it plays out in 2027. Years ago I dropped mine down to intrastate, as nobody I work for leaves Washington.
I have a neighbor that says you don't need a physical if you are just doing intrastate. I get my physicals only because it's possible for me to do inspections on trucks in other states. Does all this sound right?

crane operator

My county has their own "trainer" and is now permitted to hold their own classes and train their own drivers, they won't train any outside drivers. Of course the $$ doesn't mean much to them, just put it in the budget.

I'm seeing mostly 3 week courses in what I've looked at for sending one of my employee's to this winter. $4-6,000.

I think if I wanted to get a "B" on the cheap, I'd try to get hired to be a "part time" emergency bus driver at the local school district, and they would likely pay for the training.

skyking1

@John C.
No. I got a nastygram from DOL after I got my medical, because I had not sent it to them. You can scan and email it, upload it, or do as I did and take it in to the office. It is right down 112th from the office.

cfherrman

If you are intrastate only you don't need a medical card, but you need to go to the DMV and switch your license type first, but you can drive in state only with your CDL.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I take it that you don't need a med if you don't operate a commercial vehicle. Say maybe your a farmer hauling grain off your field or operating a dump truck moving material between two sites on your property. Just a guess?

I did my last physical in June. I'll be seventy when the next one comes up.

Heavywrenching

As I suspected I made a big mistake not getting it sooner and this is going to be a PITA. I need my class B so I can move from the shop to a service truck. Might get lucky enough to find someone who needs a field mechanic bad enough that they would pay for me to get it… I just think that it’ll be a lot easier to make the move if I already have the CDL. I had a friend who was going to quit and they ended up throwing him in a kw service truck because he already had his class B. I’m an IUOE mechanic currently and I could do the CDL training through the union next year for free, but it still take like 14 days of training through them.

cfherrman

The field will balance out with employers paying to get cdls, rates will go up, so the customers will pay more, you will just have to wait a year or two. For those who have a CDL you should expect to get paid a lot more now, used to get 2/hr more and now I think it's worth 4/hr more.

Im in Kansas and my buddy went to the DMV and got a permit in February and he asked them all kinds of questions including for my case to get an a, but what I am sure of in this work with CDL and other commercial questions you get a different answer with every person you talk to including hypos, DMV, etc lol

If your worried about being 'commerical', never get a 1 ton truck, always f250. Of the hop hypos stop more duallys with trailers then trucks because anyone can drive them and they often don't know proper loading. F250's are also tagged correctly with a 10k# tag than makes them not 'commerical' while nearly every 1 ton is. You will get a ton of different answers here too but this is the easiest one.