• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

More of a rant....

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
More of a rant....
So whose idea was it to build a 4wd service truck... As cool and as able as it may be I just priced up replacement steer axle shafts...
5k a side....
And 3-4 months away.
Seriously.
I do like my truck but really....?!
Someone give me some wisdom
Marmon Herrington MT17

cosmaar1

More of a rant....
So whose idea was it to build a 4wd service truck... As cool and as able as it may be I just priced up replacement steer axle shafts...
5k a side....
And 3-4 months away.
Seriously.
Marmon Herrington MT17
What’s the truck?

Welder Dave

Is anything aftermarket available? Just think a lot of people mod 4x4's so maybe there are stronger/better axles available and perhaps cheaper than OEM. Price of parts for anything is way out of hand.

Old Doug

My first vehicle was a jeep and i live in a part of the country were 4 wd is use full and my main two rigs are 4wd but not my first choice . I wasnt forced to buy them its just a lot harder to find a 2wd pickup. I guess you have to weigh the benifits against the extra cost and troubles.

crane operator

More of a rant....
5k a side....
And 3-4 months away.
Seriously.
Marmon Herrington MT17

Marmon Herrington doesn't build a lot of those FWD systems, Got a part # for the shafts? Weller truck parts shows some inventoried parts.

There's also full used axles around.

cfherrman

There's a guy building a 4x4 service truck or wrecker out front f a medium duty international. I told him it was a bad idea and tire chains work better than 4x4

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Truck is a 2001 Freightliner FL80
Oilfield spec
Don't get me wrong.... It's a deadly unit. Walks places most can't.
I've sent a couple emails. Not too keen on a complete used axle (which I found) as who knows how worn it may be.
I shouldn't complain that much as the truck has paid for itself a million times over. Just ten k for a pair of axle shafts....

cfherrman

What does oilfield spec mean, I don't think you could spec a fl80 that tough.

There's a service rig with a fwd and it's completely useless, it also weighs 65-70k#

MG84

There's a guy building a 4x4 service truck or wrecker out front f a medium duty international. I told him it was a bad idea and tire chains work better than 4x4
I agree, I love my 4wd pickups but not a big fan of 4wd medium duty trucks. Too tall, heavy, high maintenance costs, less drivetrain choices, and not as capable as you’d think. There is a reason why they are so few and far between.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
They just took delivery of 2 new F350 4x4 4 door with an 8 foot box what a grocery getter. Over 80 grand each. That's crazy. Only reason any of our work trucks are 4x4 is for snow. We don't do a lot of jobs that would require it. Our service and welding trucks are just rear wheel drives. My work truck is 2 wheel drive and it gets me to site no problem. I agree with the too tall statement. They ordered both trucks without running boards, and I would need a step stool to get in them.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Truck is a 2001 Freightliner FL80
Oilfield spec
Don't get me wrong.... It's a deadly unit. Walks places most can't.
I've sent a couple emails. Not too keen on a complete used axle (which I found) as who knows how worn it may be.
I shouldn't complain that much as the truck has paid for itself a million times over. Just ten k for a pair of axle shafts....
If you have run it for 22 years, and the axles have lasted this long, and you need them..... Just bite the bullet and get them. Still cheaper than a new truck.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
That old ford is sub zero cool...
Agree with many of the points you guys have said
Undoubtedly by the end of the week I'll have ordered them since the exchange will kill me bringing anything across the border.
And as much as I'll whine about it for another couple weeks, I wouldn't change my truck for anything different.

cfherrman

They just took delivery of 2 new F350 4x4 4 door with an 8 foot box what a grocery getter. Over 80 grand each. That's crazy. Only reason any of our work trucks are 4x4 is for snow. We don't do a lot of jobs that would require it. Our service and welding trucks are just rear wheel drives. My work truck is 2 wheel drive and it gets me to site no problem. I agree with the too tall statement. They ordered both trucks without running boards, and I would need a step stool to get in them.

Srw or drw?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Srw or drw?
Single. One is for the pipe crew, it has no box, and will be fitted with a compartment type box and a lift tailgate. Their foreman works year round, and plows snow, so 4x4 is useful. Second will keep the fleet side box and get a lift gate, and a couple bed mounted tool boxes for the paving crew. They do snow removal, and need 4x4 as well. Crazy price

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Hope you got the 10,000 tag option

It's a complete waste to get a f350 srw over a f250 imo
Not my money. Neither truck will ever haul a trailer. The pipe truck will never see anyone in the back seat, and the paving truck will never carry anything heavier than I haul around in my F150 work truck. The heavy stuff is in the service truck. No idea why they spent the money. The pipe truck could have been a regular cab 250, and the pavers could have made due with a crew cab 150, 4x4