• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

most common grader

Grader4me

Deas Plant said:
This wouldn't have been so bad except that there were no brakes due to both fluid reservoirs having been stepped on in the recent past by some clod-hoppered idiot of a past operator. So, there were times when you needed the transmission to behave impeccably - - - - and times when it didn't - - - - - and times when these two times coincided. It made for an interesting day.

You all have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

I guess I just must be spoiled or something. I wouldn't operate nothing that didn't have brakes, period.:eek:
It wouldn't be to bad while you was working it in the lower gears etc. but probally a little dangerous driving down the road.
Years ago a person seemed to take more chances with equipment compared to today. If a person wasn't willing to operate the equipment the way it was,then to bad, someone else would. Can't put bread on the table that way, so you took your chances.
Nowadays most companies keep their equipment safe to operate, or if not I would hope that an operator would refuse to work for them.
Don't take chances operating faulty equipment....there are so many other choices...

Deas Plant

The Times They Are A'changing.

Hi, Grader4me.
You're right about the times changing. That big grader never had to go on the road. It was all on-site work, just wandering around doing haul roads and grading fills and all sorts of other little jobs, mostly playing with machine that were bigger than it anyway.

And you know the REALLY STOOPIDDDDDDDD thing about the manufacturer's choosing to use that Morse transmission control in that application. I mentioned that it had detents to stop you changing down more than one gear at a time. Well there was even a detent on first so that you couldn't change down from second straight through first to neutral. GREAT THINKING, THAT.

And Steve, you are not altogether right about the lawyers. I have never yet met a hungry lawyer. In their case, It's GREED, PURE AND SIMPLE GREED.

Catchyalater.

You allhave a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Deas Plant

Diplomacy and truth.

Hi, Steve.
Sure, there are times when it's worth being diplomatic but very often the first casualty of diplomacy IS the truth. I often wonder if it's worth it when truth goes out the window. Which is a large part of why I have absolutely no problem with the service personnel of both our countries doing their bit in places around the world where the truth and the freedom to speak it has been a casualty.

It was said many years ago that in the communist countries, you had freedom of speech but in the Western world you had freedom even after speech. I Like my freedom.

I tend more toward honesty and truth than diplomacy. I usually call a spade a spade and sometimes I even call it some strange kind of shovel with reproductive powers.

My last employer didn't like me telling him the truth about one of his machines over the phone one day and hung up on me. It seemed to me that if the boot were on the other foot and I had hung up on him, he would not have been a happy little camper so I didn't see why I should accept that from him. I don't work there any more and he can throw his 'tanties' at somebody else.

Grader4me, glad you like 'em but I don't post 'em like that to be liked. I post 'em like that to get the truth as I see it out there and I do stand to be corrected when I am wrong - as in the case of the missing zeroes in the big blade plough thread.

Catchyalater.

Deas Plant

THAT good chat.

Hi, Steve.
I suspect you may be right but, if it ever eventuates, bring your best thirst 'cos I don't drink alco-wholic beverages. That however would not stop me sitting down to chat with a 6-pack of sodas (See. I can at least speak some 'American'.) while you worked your way through the beer.

If you want to drop me an e-mail at dplant8961 at yahoo.com, I'll e-mail a work-in-progress manuscript of some of the stories that I have collected over the years. You may get a chuckle or two out of it.

Grader4me, if you want to drop me an e-mail for a copy of that manuscript, feel free.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Sure, there are times when it's worth being diplomatic but very often the first casualty of diplomacy IS the truth.

I have a wee bit o' Irish in my pedigree, and I've been accused of Irish Diplomacy. That's defined as, "telling a man to go to hell in such a way that he looks forward to making the trip." :yup

Deas Plant

'Irish diplomacy'

Hi, digger242j.
Would you care to post the 'recipe' for that one, please. Sounds like it might have a few applications as I get further into fossilisation and less able to 'dance' to avoid the punches from those not so keen on making the journey according to my current invitation - which usually consists of but 3 words.

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Deas Plant said:
Would you care to post the 'recipe' for that one, please. Sounds like it might have a few applications as I get further into fossilisation and less able to 'dance' to avoid the punches from those not so keen on making the journey according to my current invitation - which usually consists of but 3 words.

I'm afraid the recipe is in the genes. If you want to try a seance, you might ask Great Grandma O'Donnell, or Great Grandma O'Hanlon, but chances are they wouldn't take kindly to being disturbed, and you wouldn't get the benefit of any diplomacy, Irish or otherwise...