• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Motor oil vs. Hydraulic fluid.

Tinkerer

Here is part of an interesting post by an employee of dealership. It is on another website I like to read on.

"1)The reason the Hytran was discontinued is because the revised Hy-tran Ultraction formula (changed for for the Magnum CVT tractors mainly) had an acidic chemical reaction with certain hoses and internal components of the hydraulic system in the Patriot sprayers. The acid developed quickly under operating conditions with high humidity and high temperatures. It was first seen in the Rio Grande Valley and Corpus Christi areas. The acid quickly destroyed numerous wheel motors and other hydraulic components and became a huge headache to our dealerships in that area.
2) the first engineering response was a field mod program to add the anti corrosive additive. A stop-gap measure.
3) the second engineering response was to switch to 10W30 engine oil, additive not required. The properties of this engine oil are not suitable for all operating temperatures and environments in a 6300-psi system and although a bulletin was released advising dealers to go this route, it was quickly retracted through back channels... even though the bulletin itself was never cancelled or revised. Several dealerships including one of ours ordered a lot of 10W30 oil to service Patriot sprayer hydraulics and then never sold a drop of it.
4) the final solution was to switch to an existing Case Construction premium (and expensive) hydraulic fluid used in excavators.
P/N B67301 for a 5-gallon bucket. Do NOT use the special additive; it isn't needed. B67301 has a superb anticorrosion and anti-wear additive formulation; when we started using it in the Patriot sprayers, our wheel motor problems went away. And if you think your off-the-shelf AW46 spec oil is equal to the base stock and additive package that this fluid contains, go ahead and use it. Your short-term bargain savings will likely cost you some wheel motors and hydrostats in the very near future
5) you do not have to drain every last drop of Hy-tran out of your system. The amount of Hy-tran left in a 40 gallon hydraulic system is minimal and there is no chemical reaction between the Hy-tran and the excavator fluid"

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Yesterday I pulled my owners manual for my SV450B. It says the factory fill for the hyd. system is 10w-30. However it does mention the "excavator fluid" can be used for very cold climates. It says the 10w-30 is still useable at very cold temps if you let the machine warm up prior to use (probably why it is the factory fill...and its cheaper I am sure). It also mentions using 00w-40 as an option. I tried posting a picture of it but was having issues with that. It illustrates the different temp ranges of the different oil. I had heard about the changes to Hytran but the post here lays that issue out very well.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
This argument seems to go open forever. I believe it is all about the petroleum industry creating churn. In the sixties engine oils were not recommended because they didn't have an additive to prevent foaming. Poclain came out with piston pumps and high pressure hydraulic systems and used Dexron. International came out using Hytran in transmissions. All the Japanese excavators that were imported to North America used AW fluids and somewhere in the mid 2000s started recommending engine oils. Next I heard was Hitachi wanting special oils with reduced or no zinc. Each time a recommendation changes the price goes up. The machine life never changed as that was regulated by accumulated damage and poor maintenance.

I'm a fan of one oil for the entire machine. The issue though is cost. When I was handling oils at the coal mines I worked at, AW oils were $1.99 per gallon and engine oils were around $4.50 a gallon. Not much to think about there. Blow a pump output hose on a loading shovel or a big wheel loader and it cost half as much to replace that oil.

In essence; pumps, motors and cylinders don't care what oil is used as long as it has a touch of lubricity and not a huge amount of detergent. It's actually the seals that matter. All kinds of space age chemistry is being tried to make them last longer. In my view it doesn't make a whole lot of difference what oil you use as long as it is clean.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
This argument seems to go open forever. I believe it is all about the petroleum industry creating churn. In the sixties engine oils were not recommended because they didn't have an additive to prevent foaming. Poclain came out with piston pumps and high pressure hydraulic systems and used Dexron. International came out using Hytran in transmissions. All the Japanese excavators that were imported to North America used AW fluids and somewhere in the mid 2000s started recommending engine oils. Next I heard was Hitachi wanting special oils with reduced or no zinc. Each time a recommendation changes the price goes up. The machine life never changed as that was regulated by accumulated damage and poor maintenance.

I'm a fan of one oil for the entire machine. The issue though is cost. When I was handling oils at the coal mines I worked at, AW oils were $1.99 per gallon and engine oils were around $4.50 a gallon. Not much to think about there. Blow a pump output hose on a loading shovel or a big wheel loader and it cost half as much to replace that oil.

In essence; pumps, motors and cylinders don't care what oil is used as long as it has a touch of lubricity and not a huge amount of detergent. It's actually the seals that matter. All kinds of space age chemistry is being tried to make them last longer. In my view it doesn't make a whole lot of difference what oil you use as long as it is clean.
We had a mechanic that worked underground for years. I blew a brake line on the old 730 Champion grader. He fixed it up, and got me going. Next morning I could not press the brake peddle. He came and checked it out, and had one of those moments. The mine he worked at, the underground grader used automatic transmission fluid for the brakes. The half quart or so that he used to top up my master cylinder, swelled all the rubbers so big, the whole system had to be flushed and redone.

Delmer

The brake fluid vs mineral oil for brake and clutch cylinders kills a lot of seals, some cylinders even have the wrong markings on the cap!

As far as "excavator oil", yes it's a ridiculous name, but so is hygard, or hytran, or Xtreme for that matter. It's not the name that makes it better. If CIH says that's their best oil for higher pressure hydraulics, that's the spec I'd trust, even if they called it "Billy Jim Bob's best excavator oil".

Tyler d4c

Hytran makes sense it's for hydraulics and transmission in its original application
Hy gard is because deere copied international and with deere everything is gard. Aka service gard for there tools

blitz138

Hey all, I have worked in the lubricant industry for several years in mining. Motor oil had more additives than is needed for fire hydraulics but will work. The major difference is motor oil has an emulsifier additive, meaning it will hold water in suspension. Almost all other oils will naturally demulsify, separate from water.
An engine will, by design reach temperatures to evaporate the water.

Water contamination in A hydraulic system with engine oil will hold the water until it becomes peanut butter. Hydraulic oil will separate, making it possible to drain it off.

10w-30 is 25-30 viscosity oil. Sounds light but as the temperature rises the 10w-30 will not thin out as rapidly as a straight hydraulic oil.

Hope this helps

blitz138

Also engine oil is not sheer stable, it will shear. Different polymers are used in hydraulic oil and engine oils. At work I would not go against an oem recommendation, on my equipment I would never, NEVER use engine oil in a hydraulic system. Think about the pressure differences.

Aceofspades

Yesterday I pulled my owners manual for my SV450B. It says the factory fill for the hyd. system is 10w-30. However it does mention the "excavator fluid" can be used for very cold climates. It says the 10w-30 is still useable at very cold temps if you let the machine warm up prior to use (probably why it is the factory fill...and its cheaper I am sure). It also mentions using 00w-40 as an option. I tried posting a picture of it but was having issues with that. It illustrates the different temp ranges of the different oil. I had heard about the changes to Hytran but the post here lays that issue out very well.
Sorry, but I didn't specifically ask. You use 10w-30 and it seems to work okay for you?

Thanks again.

Welder Dave

10W-30 engine oil was specified in thousands of skid steers for at least a couple decades. They stopped specifying it for a while and now it seems it's specified again. It's hard to keep track. Most trans., diff. and hyd. fluid for tractors is a 10W-30 viscosity and is often specified by repair shops as a good oil to use. It's funny how most name brand oils say they meet certain specs. of equipment manufacturers oils such as Cat, JD or CNH, etc. Knowing which oils are better or which specs. are the best to use in your machine becomes a toss of the dice in a lot of cases. Bobcat now has their own special fluid that apparently doesn't cross to anything else and of course is much more expensive. Is it better or is it a waste of money could only be determined by running the different oils in identical machines and seeing if there is a significant difference in performance and/or longevity of components. Interestingly a lot of OEM's don't make their own hyd. components so it seems it might be better to go by the recommendations of the component manufacturers rather than the manufacturer of the machine.