• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mowing hills with JD 333 G

jules083

Hello, new here with a question.

I'm 39 and have been on tractors and lived on a farm all my life. My dad recently bought a new JD 333G high flow ctl with a heavy mower on the front, I believe it's a 7' mower.

I have some land to clear. It's relatively free of stumps, but it's steep. I'm concerned about rolling this thing. I know I won't get hurt, I'm more concerned about equipment damage.

How much of a hill can I really work this thing on? Obviously I can't go fast and go sideways across a 30 degree slope, but what about going up and down? The way the terrain is I can't back up everything, some of it I'll be starting at the bottom and going up as far as possible then backing down. I have one of those cheap tilt meter gauges, at what point do I need to think about stopping?

I've heard that with the mower on the front you almost can't flip it backwards, it'll run out of traction first, but I'm obviously skeptical of that.

Thanks for any tips, I appreciate it.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Start at the bottom and work uphill for 2 reasons. With the weight of the mower makes backing up hill almost impossible so trying to wriggle away from dropoffs, stumps or rocks is the most likely time you'll experience a loss of gravity. Rubber tracks can be tretious in damp conditions on hillsides even with just dew on the ground will send you sliding. So having a cleared area behind gives you a place to drive the machine under some control without to much drama

jules083

Start at the bottom and work uphill for 2 reasons. With the weight of the mower makes backing up hill almost impossible so trying to wriggle away from dropoffs, stumps or rocks is the most likely time you'll experience a loss of gravity. Rubber tracks can be tretious in damp conditions on hillsides even with just dew on the ground will send you sliding. So having a cleared area behind gives you a place to drive the machine under some control without to much drama
Makes sense, thanks for the tips.