• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

multi purpose bucket hyd cylinder upgrade?

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
i noticed that when i broke down the jaw cylinders that there is no wear sleeve in the head of cylinder, just below the packing its solid steel, i have noticed that there is a type 2 kit that has a 2" ring or sleeve made of the same material that is on the piston the band with the angle slice in it, now it that an upgrade or just a different type head, iam a also a journey machinist and can see that a blind bore could be done and accept sleeve, is it worth doing this or should i just leave it be ? i do not like the cast iron on rod scenario but thats the way it was when torn down, what kind of clearance is allowable, 1 is too tight had to tap it off sledge hammer other was real loose and both are galled thanks anthony 955 85j07794

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It seems like the material of the head was changed.

It is not necessary to machine a groove in earlier heads to accommodate the added wear ring. Earlier heads are hardened and have a smaller inside diameter to give more support to the rod. However, these wear rings can, if needed, be installed in earlier heads.

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
thanks nige, i did notice that the rods where unharmed the head took all the galling, would you have a part number on the bands for 2" rods anthony

Nige

Sorry I forgot about this one.
Does the cylinder barrel have a plate on it.? If so can you read the numbers or post a photo.?
Also can you see a Part Number cast into the head anywhere..?
The original bucket clamshell cylinders for this machine (see below) had chevron-type packing in them, so it's important to identify what cylinders you have now.

upload_2020-4-25_17-8-41.png

Nige

It seems as though there are three wear ring options for a 2" diameter rod. Which one of those options is correct for your cylinder will depend on the amount of meat that exists between the buffer seal groove and the end of the head. There is a machining procedure that I can send to you, but which option of wear ring will be used has to be determined first.
8T-8205 is 0.79" wide.
4T-5613 is 0.98" wide.
8T-7030 is 1.25" wide.

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
top cap is 5j8784, i noticed that there maybe a sleeve already pressed in did they come that way there is a grove about 3/8" from inner edge , i was thinking it would upgrade to the fiber sleeve maybe it takes and looks like cast sleeve thanks

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
checked rods and head bores, both head bores 2.009 + - 001, rod# 1 at 1.999 #2 1.994 + - .001 is this clearance satisfactory #2 seems a little loose and #1 a bit tight

Nige

top cap is 5j8784, i noticed that there maybe a sleeve already pressed in did they come that way there is a grove about 3/8" from inner edge , i was thinking it would upgrade to the fiber sleeve maybe it takes and looks like cast sleeve thanks
Can you post some photos of the 5J-8784 head..? From what i can see it was designed for chevron-type packing. Does the head #19 on your cyinder have the bolt-on cap #15 to secure the packings #9 ..?

upload_2020-4-27_0-35-15.png

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
that ring is where the washer was bumping against the head, yes there are 4 bolts and a seal that go on top

Attachments

• MVC-004L.JPG
    MVC-004L.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 11

Nige

that ring is where the washer was bumping against the head, yes there are 4 bolts and a seal that go on top
That type of head does not appear to be suitable for modification to include a fibre wear ring. Check the illustration below and note the seal layout for the type of head assembly that can be modified. It is significantly different to yours. I don't know if the head could be machined to take a wear ring without compromising its integrity.

upload_2020-4-27_16-47-28.png

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
i see it is a totally different cylinder, has any one done the repack on the v seals?, i read its zero fit , i take it that means no pressure on the v pack from the top,