• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mustang 440 skidsteer V6?

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
4.3 gm engine has flywheel housing and intake from boat shouldn’t be to hard to get parts or find another engine

Welder Dave

It's way overkill but still needs the RPM limited to about 2800 RPM and a governor to give consistent torque. I knew a guy that thought he could replace a Waukesha diesel in a big generator with the a gas engine out of a vehicle. It was the back up generator for his chicken farm. Very necessary in case of a power outage. He had put a Chevy 305 or 350 in an old forklift so figured he could do the same with the generator. He figured a gas engine was just a lot easier to deal with and would start easier in the cold. He put a couple starters on the Waukesha that annoyed him too. I think he just wasn't familiar enough with diesels. It was a requirement that he had to start the generator once a month just to make sure it would work if required. He owned an auto repair shop and salvage yard too but had no concept of governors or that they were kind of built in on diesels. I asked him how he was going to control RPM under different loads. On a forklift you can adjust the throttle as needed but a generator needs much more precise control. I think he figured if he had enough HP the speed wouldn't vary much. In the end I think he took a good running generator and basically turned it into scrap.

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I wonder if it’s an industrial 4.3 like you’d find in a forklift. If so and assuming it’s more or less as it was born it shouldn’t turn more than 3,000 rpm give or take. Heck that motor will outlast the entire machine and leave you a power plant for something else. You almost can’t kill those 4.3’s with some periodic maintenance. Interesting choice for a swap though…..

Welder Dave

Definitely helps if it is an industrial engine. Maybe if the RPM was limited it could be ran half decently using a throttle pedal??

bobdavis2010

I spoke to the owner that put the v6 in the 440 he said he never got it running (Unfinished project) I can clearly see that because there’s wires all over nothing is actually hooked up. I attempted to start the V6. I want to see if the hydraulics work if they do then I’m going to buy a smaller motor. I really don’t wanna put any more money into it unless the hydraulics work. Is the hydraulic system on that 440 pretty bulletproof? all lines are intact. All cylinders are there as well intact. I took a battery and turned the motor over hooked a wire from the distributor straight to the battery. There is power there but no fire going to have to take the distributor cap off and see what’s going on inside. I just haven’t had no time.

Welder Dave

It's almost impossible to tell what shape the hyd's. and Hydrostatic drive pumps and motors are in. You don't want to start the engine until you are sure the pumps are full of oil and primed. The hyd's. for the loader are minor compared to hydrostat pumps and motors. Those are thousands of dollars each!

When you talked to the owner did he give you any info on the motor and why it was put in and also how the machine ran before the motor switch?

Old Doug

You would think the first guy know something about the machine and thought it was worth putting a engine in? I bought a Case 1835 with the engine missing . I then bought a ford car . It had a 4 cylinder fuel injected coil pack engine . I made a intake for a carb and rigged a points typ distributor to the end of the over head cam. I built a stand for it that was the right height to go in the machine and made it a place to set when i made sure it would run. I got it running and got a coupler for the drive. I was ready to install it . It sat around for a few months then one day i was going buy a tractor dealer and they had a case 1835 on the front row for some were under $3500.00 . My brain spun around and around on what to do. I ended up buying the running one. I had used other peoples skid steers and borrowed my brothers for weekends at a time but owning my own has made it very clear how handy they are. Looking back i dont regret what i did . I had 2 engines that would have been a better easyer deal than what i started to use but had other plans. Life is a big gamble sometime you make the wright move and win some times you dont.

Welder Dave

You'd think the machine was worth putting another engine in but if the original engine was beyond repair what was the reason, abuse, poor maintenance, etc.? That's why it's hard to tell if the hydrostat and hyd's. are in good shape or on their last legs.

bobdavis2010

It's almost impossible to tell what shape the hyd's. and Hydrostatic drive pumps and motors are in. You don't want to start the engine until you are sure the pumps are full of oil and primed. The hyd's. for the loader are minor compared to hydrostat pumps and motors. Those are thousands of dollars each!

When you talked to the owner did he give you any info on the motor and why it was put in and also how the machine ran before the motor switch?
He said the motor had low compression

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Why didn't he just fix it then? Would be a lot easier than all the work he did to put a different engine in.
Because he probably had his Astro Van "project" in the yard and figured why the hell not.;)

If the compression is good enough, it shouldn't be too hard to get going. At least it's old enough to simply wire up and swap a working carb on it.

bobdavis2010

I agree if I had the original motor, I would try to rebuild it, but he probably had that laying out in the yard and put it in. I tried to start it, but I can’t get no fire. I got it turning over there is power to the single wire coming off the distributor but no spark trying to figure out why.